Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GT Motorsports: G37S VHRTT, GTM HR Turbo Kit, FCon VPro, Stock Block Testing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Emon Crew
Not Goofy...more like a smart business move on their part. While I don't like their idea of doing in-house installs only, I dont blame them at all. If I was one of the first well-known tuners out there that developed a new TT kit for a car that didn't have a significantly large list of hp upgrading mods or even other tt kits for that matter, I'd make sure my kit stayed where it was and that I could charge people what I felt like, since I developed the kit...that way I can make the largest amount of profit during this period.

Reasonable prediction: as soon as a few other companies drop TT kits for our cars, not only does

1) the in-house install go out the window (most likely explained by saying we have too many cars to handle, or we're working on developing a new kit for a diff car, i.e. new M3, IS-F, GTR, etc... which they probably will/should be)

but...

2) The kit is now being offered as a group buy, or at a limited time discount price of $X,XXX

Now I could be COMPLETELY WRONG...but if I was in the business....that's what i'd be doing
it is goofy for someone like me who has my own shop here with a full mechanical bay and dyno at my disposal. It makes no sense for me to waste money sending my car to cali to have something installed that i can do myself.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emon Crew
Not Goofy...more like a smart business move on their part. While I don't like their idea of doing in-house installs only, I dont blame them at all. If I was one of the first well-known tuners out there that developed a new TT kit for a car that didn't have a significantly large list of hp upgrading mods or even other tt kits for that matter, I'd make sure my kit stayed where it was and that I could charge people what I felt like, since I developed the kit...that way I can make the largest amount of profit during this period.

Reasonable prediction: as soon as a few other companies drop TT kits for our cars, not only does

1) the in-house install go out the window (most likely explained by saying we have too many cars to handle, or we're working on developing a new kit for a diff car, i.e. new M3, IS-F, GTR, etc... which they probably will/should be)

but...

2) The kit is now being offered as a group buy, or at a limited time discount price of $X,XXX

Now I could be COMPLETELY WRONG...but if I was in the business....that's what i'd be doing
Got to recoup the cost of time and development somehow. Also, I think they want to control the quality of this mod on a new engine. This way they can make sure it is working properly as they have only done this on their one car. I don't really find the "in house only" part of the deal to off considering they are paving TT with the new engine.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
fireboy

no i think also people are waiting for somebody else to do it and get the reviews before they do anything, people are skeered and dont want to put the money into it.... and when my G37TT daily driver is completely done i will let you guys know everything about it..should be very very soon

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
it is goofy for someone like me who has my own shop here with a full mechanical bay and dyno at my disposal. It makes no sense for me to waste money sending my car to cali to have something installed that i can do myself.
soif you have your own shop then why havent you dont it to your car yet.. or are you waiting for somebody else to do it so you dont have to put the engineering into it and develope the parts.. if you dont want to do that then yeah you are going to have to wait.... no shop inthere right mind would make there kit avaible for shipping out right now, to many kinks to workout..... you should know that

Last edited by bboysteele; 05-19-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
JanSolo

Originally Posted by fireboy
soif you have your own shop then why havent you dont it to your car yet.. or are you waiting for somebody else to do it so you dont have to put the engineering into it and develope the parts.. if you dont want to do that then yeah you are going to have to wait.... no shop inthere right mind would make there kit avaible for shipping out right now, to many kinks to workout..... you should know that
So you're saying that they are making any new customers of their turbo kits beta testers? And therefore, the first person to get the turbo kit from this company has to deal with any issues because it is not fully tested and ready to ship?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
fireboy

they have there own car that they are doing testing on but i yes your right i dout that they are going to ship their kit out until they are 100%sure that anyshop can install it, and yes i am sure they will have their kinks but having it in house they can develope or change what they need to until they have it just right... but hey i could be totally worng how about you pm george and find out i am sure he will tell you
Old 05-19-2008, 01:25 PM
JanSolo

I think it would be best if GTM just responded in this thread rather than a PM since it would answer the question for the entire forum rather than a single person.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:45 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

Hey Guys,

Just got back from a mini-vacation, just skimmed threw the post real quick.

This kit is currently be offered as in house only due to quality control, we got a lot of work from what other shops "attempt" to install.

This engine is not like the other VQ's. The VVEL changes everything, therefore, at this time, there is not a simple plug and play piggy back that can be thrown in with the kit. This car requires a lot of tuning time and the right equipment.

How would you feel if Joe Tuner blows the engine on your new Twin Turbo G37? A complete longblock from Infiniti is over $8K, I know because we ordered one for development.

I know we will lost some business because people want to do their own installs, etc. but that is just the price to pay to make sure that every GTM TT G37 on the road is running perfectly.

