Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Change!!! Royal Purple?...Or not to Royal Purple?....That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by todd92
Why on earth do so many of you go to the dealership to get oil changes? There is no reason to EVER go back to a dealer except for warranty repairs. Dealer service departments are for the most part awful.
agreed 100%
Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why on earth do so many of you go to the dealership to get oil changes? There is no reason to EVER go back to a dealer except for warranty repairs. Dealer service departments are for the most part awful.
Where should we go? All the quick-change places are much worse than the dealer.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
todd92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first choice for an oil change is DYI it takes 30 min tops. After that a local independent garage where you have a relationship with the mechanic. You do have that, now, don't you? Where do you go for non-warranty repairs on cars? I hope not a new car dealer.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to do my own oil changes when I knew someone who burned the old oil in their furnace. Still do my own brakes because no one seems to take the 5 minutes extra to do them right.

The first choice for an oil change is DYI it takes 30 min tops.
Will you do mine??? Because it would take me 30 minutes just to:
1) Get out the ramps.
2) Find something to but under them so they don't dig into my driveway.
3) Find something to drive up on so the ramps don't hit the front bumper.

Then You have the time spent going to get the new supplies, doing the actual change, putting the old oil back in the containers, bagging up the old filter so it doesn't leak all over the garbage can and driving back to the auto parts store to return the used oil. Should I put that in the trunk or my passager seat? lol Plus dropping off the old oil would make me feel a little weird. Kind of like not leaving a tip when you go out to dinner.

After that a local independent garage where you have a relationship with the mechanic. You do have that, now, don't you?
Not really. I always drove a Honda so I didn't have to worry about it much. But there are at least 4 that have done simple maintenance for me and will never touch my vehicle again.
  1. One stripped a couple lugs switching over my snowtires. And that was a tire shop!!!.
  2. One stripped my oil drain plug doing an oil change.
  3. One replaced my timing belt and the engine was making a whining noise when I got it back. Turns out they only replaced the belt and didn't use the whole kit so it cost almost double by the time I paid for labor again.
  4. One Honda dealer wouldn't admit anything was wrong with my car when I couldn't rev it past 5k. The mechanic explained that his suped up 454 didn't even rev to 5k and even the service manager couldn't understand that it should at least rev somewhere near the 7 or 8k redline! Took it to another dealer and they found that it was in limp mode because of some VTEC sensor.
So I think I'll pay $35 to drop my car off, use their new G sedan for the afternoon and pick up my car with fresh oil and a decent wash.

Last edited by joeposter; 04-25-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
LudwigB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeposter
Where should we go? All the quick-change places are much worse than the dealer.
You probably would not want jiffy lub, would you

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/11..._the_Lube_Shop

But seriously, dealer is a good choice since if they do something wrong, they'll take care of it.