Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb access port

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you guys think the AP is going to be(Pall Park Figure)?

Never Mind. I'm dumb.

probably around $700 as that is what the G35 one is at.

Last edited by willizm; 08-15-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 PM

$695 seems to be the magic number with all Cobb AP's.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Max, I saw your post. This is going to be a major FAIL for Cobb without the software to create custom maps. They say the maps that will be coming out will only be for their parts which would be bad but the last I saw they haven't made or released any G37 parts. I guess I could just drive the 8 hours to their shop and get a custom tune if they do that sort of thing.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboysteele
They say the maps that will be coming out will only be for their parts which would be bad but the last I saw they haven't made or released any G37 parts.
Yeah, I'm wondering when they're gonna have more parts for us, too.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BiscuitWeasel
My problem with the AccessPort is that because of the preset maps, you really are limited as to what you can do to the motor. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what I get from reading the map notes.

I guess, if you flip my logic around, it's a good way to make more power on a stock motor

Here's an example:

"For use with a stock or very mildly modified normally aspirated 2003-2005 USDM Infiniti G35 only. Additional modifications such an drop-in replacement filter, underdrive pulley, high-flow catalytic converters, and cat-back exhaust system are still within the acceptable parameters of this calibration. YOU MUST USE THE FACTORY INTAKE SYSTEM ONLY. NO OTHER AFTERMARKET INTAKES ARE CERTIFIED COMPATIBLE WITH THIS CALIBRATION. THE INSTALLATION OF ANY OTHER HARDWARE SUCH AS STRAIGHT PIPES, HEADERS, OR PLENUM SPACERS MAY ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO RUN LEANER THAN DESIRED, WHICH CAN CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE. Running ANY aftermarket intake system has the ability to compromise the performance of our calibration and possibly compromise the engine."
Yep, and that is why the custom map software is so important. Then you could go to a certified Cobb shop and get a custom map made for your car and parts. This would be like going to Technosquare and getting a custom reflash. The big difference is that you could go back to stock very easily for dealer visits and you could create multiply custom maps for different situations such as a gas mileage map to get the best gas mileage and a valet map which drops the power/quickness/RPMs when you valet your car. There are tons of things you could do with this but IMO it is worthless without a custom tune. Hopefully I get a response from them on if they do custom tunes for people that drive to their shop. If they do then I will be interested in this and it might be advantages for those who have the JWT, HFCs that are on this site. (exhaust is still up in the air).
Old 08-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, and that is why the custom map software is so important. Then you could go to a certified Cobb shop and get a custom map made for your car and parts. This would be like going to Technosquare and getting a custom reflash. The big difference is that you could go back to stock very easily for dealer visits and you could create multiply custom maps for different situations such as a gas mileage map to get the best gas mileage and a valet map which drops the power/quickness/RPMs when you valet your car. There are tons of things you could do with this but IMO it is worthless without a custom tune. Hopefully I get a response from them on if they do custom tunes for people that drive to their shop. If they do then I will be interested in this and it might be advantages for those who have the JWT, HFCs that are on this site. (exhaust is still up in the air).

Another reason why they would note such ^^^ is because of liability issues. They don't want any of the maps provided to cause engine failure . If TECHNOSQUARE can load the map on the Access port, Problem solved. Im gonna have to call tadashi monday so i can confirm if this is possible. If so, you can just send him the AP instead your whole ECU. Its pretty simple to load the maps with the AP.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:47 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Interesting. Didn't think about that.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by ampdG37
If TECHNOSQUARE can load the map on the Access port, Problem solved. Im gonna have to call tadashi monday so i can confirm if this is possible. If so, you can just send him the AP instead your whole ECU. Its pretty simple to load the maps with the AP.
Interesting idea. Let us know what Tadashi says about that.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 AM
rossab

