Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Darting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
jab23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As others have stated, it is a product of the tires and the suspension setup. If there is any bit of negative camber built into the stock suspension setup, which there probably is, then you will notice this. The tires are a big factor as well. I actually have only noticed this a bit in the G37, but my BMW 330Ci with the performance package had a half a degree of negative camber and Bridgestone RE040 tires. It was unreal wrestling to keep the car straight when coming to a stop or driving on uneven roads. It just followed every groove in the pavement. With that said, it was also the best handling car I have ever driven. The G37 has been a much nicer highway cruiser. Like I said, I only notice it a little in the G and it's probably because of the car I came from.

The feeling goes away with snow tires because the tires are so soft and "mushy" that they contour to the road imperfecions much easier than the really hard summer tires.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm I really have not had anything like this and my tires are about as low and wide as you can fit on this car. But yes the G37 does come with some neg camber so that is probably why. Makes perfect sense. Maybe I just dont pay attention enough to relize it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed this the first day I drove my car to work. I thought my car was out of alignment because it was pulling to one side but when I drove home it was pulling to the other side. It only happens at high speeds and if the road is not the best it shows up more.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 AM
mal_TX

My G37 does this more than my G35 did. I attribute it to different suspension set up. I think the car has less toe-in.

Get an alignment and ask them to dial in some toe-in and the car should track straighter -- at the expense of eating tires like the G35 coupes did.

If you have a PC or PS3 game that lets you play with toe, try it out, it is easy to see what I'm talking about. race cars often run with neutral to toe-out to help with turn-in to the corners.

"In a rear wheel drive car, increased front toe in (i.e. the fronts of the front wheels are closer together than the backs of the front wheels) provides greater straight-line stability at the cost of some sluggishness of turning response, as well as a little more tire wear as they are now driving a bit sideways. On front wheel drive cars, the situation is more complex."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_%28automotive%29
Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by gamedog
10 and 2 is the only way I drive with my hands on the wheel at high speeds... Actually 9 and 3 so that I can change the stations and stuff... Keeps me in control and going in the direction I want to...
thats always been a surefire style of driving....

pisses me off to see all those gangster wannabes driving around with on fist up at 12 o'clock and the other up their a.s.s.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe

pisses me off to see all those gangster wannabes driving around with on fist up at 12 o'clock and the other up their a.s.s.
LMAO!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe

lmao, so true. i only drive at 8 o'clock the other hand, is...........do not act like you guys do not know.

on the shifter..
Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM
espperre

Whew .... glad to find out that "Darting" doesn't even have the most remote association with what first came to mind when I initially glanced at this thread.

Sharting