Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VDC and road course/ mountain runs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 AM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it on. But when I get a chance to go to a track, I'll make some laps with it on and off. Then I get a feel for it on this car.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup +1 to the Leave it on... only time I would take it off would be on a Road course in a parking lot with the only negative of losing the Rear would be hitting an ORANGE CONE...lol

VDC= happiness when your done with the run...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 AM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Update

Well, guys. I got out there yesterday with VDC off to play around and do some very aggresive driving. I'll tell you first hand in my case I will be leaving this function off under any type of aggresive driving, maybe off all the time besides the rain. VDC sucks and is IMO over rated.

The reason I asked this question wasn't because I didn't know how to drive, but because I never owned a car with VDC. My Z didn't have it and I did very well without it. It just seems to be a distraction when it kicks. I plan to do a lot more testing before I go real stuiped. Just to reframe this is my opinion only.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPOHN
Well, guys. I got out there yesterday with VDC off to play around and do some very aggresive driving. I'll tell you first hand in my case I will be leaving this function off under any type of aggresive driving, maybe off all the time besides the rain. VDC sucks and is IMO over rated.

The reason I asked this question wasn't because I didn't know how to drive, but because I never owned a car with VDC. My Z didn't have it and I did very well without it. It just seems to be a distraction when it kicks. I plan to do a lot more testing before I go real stuiped. Just to reframe this is my opinion only.
IMO.......very stupid.

Unless you walk every stretch of road before you drive it, you are risking a lot. Just a little patch of loose gravel can throw the tail of your car out and you will be sitting in a ditch.

I hope the risk is worth the reward for you.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

What's the difference of never having it before on all my other cars? I've always done well with them. I along with others are comfortable with doing this. Just need to know you skill level and your car. What do you think people did before VDC? It really kind of spoils people not allowing them to learn full control of there car.

Last edited by SPOHN; 03-21-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
mal_TX

VDC off is only in effect if you are not on the brake or clutch.

If you touch the brake or clutch pedal at all and you are sliding the VDC will save you. The switch is only there for "accelerating" condition.

So... if you have your VDC off and you think you are going to bite the dust, your brake pedal (just pressing it enough to light the brake lights) is your "OH ****!" button. Always remember that.

And if you don't believe me, test it on a wet parking lot -- I have.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by SPOHN
What's the difference of never having it before on all my other cars? I've always done well with them. I along with others are comfortable with doing this. Just need to know you skill level and your car. What do you think people did before VDC? It really kind of spoils people not allowing them to learn full control of there car.
^^ +1

old, terribly handling FireBirds with MUCH more torque and no electronic nannies and somehow I see them on the road all the time vs. wrapped around a pole or in a ditch.

Point -- just because *you* don't know how to handle a moderately powerful RWD car doesn't mean you can assume nobody else does either. The eletronic nanny is there for bad conditions to help your chances.

IMO, it is hardly appropriate to call people foolish for driving a rwd car themselves just because the helper function is available when folks were doing it for decades before computer aids.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Originally Posted by mal_TX

If you touch the brake or clutch pedal at all and you are sliding the VDC will save you. The switch is only there for "accelerating" condition.

So... if you have your VDC off and you think you are going to bite the dust, your brake pedal (just pressing it enough to light the brake lights) is your "OH ****!" button. Always remember that.

It doesn't completely turn off? That's right. That is something I just had recently came across and read about. You have to rig a switch to wire that's supposedly right next to the ebrake underneath the center console (at least on the Z's)...your vdc and slip light will remain on but you'll have total control. I believe this is what is called the "yaw sensor"? I'm still going into depth of this. Also by doing this, your ABS WILL still work in case your wondering.

Also most of the guys with great track experience yank the ABS fuse also. That's something I'm not ready for. You have to worry about flat spotting but helps with brake drift threw some of the small turns. I'm still working on trail braking. Another reason to turn VDC off. With it on it just comes in so harsh. VDC just seems to take away total control.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX

I had no idea. I've tracked the car with it off. I was fortunate enough to have a situation where I could get acquainted with the track for as long as I wanted to at low speed and be very familiar with each turn before taking hot laps. But I never felt it engage while I had it opened up. I'll have to go and intentionally loose the rear end to test this out.

SPOHN - Let us know how your times compare without VDC on to the times you could post with it on.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 PM
SPOHN
From Z to G

I'll try to get some. I hope to be doing a track day next month. Got a lot to test.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^Thanks for getting the info for us SPOHN. Just please do it on a track so you are safe. Let us know what you find out.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:10 PM
UNV-IT46

lol i have done a few auto x's with no tc and i can tell you when you apply the brakes it does not affect anything. you have complete control. nothing was kicking in for me
Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
UNV-IT46

oh and for the wet parking lot me and some other cars have a parking lot we go to and drift at when it rains and again nothing kicked in. granted i use throttle to control most of my drift but i have used the standard brakes and e brake in mid drift and nothing kicked it
Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 AM
SPOHN
From Z to G

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I had no idea. I've tracked the car with it off. I was fortunate enough to have a situation where I could get acquainted with the track for as long as I wanted to at low speed and be very familiar with each turn before taking hot laps. But I never felt it engage while I had it opened up. I'll have to go and intentionally loose the rear end to test this out.

SPOHN - Let us know how your times compare without VDC on to the times you could post with it on.

After rereading this. I have to say you wont notice this when you open it up, as you put it. Your looking for it to come in during when you might be braking and turning at the same time. Deactivating the yaw sensor will allow you to turn and brake at the same time while having total control over the car without the VDC kicking in effecting the rotating of the car, throwing off your line under hard braking. It's amazing what I've learned in two days from reading/talking to others and actually applying it to my car. Still have a long ways to go.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 AM
NemesisG37

VDC off, enuff said.

Quick Reply: VDC and road course/ mountain runs