Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is this banging sound from the transmission normal (VIDEO INCLUDED!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
SnD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this banging sound from the transmission normal (VIDEO INCLUDED!)

First, the noise ( it first occurs at about 2.5 seconds in, other shots are just other drive-by's):

http://www.dyscrepency.com/videos/G3...ow_Quality.wmv

This noise occurs mainly when there's a load on the engine, and the clutch is disengadged. It also can happen when re-engading the clutch, and I've heard it 1 or 2 times just moving the shifter into a gear with the clutch completely disengadged.

The noise is also accompanied by rougher shifting, and it's more difficult to get into gear ( feels like I'm crunching it into gear, whereas there's no crunching noise, but there's a crunching feel ).

My biggest question is: Is this normal?

I currently refuse to believe it is, and my car is currently at the dealer ( for the 4th time ), and they're once again telling me it's absolutely normal.

On Friday when I took my car in, I drove their service manager around. First he claimed it was my shift timing, which is dis-proved by completely shifting into 1st ( with the noise occurring when I did it for him), then coasting for a bit, and dis-engadging the clutch ( Banggwgwgwgww!!!!!! ). Then he claimed it was from a load on the engine, which I dis-proved by shifting from gently shifting from 1st-2nd, with no gas applied ( noise again! ). Then he said they'd look at it, which resulted in them doing nothing, which is where I'm at now.

I've called corporate, but they're siding with the dealer because 'the dealer is our eyes and ears'.

I don't know what to do, this can't possibly be normal. Or if it is, I feel like my car is on the far end of that 'normal' spectrum. I've test-driven other new ones with 2 miles on them, and there was no noise, only a better feel from the engine and transmission in general.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns, do you have the noise too?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anything that makes noise that was not there before you brought the car is not normal..i stil need to bring in my car to get it checked for a noise coming from my clutch too..
Old 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you go to another dealer?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
SnD

Well I have it in the dealer right now with Infiniti's consumer affairs people talking to them about getting some more diagnosis on the sound. I don't think it'll amount to anything and I'll be forced to take it to another dealer to see if they'll do anything about it.

In the event that I'm screwed and noone helps me, I may use the factory service manual ( same thing the techs use ) and work with a few buddies of mine to disassemble the transmission ourselves and see if we can find a problem. YES, I know that's crazy-talk, but I will not stand to have the noise occurring in my own car.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

don't sound normal at all.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

let the tranny fail then show them that you went to the dealer 4 times. replace it biaatches
Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 PM
SnD

But according to the dealer, EVERY G37 sounds like that!

I wish I could lemon it, but I have a feeling that's not easy to do here in Georgia.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
mal_TX

Mine sounds like that and so did my G35 coupe 6mt. Totally normal.

They both sounded like that on day-one as well. Get up to 10mph in 1st, let off the gas but still in gear to coast down, then press the clutch and it will make that noise every single time. Try it again but press the clutch very slowly and it will not make that noise (mine don't). The sudden disconnect under transmission load of decelerating (coasting) in gear makes that noise somehow.

I think it is normal. Take a new G37 6mt for a test drive...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
SnD

I took several for test-drive's, none of them did it. Mine does it all the time and it's quite loud. I embarrassed to drive slowly near my neighbors because of the noise it makes.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
NemesisG37

lemon it and get a new car.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
GregUMR

Man I've got an AB g37 6MT and it does that same exact thing. I took it into the dealer and got the usual bs oh its normal. I completely agree. NO car should make that loud chatter like that. Think of this from an engineering stand point:

1) The car makes a very loud metal on metal chatter sound only in certain conditions between 1st/2nd gear. This does not occur at higher speeds or gears.

2) Other production manual transmission cars do not do this

Anytime you have a transmission making a loud CHATTER sound of metal on metal, you can conclude one thing. Loud sound = wear and tear and heat.

I have driven numerous manual transmission cars throughout my life, none of them from a lowly dodge neon, to a chevy truck, to a mitsuibishi eclipse (old and new), to a viper, to a vette.... NONE made this sound. A good working transmission is designed to fit into gear properly. If it doesn't do that, its not a properly working transmission. This sound is completely abnormal and will cause our transmissions to have serious problems down the road.

Its not like the sound is some lovey dovey pieces of metal designed to be loud and annoying but not ever wear down. And then when you add the the equation the fact you can make the sound not occur by inducing other variables into the equation like, not loading the engine, or giving the engine some equalized gas while going from 1st to 2nd, etc etc, says that whatever it is, it can be taken care of.

I just don't know if we'll ever see it fixed. That is what I'm worried about. I mean, it would take infiniti going through, diagnosing the problem, creating new parts, and fittin them properly into the transmission. All of this would cost them a fair amount of money, and I'm not so sure its going to happen. Either way, I'd like for any one of these dealers who say it is normal to show me another car that, stock from the factory, makes these same noises. I have yet to hear of one or drive one myself that does this, be it a g37, g35, or any other number of cars I mentioned.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
shmad

how many miles have u had ur car/how long have u had ur car? mine did it for the first couple hundred miles, but hasnt done it in about 50 miles or so (which is 1.5 weeks for me).
Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Mine does not sound like that. I don't expect a new car to have that kind tranny sound. On a brand new car it should not be hard to shift into 2nd from 1st. As the car gets older, yes it does become harder to shift into the gates and may make similar noise from input shaft ware.

Definitely not normal. Can you hear with windows up? Can you feel it in your shifter?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
GregUMR

Yes, Yes and Yes. I can hear it with the windows up or down, I can feel it through the shifter, in the car, and I have had it occur in all the same situations as the OP mentioned. It's not normal at all.

On one hand I'm afraid that if I do get the tranny replaced I'll end up in the never ending cycle of screwups that happens when you have a dealer replace something but they don't quite get it right, so you have problem after problem after problem.

Question: I have the extended warranty that covers 5 years, 50 or 60,000 miles ( I believe. ). Will this type of replacement on engine/tranny items be covered even at 4.9 years or 59,000 miles? ( albeit I realize the dealers try to **** you out of fixing stuff at the end of warranty ).

Oh I forgot, I've had the car since December 23, 2007. I recall it happening around 100 miles in, and I've noticed it ever since. Even when the car is warm. It seems when the sound is made it also takes more movement and more force to put the car into 2nd gear.

I think I'm going to make a POLL for all 6MT g37 owners and see just how many people truely notice this. I realize some people may have it happening and just not notice it, unfortunately. It's like with any technical thing, some people are just not aware/acute/understanding, but I think the poll would be telling, has it been done yet?

Last edited by GregUMR; 03-25-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember seeing a thread about this chatter some time ago (try a search). I don't think it is "normal" but it is definitely common. My friend and I both have the clutch chatter when disengaging the clutch abruptly at slow speed. I'm not really sure if that is what the OP was trying to point out. If it is, I've also been told by dealer that is it "normal" and there's nothing they can do. But even though every G might be built the same way to have the chatter, it is not normal, just potentially common.

I've gotten around the chatter by disengaging the clutch slowly when I'm almost coming to a completely stop. Don't stomp on it to the floor. It seems to work for me, haven't really noticed the chatter since I started doing that.

If you can't find the thread, I remember someone said that it could be caused by the lighter material that was used for weight reduction.

Quick Reply: Is this banging sound from the transmission normal (VIDEO INCLUDED!)