Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GT Motorsports: G37S VHRTT, GTM HR Turbo Kit, FCon VPro, Stock Block Testing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by JanSolo
Is the standalone the only option for tuning? I wish I knew the limits of fuel management on the stock ECU, but only folks at Infiniti/Nissan, the ecu manufacturer and Tadashi@Technosquare probably know this.

I think the real question should be: If a customer chose to go with the FCon, what features would they lose versus the stock ecu?

This 600+ bhp is a lot of power and I would highly recommend that anyone who actually goes through with it to take the time to go to a high performance driving event at your local track and learn how to drive the car first.
Check out Cheston's setup: http://www.importtuner.com/features/...50z/index.html . I wonder if Tadashi would be able to do the same with our ECUs?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
fireboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am not running the fcon on my car.. working on fixing the factory part though its going on the dyno today or tomorrow keep your eye out on my thread and the numbers will be posted as soon they say i can...
but gtm has done a great good with the fcon system and is pushing some awesome numbers
Old 05-14-2008, 05:47 PM
JanSolo

Yes, the numbers are great though I doubt 90% of the people on this forum could even handle the stock car on the track, no less a car with nearly twice the horsepower.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

Yes you can run the car off a flash and use a larger MAF housing for more boost, just takes time and research but it can be done.

We really like the VPro and felt it was the best route to take with our car, can't beat the resolution and power of a standalone.

As far as what creature comforts are lost, I don't think any are just like with the G35's/350Z's but I have to confirm that with Sam.

-George
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
JanSolo

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Yes you can run the car off a flash and use a larger MAF housing for more boost, just takes time and research but it can be done.

We really like the VPro and felt it was the best route to take with our car, can't beat the resolution and power of a standalone.

As far as what creature comforts are lost, I don't think any are just like with the G35's/350Z's but I have to confirm that with Sam.
The resolution 32x32 surely is nice, but absolutely not necessary to make power. I looked on the HKS website and couldn't find much real info on it, just marketing fluff unfortunately.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JanSolo
The resolution 32x32 surely is nice, but absolutely not necessary to make power. I looked on the HKS website and couldn't find much real info on it, just marketing fluff unfortunately.

Well nothing is necessary, but the more resolution the better your car will run.

Trying to cram vacuum and boost into a 10x10 map isn't my favorite way of approaching things. But if you are running low boost it should be OK.

-George
Old 05-15-2008, 05:17 PM
JanSolo

Well nothing is necessary, but the more resolution the better your car will run.

Trying to cram vacuum and boost into a 10x10 map isn't my favorite way of approaching things. But if you are running low boost it should be OK.

-George
Do you find when tuning that you change timing, boost and afr that much from cell to cell? I ask because I've seen cars running with massive turbos easily hitting 500whp with a stock ecu.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:05 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
STIs are great examples of hitting huge WHP on stock ECUs...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:14 PM
JanSolo

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
STIs are great examples of hitting huge WHP on stock ECUs...
Exactly and my friends shop has 500whp Mitsu Evo 8 on the stock ECU.

The tools for creating massive whp on aftermarket ECUs, piggy backs, stand alones and the like are certainly much more friendly than the software that Technosquare offers.

Last edited by JanSolo; 05-15-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

While you guys are correct, you are comparing a Factory turbo car, to a factory N/A car.

On a STi for example, we usually never upgrade the ECU unless the customer wants too and is going for insane power.

Same thing with EVO's, also the STi ECU is far superior as well as the software.

The reason these 2 platforms do so well on a factory flash is because...

1) The car was FI from the factory.
2) The Re-Flashing software is very mature and developed.

On a G37 the reflashing software is still very primitive and not many people have access too, currently only TS, and seems like AAM aswell.

Also this car's ECU was designed for a N/A platform, so the MAFs will get maxed out very quickly, and you will usually not have enough cells to tune properly over 8psi or so.

Not saying it wont WORK, it will work on a flash, but the car will be much smoother with a standalone.

Hope this clears up where I am coming from

-George
Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wasnt doubting that a standalone is MUCH MUCH MUCH better... but for thoes who are cheap
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
I wasnt doubting that a standalone is MUCH MUCH MUCH better... but for thoes who are cheap
Well the cheaps one will just have to suffer with drive ability and start up issues
Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

Also keep in mind that a car can run smoothly on a flash if the injectors are scaled correctly, and the owner does not try to run a lot of boost.

I.E. if only running 6PSI or so, the car should still be pretty smooth on a properly tuned flash.

-George
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While you guys are correct, you are comparing a Factory turbo car, to a factory N/A car.

On a STi for example, we usually never upgrade the ECU unless the customer wants too and is going for insane power.

Same thing with EVO's, also the STi ECU is far superior as well as the software.

The reason these 2 platforms do so well on a factory flash is because...

1) The car was FI from the factory.
2) The Re-Flashing software is very mature and developed.

On a G37 the reflashing software is still very primitive and not many people have access too, currently only TS, and seems like AAM aswell.

Also this car's ECU was designed for a N/A platform, so the MAFs will get maxed out very quickly, and you will usually not have enough cells to tune properly over 8psi or so.

Not saying it wont WORK, it will work on a flash, but the car will be much smoother with a standalone.

Hope this clears up where I am coming from

-George
Great info, George. Thanks. Somewhere down the line, I'd like to have a turbo setup that will yield me somewhere in the low 400s to the wheels on around 7 lbs. of boost. Hopefully a custom reflash would be enough to reach those power goals.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 PM
GTM
Former Sponsor

If you want low boost, and want to save some money then a reflash should suffice if tuned properly.

400 the wheels is a piece of cake on this car, very reliable at that power level.

-George

Quick Reply: GT Motorsports: G37S VHRTT, GTM HR Turbo Kit, FCon VPro, Stock Block Testing