Let me know if I missed any questions,

-George
Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM
06mtg35

Good Answer!!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i want i want i want...
Old 05-31-2008, 07:31 PM
JanSolo

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Let me know if I missed any questions,

-George
Yes, I had a question that went unanswered.

What are the trade offs in daily driving that one would make if they went with using an HKS standalone versus a reflash on the stock OEM ECU? EG: do we miss out on such things as an AC, keyless entry, etc? As it stands now, the stock ECU manages all these things and if one loses their creature comforts for the sake of mad power, they might as well have purchased an Elise and just added a turbo from ForcedFed or some other shop instead.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JanSolo
Yes, I had a question that went unanswered.

What are the trade offs in daily driving that one would make if they went with using an HKS standalone versus a reflash on the stock OEM ECU? EG: do we miss out on such things as an AC, keyless entry, etc? As it stands now, the stock ECU manages all these things and if one loses their creature comforts for the sake of mad power, they might as well have purchased an Elise and just added a turbo from ForcedFed or some other shop instead.
With using the HKS EMS option,you will not miss out on such things as an AC, keyless entry, cruise control. Also with the FCON on board, The car will 100% operate and feel like stock as far as smoothness, drivability, etc .At the end of day we do understand that the G37 is a luxury car (i love mine ) and it has to remain as such in features and options. the only difference just couple extra 200 ponies under the hood .

Couple things i would like to add we will be offering different EMS options with our kit like a GTM flash or a piggyback system, that should help the cost of the kit. also we are shooting for a july release date of the turbo kits for the HR and the VHR, what i mean by that is the end user can now purchase the kit only and the in house installation is no longer required .

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 AM
fireboy

wow thats awesome sam
Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
With using the HKS EMS option,you will not miss out on such things as an AC, keyless entry, cruise control. Also with the FCON on board, The car will 100% operate and feel like stock as far as smoothness, drivability, etc .At the end of day we do understand that the G37 is a luxury car (i love mine ) and it has to remain as such in features and options. the only difference just couple extra 200 ponies under the hood .

Couple things i would like to add we will be offering different EMS options with our kit like a GTM flash or a piggyback system, that should help the cost of the kit. also we are shooting for a july release date of the turbo kits for the HR and the VHR, what i mean by that is the end user can now purchase the kit only and the in house installation is no longer required .

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Great news. Props to you and GTM, Sam. Conservative boost and about 410-420 to the wheels should be attainable with a reflashed ECU managing it all, right? That's my ultimate goal. Sweet!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
JanSolo

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM

So what does the FCON manage then? Just ignition timing and air/fuel? The reason I ask is because I am not very familiar with it, but I have seen a number of people using the AEM EMS and once you use that, you lose just about every creature comfort in the world as AEM assumes that if you are going to replace the OEM ECU, then you're clearly making a full time track car. I would assume based upon this that either the FCon Pro is in used in addition to the OEM ECU or HKS cracked the Infiniti ECU and can manage all the stock features. The latter doesn't seem realistic to me, so I would assume that the FCon is clearly only managing the engine which would make it seem like it's acting akin to a piggy back.

A couple points that need to be addressed as well.

1. Passing smog is going to be just about impossible in California with this kit on, unfortunately. Luckily, you have many years before you have to smog it here. But, as long as you don't have to pop your hood if a cop pulls you over, you'll be okay, or else it's most likely going to be a visit with the state ref. With that exhaust, you're screaming for police attention. So, let's say someone wanted to run the stock exhaust system, any guess on how much lower whp numbers are going to be?
2. Gas mileage is going to go down moreso with this kit. You guys didn't increase injector size and toss out the stock fuel pump for fun, so it has to be assumed that MPG is going to get worse. Any theoretical numbers on this?
3. The numbers you guys achieved, I assume, is on 91 octane. On higher octane gas, such as 92, 93, 100 and C16 or with water/meth injection, you can obviously run more timing, less fuel - so would you guys happen to have any whp numbers with fuel other than 91 if that is in fact what you used to achieve those numbers?
4. The turbos you guys are running are not big and I assume it's because you want to have smooth boost characteristics (eg: not running a 42R on a 2 liter which equals massive lag and a true test of patience). So this begs the question - when does peak boost hit? Is there any boost taper/climbing or are you running 8psi flat until redline? Run into any surging issues with this turbo?
5. Are these numbers with or without cats?

And I'll skip the question about weight distribution being altered due to the heavier front end due to the turbo kit and lighter rear due to the swapped exhaust system.

Thanks in advance and I hope I'm not pestering you guys with too many questions.

Last edited by JanSolo; 06-01-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
bumping this...

Quick Reply: GT Motorsports: G37S VHRTT, GTM HR Turbo Kit, FCon VPro, Stock Block Testing