Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb access port

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
rossab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my bad... Haven't bought anything from cobb since I owned an STi a couple years ago, which was before they released v.2 with all the newfangled features. That's cool though, raise your hand if you think they'll have it out in september.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by willizm
BBoy, lets pretend for a minute that most of the G37 owners across the country don't live in California, such as myself. What is the best option then. A cob which may or may not have custom mapping available for some time or a technosquare reflash where you send the ecu across country and have a generic flash that yields mild performance increase.

If I lived within 150 miles of technosqure then I would bring it into the shop after my mods are on and have them fine tune the SOB. But, alas, I don't. I'm out of Chicago and no one else has the ability to reflash the ECU yet.
The AP would be the best chose if they release the custom map software. If you don't have an aftermarket intake then the AP might be a good deal because the maps that will be released are designed around the stock intake. Personnally I am a little concerned putting a map on my system that is designed for an intake that decreases the AF compared to my JWT. As they warn you on the Cobb site, this could damage your car. Getting a Technosquare reflash and putting it on the AP might be the best chose if you are not able to get a custom map since Technosquare has done a ton more ECU reflashes on the G37 then Cobb so the maps they have probably would be more friendly for your setup. If Cobb ever releases the custom map software so Cobb certified shops across the country can create custom maps, they will be the best chose.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
rossab

It was so easy when I had my mr-s. for $800 you could get a full replacement ECU from Apexi that would handle any application you could ever put together.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rossab
It was so easy when I had my mr-s. for $800 you could get a full replacement ECU from Apexi that would handle any application you could ever put together.
Yeah, an Apexi Power FC, right? I had that for my turbocharged Celica.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by bboysteele
The AP would be the best chose if they release the custom map software. If you don't have an aftermarket intake then the AP might be a good deal because the maps that will be released are designed around the stock intake. Personnally I am a little concerned putting a map on my system that is designed for an intake that decreases the AF compared to my JWT. As they warn you on the Cobb site, this could damage your car. Getting a Technosquare reflash and putting it on the AP might be the best chose if you are not able to get a custom map since Technosquare has done a ton more ECU reflashes on the G37 then Cobb so the maps they have probably would be more friendly for your setup. If Cobb ever releases the custom map software so Cobb certified shops across the country can create custom maps, they will be the best chose.
Kinda what I was thinking. I'm in no hurry, but will gladly sit on the sidelines and watch this unfold. That is unless someone can do a custom flash(same mods) and Tedeshi can load it on my ecu. Then I may be willing to send the ecu cross country.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM
rossab

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Yeah, an Apexi Power FC, right? I had that for my turbocharged Celica.
yeah, the PFC, was awesome as far as value, but obviously the ECU on our cars is incredibly more complicated. IMHO the best thing to do right now is wait. There isn't really a product on the market that is worth the $ for most of us. That's cool if you have all the parts on the car you want and you are close enough to tadashi to get a final tune, but I don't think that's most of us.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

There might be hope. Response from Joe at Cobb:

Yes when we do our initial release there will be a lot of you who will not see the power gains that you could with a custom tune.

Our tuner work very hard to keep our customers happy. If you are not satisfied with the tune on the AccessPORT all you need to do is get a hold of a DashHawk or some other sort of data logger and data log your car. Then working with one of our tuners they will be able to modify the map on your car to make a custom tune. It's the best way we can custom tune with out having to bring your vehicle to your shop.

Our tuners are more then happy to custom tune a map for you, all you need to do is provide them with data logs.

Joe
Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

This looks VERY interesting:

http://www.dashhawk.com/features.html

I got to check the G37 OBDII connector for this connection since no Infiniti or Nissan is on the application list:

http://www.dashhawk.com/faq.html

For $299 this could be very helpful especially for those that are complaining about losing power (getting a rev limiter) when they tracking their car.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
good news bboy. I was getting the magden computer anyways for our shop because I was impressed with all the features including data logging. I was able to datalog several G37's at our BBQ, data includes AFR, timing, air intake temp, speed and rpm. Plugs in directly into the obd2 and it picked up 14 readouts. I'm gonna have to call Cobb tomorrow
Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboysteele
There might be hope. Response from Joe at Cobb:

Yes when we do our initial release there will be a lot of you who will not see the power gains that you could with a custom tune.

Our tuner work very hard to keep our customers happy. If you are not satisfied with the tune on the AccessPORT all you need to do is get a hold of a DashHawk or some other sort of data logger and data log your car. Then working with one of our tuners they will be able to modify the map on your car to make a custom tune. It's the best way we can custom tune with out having to bring your vehicle to your shop.

Our tuners are more then happy to custom tune a map for you, all you need to do is provide them with data logs.

Joe
That's good news. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
sredish

that little bit of info about customizing the tunes for the customer based off data logs is a nice add to what I thought was going to be a couple canned tunes and that's it. now, if we can just get a release date.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GJ and GL Cobb
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM
rossab

agreed... Will definately wait for the AP to start my build. I was looking through the blog and it looks like they have a couple of products they were working on along with the AP (exhaust, intake). I wonder if this stuff will be released at the same time. The intake looked decent even though it didn't report any power gains. It looked like it was an improvement over what looked like the stillen? and fujita? that they tested.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ampdG37
good news bboy. I was getting the magden computer anyways for our shop because I was impressed with all the features including data logging. I was able to datalog several G37's at our BBQ, data includes AFR, timing, air intake temp, speed and rpm. Plugs in directly into the obd2 and it picked up 14 readouts. I'm gonna have to call Cobb tomorrow
Really? Good stuff. I think I might need to pick this up. I saw all the temp readouts and stuff on the site (I still need to read it completely) which could come in handy when tracking the car if you have problems. Plus it reads and clears SES codes.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
mitssn

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37

Who makes these intakes??

Quick Reply: Cobb access port