Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb access port

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
randomdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are the Cobb intakes. They are in preproduction right now. Cobb is also coming out with an exhaust in the next month or so along with the ap.

The main concern with running intakes on any newer car is the MAF calibration. The stage maps are based off the fluid dynamics of the stock intake. The Cobb intakes designed to increase flow while maintaining these dynamics so that the Maf does not need to be recalibrated.

The problem with most intakes is that it alters the laminar flow of air going by the Maf and throwing off the readings. (Anything from a change in pipe diameter to use of a different filter will alter readings) When tuning a car it's probably the one thing that takes the longest to fine tune since every intake design is different. This is why Cobb doesn't guarantee or promote using other intakes. However, there are some companies out there that use the same concept that Cobb does when designing their intakes (e.g. ARC). Those are safe to use with the reflashes.

As some have stated above, protuner for the g37 will not be coming out at the same time as the stage maps on the ap. Nothing beats a custom tune because every car is different from the factory. Please keep in mind that the flashes are designed to be safe for all cars. Also, there is no way to put a flash from one set of tuning software to another. Most companies use proprietary file types to ensure this. If you get your ECU flashed by Technosquare, the only way to get the map onto an AP would be to datalog the car, interpolate the map parameters and input it into a new Cobb map file. (doable via either protuner/streettuner software from Cobb)
Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by randomdj
Those are the Cobb intakes. They are in preproduction right now. Cobb is also coming out with an exhaust in the next month or so along with the ap.

The main concern with running intakes on any newer car is the MAF calibration. The stage maps are based off the fluid dynamics of the stock intake. The Cobb intakes designed to increase flow while maintaining these dynamics so that the Maf does not need to be recalibrated.

The problem with most intakes is that it alters the laminar flow of air going by the Maf and throwing off the readings. (Anything from a change in pipe diameter to use of a different filter will alter readings) When tuning a car it's probably the one thing that takes the longest to fine tune since every intake design is different. This is why Cobb doesn't guarantee or promote using other intakes. However, there are some companies out there that use the same concept that Cobb does when designing their intakes (e.g. ARC). Those are safe to use with the reflashes.

As some have stated above, protuner for the g37 will not be coming out at the same time as the stage maps on the ap. Nothing beats a custom tune because every car is different from the factory. Please keep in mind that the flashes are designed to be safe for all cars. Also, there is no way to put a flash from one set of tuning software to another. Most companies use proprietary file types to ensure this. If you get your ECU flashed by Technosquare, the only way to get the map onto an AP would be to datalog the car, interpolate the map parameters and input it into a new Cobb map file. (doable via either protuner/streettuner software from Cobb)
Interesting info. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:08 AM
rossab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The blog entry about the intake was pretty interesting.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am going to WTF this right now:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3853

I wonder if anyone at Cobb knows how to market. Produce an AP for a car that will have 1000 out and how many of those will be tuned for extra power or produce an AP for a car that has should in the thousands and is owned by many performance car advocates and can be used in the newer 370Z. I don't understand this crap.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
I am going to WTF this right now:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3853

I wonder if anyone at Cobb knows how to market. Produce an AP for a car that will have 1000 out and how many of those will be tuned for extra power or produce an AP for a car that has should in the thousands and is owned by many performance car advocates and can be used in the newer 370Z. I don't understand this crap.
It's like that for every GT-R part.. they get all the goodies while we sit here with nothing. Best example:

http://www.gt-rr.com
Old 08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I don't understand that...limited in quantity and all these parts plus it is already a performance king out of the box. I don't understand this.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
very irritating...
Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
gmlee86
Registered Member

I don't understand that...limited in quantity and all these parts plus it is already a performance king out of the box. I don't understand this.
Well, they probably figure that the GT-R guys have the money to blow and will buy a $6,000 exhaust system and other expensive parts to go along with it more often than a G37 owner will.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:16 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gmlee86
Well, they probably figure that the GT-R guys have the money to blow and will buy a $6,000 exhaust system and other expensive parts to go along with it more often than a G37 owner will.
Maybe, it is still a numbers game though. They should think how many of these GTR owners are going to upgrade a part on this car. I think I heard there is suppose to be 500 to 1500 available in the US. They might get 1/8 of those people to upgrade. They probably have sold close to 5000 G37s and I would bet that there are more G37 people that are willing to upgrade their car compared to a GTR owner.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:20 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
couldnt have said that any better... ^
Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 AM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Maybe, it is still a numbers game though. They should think how many of these GTR owners are going to upgrade a part on this car. I think I heard there is suppose to be 500 to 1500 available in the US. They might get 1/8 of those people to upgrade. They probably have sold close to 5000 G37s and I would bet that there are more G37 people that are willing to upgrade their car compared to a GTR owner.
Only the marketers know and will find out the hard way if they made the right decision or not
Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Hawaiian72099

Just left a message on their Forum about asking the update on the G37 AP. I'm sure I will be banned from their site seeing as my first post on the forum was a complaint on why the GTR AP came out before ours. Not sure why they would work hard to get something out for the GTR so quickly when there have been alot of G37 guys who are willing to get an AP for our car as soon as it is released? Maybe they are allergic to money or something lol.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:46 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

^^Money kills people every day so I guess it is a good idea to stay away from it. <- Towards Cobb!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Hawaiian72099

^^Money kills people every day so I guess it is a good idea to stay away from it. <- Towards Cobb!
If they want to stay away from the money they already have I'll take it off there hands if they want lol. But yea hopefully our AP comes out soon, I think most of you guys who said we shouldn't expect it to be released on time are right unfortunately.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:53 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

They said September so I am holding them to that. I will be calling them and asking them WTF!!!

Quick Reply: Cobb access port