Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cobb access port

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by rawr
so i emailed cobb and this is what i got

Thank you for the email. We are presently on schedule for a first week of September release date. We will be updating our website shortly with this information. We'll also be posting official dyno results on or just before the release date. We've been able to get surprisingly good gains from the HR motors, and in particular the 3.7L G37. I hope fellow G37 owners will be pleased. I personally drive our G37 at every opportunity I get and absolutely love the improvements in what I thought was already a fantastic driving car.

Thanks,
Trey Cobb.
Well that's the first I've seen of them setting a hard release date. I'm anxiously awaiting but not holding my breath. If they meet that date or even if it's several weeks or a month later, it'll be much better than I expected.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 PM
rawr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i want one bad though haha I NEED MORE POWER
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
peterbanks

Originally Posted by rawr
so i emailed cobb and this is what i got

Thank you for the email. We are presently on schedule for a first week of September release date. We will be updating our website shortly with this information. We'll also be posting official dyno results on or just before the release date. We've been able to get surprisingly good gains from the HR motors, and in particular the 3.7L G37. I hope fellow G37 owners will be pleased. I personally drive our G37 at every opportunity I get and absolutely love the improvements in what I thought was already a fantastic driving car.

Thanks,
Trey Cobb.
Excellent.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
rawr

that is exactly what i said to myself...however, how many other times have we heard the same thing...and still nothing : /
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cobb set a release date for the Speed 3 and it wasn't released for another year after that.... don't hold your breath lol.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 AM
rawr

yeah i know haha that is what i hear
Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
even if they get it out, custom maps won't be out for another year probably. Forget that
Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't Cobb Tuning located in Salt Lake City? Can't guys who are in the area go over there and get custom tuning/maps like us So Cal folks who are close to Technosquare?

Last edited by Buddy Revell; 08-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM
sredish

not holding breath but secretly praying....
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
rossab

I'd buy it even without the ability to load custom maps. I'm sure cobb will have maps for basic configurations out on their website within a reasonable time. If they are already talking about being pleased with the gains on their shop car they obviously have enough of the code work ready to do basic tunes in house.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AZg37
even if they get it out, custom maps won't be out for another year probably. Forget that
Probably a couple years for the custom tunes.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM
rossab

I seriously doubt that the accessport will be released in september. I'd be really suprised if they released it without tunes for basic upgrades ie: intake and exhaust. Custom tunes are not a big deal though for a huge part of the prospective clientele. Most users only have bolt ons anyway.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rossab
I seriously doubt that the accessport will be released in september. I'd be really suprised if they released it without tunes for basic upgrades ie: intake and exhaust. Custom tunes are not a big deal though for a huge part of the prospective clientele. Most users only have bolt ons anyway.
How do you figure custom tunes would not be an interest to modders? Not all bolt ons work the same or perform the same. A map for a FI exhaust and a map for a Borla exhaust will probably be a little different to get the most out of the mod. Custom maps are needed to get the most out of the bolt on mods that are put on the car. IMO, custom maps are the only way to go to get performance out of bolt ons. The maps that Cobb will release will be ok but nothing great and I doubt they will match what you can get with a technosquare reflash.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:31 PM
rossab

Originally Posted by bboysteele
How do you figure custom tunes would not be an interest to modders? Not all bolt ons work the same or perform the same. A map for a FI exhaust and a map for a Borla exhaust will probably be a little different to get the most out of the mod. Custom maps are needed to get the most out of the bolt on mods that are put on the car. IMO, custom maps are the only way to go to get performance out of bolt ons. The maps that Cobb will release will be ok but nothing great and I doubt they will match what you can get with a technosquare reflash.
There is definately and interest for custom maps, but I don't think cobb needs to wait for this to be available before releasing the AP. When I was in the STi scene alot of people just bought the ap to compliment there intake and exhaust. Not everyone has access to or wants to spend the money for custom tunes. Sure, you'll get the most out of the mods you have with a custom tune, but are you going to go shell out $200-$600 bucks everytime you get a new bolt on?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

^^True but I would imagine most people that do custom tunes would have all their mods on first. The AP is good thing but I just don't think it will make a huge difference until custom maps can be created.

Quick Reply: Cobb access port