Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Change!!! Royal Purple?...Or not to Royal Purple?....That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 03:21 PM
verybadthingz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soooooooooooooo....I'm gathering that the majority agree that Synthetic oil is better simply for longer oil change intervals. That’s good. I planned on changing my oil every 6500-7500 miles. I also notice that some have had good experiences with Royal purple, where others suggest other brands, (Mobile M1 0W-40, and a few others). Thanks for the input!!!!!!

2008 Infiniti G37S 6MT/ Chromed Stock 19s/ Premium Package/ Mods under the hood soon to come!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advantages & disadvantages of Synthetic Oil as per Wikipedia.

Advantages
The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:

• Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
  • Better chemical & shear stability
  • Decreased evaporative loss
  • Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
  • Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
  • Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.

Disadvantages
The disadvantages of synthetic motor oils include:

• Initial costs are usually four times greater than petroleum-based oils, though at one time, man-made oils cost ten times more than petroleum initial costs are often mitigated by extended change intervals, which individuals may confirm through used oil analysis (UOA).
  • The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in (i.e. the initial run-in period of the vehicle) where friction is desirable to cause wear. As many vehicles now use synthetic oils as factory fill, this is less of an issue than it once was.
  • Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (industrial use dominantly)
  • Potential stress cracking of plastic components like POM (polyoxymethylene) in the presence of PAOs (polyalphaolefins).
  • Potential on some older pushrod race engines with roller lifters for the roller itself not to spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller itself remains either stationary or at a lower circumferential speed than that of the camshaft lobe
  • In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular oil[4]. In their article, they noted that "Big-city cabs don't see many cold start-ups or long periods of high speed driving in extreme heat. But our test results relate to the most common type of severe service - stop-and-go city driving." According to their study, synthetic oil is "worth considering for extreme driving conditions: high ambient temperatures and high engine load, or very cold temperatures." [5] This research was criticized by some because most engine damage appears to be caused by cold starts, and their research method may not have included enough cold starts to be representative of personal vehicle use.[6]

Given that we have pretty modern motors & we all have at least our initial break in with conventional oil - and most of us 3750miles on conventional oil - Damn I think I am just gonna go synthetic on my first change then perhaps!

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 04-22-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 PM
verybadthingz

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Advantages & disadvantages of Synthetic Oil as per Wikipedia.

Advantages
The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:

• Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
  • Better chemical & shear stability
  • Decreased evaporative loss
  • Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
  • Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
  • Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.

Disadvantages
The disadvantages of synthetic motor oils include:

• Initial costs are usually four times greater than petroleum-based oils, though at one time, man-made oils cost ten times more than petroleum initial costs are often mitigated by extended change intervals, which individuals may confirm through used oil analysis (UOA).
  • The lower friction may make them unsuitable for break-in (i.e. the initial run-in period of the vehicle) where friction is desirable to cause wear. As many vehicles now use synthetic oils as factory fill, this is less of an issue than it once was.
  • Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (industrial use dominantly)
  • Potential stress cracking of plastic components like POM (polyoxymethylene) in the presence of PAOs (polyalphaolefins).
  • Potential on some older pushrod race engines with roller lifters for the roller itself not to spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide while the roller itself remains either stationary or at a lower circumferential speed than that of the camshaft lobe
  • In July 1996, Consumer Reports published the results of a two year motor oil test involving a fleet of 75 New York taxi cabs and found no noticeable advantage of synthetic oil over regular oil[4]. In their article, they noted that "Big-city cabs don't see many cold start-ups or long periods of high speed driving in extreme heat. But our test results relate to the most common type of severe service - stop-and-go city driving." According to their study, synthetic oil is "worth considering for extreme driving conditions: high ambient temperatures and high engine load, or very cold temperatures." [5] This research was criticized by some because most engine damage appears to be caused by cold starts, and their research method may not have included enough cold starts to be representative of personal vehicle use.[6]