I don't think there is anything on the market that will do what the AP will do (when it's finished) for close to the same price. A reflash is OK, but not nearly as friendly as the AP. Their aren't any decent standalones or piggybacks. The reflashes that are available still seem a bit primitive. The g37 is a new entry into the aftermarket world without a lot of priority. To get quality parts you almost just have to grab your ankles and wait.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rossab
I don't think there is anything on the market that will do what the AP will do (when it's finished) for close to the same price. A reflash is OK, but not nearly as friendly as the AP. Their aren't any decent standalones or piggybacks. The reflashes that are available still seem a bit primitive. The g37 is a new entry into the aftermarket world without a lot of priority. To get quality parts you almost just have to grab your ankles and wait.
I don't think that anyone here doubts that the AP is good product. The problem is that they won't have the ability to create custom maps and they are not going to create maps for aftermarket intake systems. This being the case, a reflash by Technosquare will kill the AP when it comes to performance and reliability. Cobb needs to get on the ball and release the custom mapping software soon after the AP comes out and not a couple years down the road like they told me. If they do a custom map for people that go to their shop then this will have some interest for me. I don't mind driving 8hrs each way to get some maps that will work with my car and give me the best performance instead of downloading a map they made which can damage my car due to one of my components not being something they recommend such as my JWT intake.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 PM
willizm

I don't think that anyone here doubts that the AP is good product. The problem is that they won't have the ability to create custom maps and they are not going to create maps for aftermarket intake systems. This being the case, a reflash by Technosquare will kill the AP when it comes to performance and reliability. Cobb needs to get on the ball and release the custom mapping software soon after the AP comes out and not a couple years down the road like they told me. If they do a custom map for people that go to their shop then this will have some interest for me. I don't mind driving 8hrs each way to get some maps that will work with my car and give me the best performance instead of downloading a map they made which can damage my car due to one of my components not being something they recommend such as my JWT intake.
BBoy, lets pretend for a minute that most of the G37 owners across the country don't live in California, such as myself. What is the best option then. A cob which may or may not have custom mapping available for some time or a technosquare reflash where you send the ecu across country and have a generic flash that yields mild performance increase.

If I lived within 150 miles of technosqure then I would bring it into the shop after my mods are on and have them fine tune the SOB. But, alas, I don't. I'm out of Chicago and no one else has the ability to reflash the ECU yet.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
oct2274

When the AP first comes out it will still be better then a generic technosquare flash, if you are not able to get the custom flash from technosquare. You will have the ability to go back to stock at any time. You'll be able to take advantage of the other features that the AP offers that you can never get from technosquare. If you want the best of both worlds right away, go get a custom flash from technosquare, then go to cobb and have them pull the map off for use in the AP! Generic flashes are generic flashes, doesn't matter if you send your ecu to techosquare or get the generic flash from cobb. Neither one will give you perfect gains cause neither one is for you car. Even if the flash is for the same exact after market parts, tunes can vary greatly from one car to the next. I think both companies are great. Since I'm working in Cali I might just go get a custom tune at technosquare, but man I sure would love the AP when the custom tuning capabilities come out. I personally don't think I would ever do a generic flash, but believe that both companies will have good generic flashes for those of you that can't get the custom flashes.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Buddy Revell

Although obviously not as good as a custom tune, off-the-shelf "generic" reflashes are not being given as much credit as they should be. A.H from My350Z tested this out at Technosquare by dynoing his car after an off-the-shelf reflash and then again after getting custom tuning: http://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/37957...ml#post6179612 . The standard reflash accounted for most of the power gains. Naturally, those people who go to Technosquare and Cobb personally for custom tuning are getting the best possible option. However, those who don't live close to either of these shops will still see quality gains with the off-the-shelf maps.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM
rossab

I really doubt that cobb will release the ap without the ability to do custom flashes, which is why I don't believe it will be released any time soon. As far as I have noticed cobb has never released an AP and said the custom flashes will be available later. Honestly, however, I would still buy it with out the ability to custom flash just because there aren't really any better options for people in my part of the country right now. Plus, atleast with the cobb, you know that eventually you are going to have access to custom maps, so I wouldn't feel like I was throwing my money away. On the flip side, if I went and got a custom tune after a few bolt ons, and then decided to go turbo later, all the money I spent on my flash would be pooped away.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:47 PM
oct2274

i believe the mazdaspeed 3, g35, and 350z AP's all released without the ability to do custom tunes. I fully expect it to be the same way for the g37

Quick Reply: Cobb access port