Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is this banging sound from the transmission normal (VIDEO INCLUDED!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yea mine does that while cruising and pushing the clutch in to go to neutral. Have to be going pretty slow and off the accelerator..
Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
yea mine does that while cruising and pushing the clutch in to go to neutral. Have to be going pretty slow and off the accelerator..
yep, thats what i am talking about
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
yep, thats what i am talking about
But wait, so you're saying that should happen when going from 1st to neutral at slow speeds. But when he switches from 1st to 2nd it shouldn't? When switching from 1st to 2nd you're going into neutral and then into 2nd, right? I'm confused. Technically when going from 1-2 I would think its considered neutral when in-between the gears and the clutch is depressed. I guess I can see how they are different since the clutch is not engaged in one situation and is in the other situation.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM
SnD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, ok, yes. It happens for me going gear to gear. The clutch typically is being moved when it happens, but I can have it happen with the clutch not moving at all ( totally let out and I just push the shifter from 1st-2nd ).
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
mal_TX

Direct link means the shifter is directly connected to the transmission. The opposite of direct link is cable-connected (like most FWD cars and some inexpensive RWD cars).

My car only makes this noise if the drivetrain is being negatively loaded -- that is, the car is dragging the engine along through the transmission -- and I push the clutch pedal down abruptly (instead of slowly/smoothly). So, coasting in a low gear (1st or 2nd) around 2-4k rpm and then suddenly clutching is what sounds EXACTLY like your video in my car.

During a normal loaded-to-unloaded transition (properly timed shift from 1st to 2nd while accelerating), I do not hear this sound, ever.

Are you sure you are hearing this outside of the conditions above? Try what I'm talking about above -- accelerate in 1st to about 20mph, then off the gas completely, let it slow to about 15mph and then stomp the clutch pedal. Then try it with a very slow and smooth clutch pedal press. Also, try accelerating to 15mph in 1st gear and then slowly press the clutch while slowly feathering out the gas pedal.

Again -- My car will only make these sounds when the drivetrain is loaded and I abruptly release it via a clutch pedal stomp.

Last edited by mal_TX; 03-26-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by SnD
Ahh, ok, yes. It happens for me going gear to gear. The clutch typically is being moved when it happens, but I can have it happen with the clutch not moving at all ( totally let out and I just push the shifter from 1st-2nd ).
How are you going from 1st to 2nd without pressing the clutch pedal? I realize it is possible but I am assuming that I misunderstand you because I doubt you are doing a clutchless 1-2 shift?

If you mean to say that you have the clutch fully pressed (totally disengaged) and you are moving the shifter from 1st to 2nd and you hear a noise -- what are the rpms at when you are entering 2nd gear with the shifter? Are they close to what they should be for the speed the car is traveling? If not you will hear/feel the 2nd gear synchronizers doing their job.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 PM
SnD

I'm clutching, I'm not that good!

The rpm's are correct, it'll make the noise regardless what rpm's I'm at. As for going easy on the clutch when letting it out, that does make a difference at times, but I can be as light as possible on the clutch and it'll still do it.

I also have the noise while letting the clutch in, which is one of my chief concerns on why it's happening.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
At first when I listend to the noise on the video I too thought there was something wrong. There isn't. My car and every other 6MT G37 out there makes the same noise, at least I think so. It may be more noticeable to some people than others. I guess I've just gotten accustomed to it over 12K miles and no longer notice it. When I recreate what the OP is doing and listen with the windows down it sounds brutal. It is just the normal clutch engagement/disengagement when shifting (particularly from 1st to 2nd) at low RPM. Try this; accelerate to about 4500+ RPm in 1st gear and then shift. It's hardly noticeable if at all. It's normal and nothing is wrong with your car. You can take it in a thousand times and there will be nothing they can do to fix it except give you 5AT. For those with 6MTs who say it's not normal and their cars don't make the sound under the exact same conditions, please post up a video of you shifting 1-2 a low speed/RPM like the OP. I'd like to hear a 6MT car NOT doing it. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I bought my car with 8 miles on it and now have 12K. It doesn't sound any different from the sound that I hear if I creep along and shift into 2nd at low speed. I hear it. I feel it. I don't personally think it's abnormal. I don't have the problem because I generally am over 5K wheen I shift.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM
GregUMR