Given that we have pretty modern motors & we all have at least our initial break in with conventional oil - and most of us 3750miles on conventional oil - Damn I think I am just gonna go synthetic on my first change then perhaps!
Yeah, this is perfect.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm getting ready to switch over to syn, i'm either going with mobil or amsoil. i get both at cost so which ever i have at the shop at the time i will use. I have a couple cases of the amsoil 5w-30 here now so i will probably use that
Old 04-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Greggski

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
i'm getting ready to switch over to syn, i'm either going with mobil or amsoil. i get both at cost so which ever i have at the shop at the time i will use. I have a couple cases of the amsoil 5w-30 here now so i will probably use that
I run AMSOIL in my motor, transmission, transfer case, front and rear diffs for my winter rig (4runner). As soon as I get more miles on my G, I will be doing the same (except the transfer and diff's of course )
Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Thumbs up Decided on Mobil 1 0W-40 + Mobil 1 Filter Oil Change @ 3750!!!

I just went to Vatozone and got 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula Oil. It's made to specs for high end MB's, BMWs, Audis, etc. and works just as well for performance motors in Japanese cars like ours. Also, I believe it has less iron content than the basic 5W-30as someone here noted.

I also got the Mobil M1-108 High Efficiency/Extended Life Oil filter.

Luckily for me I had a $10 off 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 + Filter coupon from my Chase Visa people (who are basically trying to beg me to use their card again since I've switched to AmEx)

The total was $45 pre-coupon and $35 with coupon! I plan on using my free-oil change voucher for free labor on the oil change. So all in all I will have hustled a synthetic oil change from Infiniti for $35, cheaper than their conventional change.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 AM
herrjr

Originally Posted by todd92
What is the fascination with Royal Purple? It does poorly when tested by analysis. The entire marketing strategy is shade tree mechanic TV and magazines, bolstered by preposterous testimonials and trolls who come on car forums and claim smoother, faster, better MPG from an oil change. What a bunch of suckers that buy based on that.

Stick with oils that meet the BMW LL spec. They have top high temperature, high sheer performance and last well during extended drain intervals. Some examples besides BMW 5W-30 synthetic are Mobil 1 0W-40, German Castrol 0W-30 (NOT Syntec 5W-30), Amsoil Euro 5W-40. There are others, you can check the specs on the bottle or the internet.

By the way, no Royal Purple grade meets the spec.
The reason why RP does not meet that spec, is because it is not fully (100%)synthetic. Do the research, and you'll know what I'm referring to.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yup heard the same thing... ^ im gonna run mobil one
Old 04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My Oil changes will be 51 OTD at infiniti... If I roll in with quarts of Syn. will they charge the same or what? any expereince with this?
I think I May have BlackJack tutor me on changing oil
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
My Oil changes will be 51 OTD at infiniti... If I roll in with quarts of Syn. will they charge the same or what? any expereince with this?
my dealership says they will charge me $26 just for the labor even if i bring in my oil & filter. what a rip...im gonna try the 2nd dealership the one i got my car from even though it's 30 mins. away - i like those guys better !!!

I hav heard of guys with dealerships charging just $15 for labor if oil/filter is provided....That's MUCH MORE FAIR....It's the price of those all inclusive ghetto oil changes...

edit: the other dealership is under the same ownership, also $26 for labor. sucks....

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 04-24-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
DetroitG37Joe

51 is steep for a conventional oil change...if u check the specials page for a dealership similar to the one below at my dealership
http://www.suburbaninfinitioftroy.co...cespecials.asp

you will see that they run coupons for 34.99 oil changes so u should find out!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mobile 1 or Motul.

So far, only Motul for my sedan.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
my dealership says they will charge me $26 just for the labor even if i bring in my oil & filter. what a rip...im gonna try the 2nd dealership the one i got my car from even though it's 30 mins. away - i like those guys better !!!
Well, what did you expect from the stealership? Why not do it yourself if you want to save some money?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

My dealer charges me like $75 for Motul oil change. Regular Infiniti Synthetic is like $45 or something.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
todd92

Why on earth do so many of you go to the dealership to get oil changes? There is no reason to EVER go back to a dealer except for warranty repairs. Dealer service departments are for the most part awful.

Quick Reply: Oil Change!!! Royal Purple?...Or not to Royal Purple?....That is the question.