lol you're over 5k generally when you shift? You hot rodding it every time or just slowly creepin up the rpm's? If you were flooring it in 1st up to 5k rpm's, I feel sorry for the 11mpg you are probably getting. I barely pull 13.5 and I drive aggressive quite a bit.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by GregUMR
lol you're over 5k generally when you shift? You hot rodding it every time or just slowly creepin up the rpm's? If you were flooring it in 1st up to 5k rpm's, I feel sorry for the 11mpg you are probably getting. I barely pull 13.5 and I drive aggressive quite a bit.
I'm averaging 20.4 daily driving, better on the highway. I'm not necessarily accelerating quickly, just running the gear all the way out before shifting. Sometimes I have been known to do jackrabbit starts, but not usually as 93 octane around here is about $3.33/gallon. But shifting at higher RPM does seem to eliminate the clutch noise.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:57 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'm averaging 20.4 daily driving, better on the highway. I'm not necessarily accelerating quickly, just running the gear all the way out before shifting. Sometimes I have been known to do jackrabbit starts, but not usually as 93 octane around here is about $3.33/gallon. But shifting at higher RPM does seem to eliminate the clutch noise.

Running the gears all the way out and still getting 20mpg?! I gotta try that.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
GregUMR

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Running the gears all the way out and still getting 20mpg?! I gotta try that.
Hmmmmmmmm
Old 03-28-2008, 04:09 PM
DetroitG37Joe

mine does not do that...however the normal (at least i think) chatter that mal TX mentioned I do have...coast in 1st gear at about 10 mph and push the clutch down and u hear a lil friction/clunking....but if u take the load off slow with the clutch it's quiet.....

so are u getting this chatter on every takeoff??
Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 PM
mal_TX

Not B.S.

Revving up high quite gently uses neglibibly more fuel than shifting early. Watch your fuel consumption display. Makes total sense, lots of throttle == lots of air going in == lots of fuel going in. Light throttle == little air going in == little fuel. The engine turning fast doesn't necessarily burn a ****-ton of fuel... think about coasting down in 2nd gear from 50mph with your foot totally off the gas... high revs but very low fuel consumption -- the car is pulling the engine along.

How much fuel you burn has almost everything to do with how hard your engine is pushing the car forwards. On flat land that's going to translate to how fast you are accelerating moreso than how many RPMs you are turning.

Extreme ranges such as > 6k rpm excluded due to ECU A/F-riching at high revs...
Old 03-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by mal_TX
Not B.S.

Revving up high quite gently uses neglibibly more fuel than shifting early. Watch your fuel consumption display. Makes total sense, lots of throttle == lots of air going in == lots of fuel going in. Light throttle == little air going in == little fuel. The engine turning fast doesn't necessarily burn a ****-ton of fuel... think about coasting down in 2nd gear from 50mph with your foot totally off the gas... high revs but very low fuel consumption -- the car is pulling the engine along.

How much fuel you burn has almost everything to do with how hard your engine is pushing the car forwards. On flat land that's going to translate to how fast you are accelerating moreso than how many RPMs you are turning.

Extreme ranges such as > 6k rpm excluded due to ECU A/F-riching at high revs...
Your reasoning makes sense to me. And I know it's correct because I have the mileage to prove it; I won't attempt to rationalize or prove it to someone who doesn't want to believe it. I know for a fact that you'll burn much more gas lagging the engine at low speed in a gear than accelerating smoothly through the gear and shifting to the next one. I'm not the one getting 14 MPG so I presume I must be doing something correctly. Just as I mentioned, I'm not generally flooring it through the gear to get to 4-5k, but accelerating smoothly. Works for me and I think I'm getting better mileage than the average user here has posted so I'm happy. My clutch noise is generally when I'm going slowly and not at high enough RPM to be shifting to the next gear.

Quick Reply: Is this banging sound from the transmission normal (VIDEO INCLUDED!)