Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

does 6MT rev match?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
lolol ^^
Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the cars I have driven with this new electronic "throttle" (in which there is not an actual throttle but a computer reading the accelerator movement) have had this peculiar "rev-hang" attribute. It was much worse in my 2006 Civic Si but I can recognize the same behavior in the G. It doesn't bother me at all but it is not like the old days of cable throttles....
Old 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
All of the cars I have driven with this new electronic "throttle" (in which there is not an actual throttle but a computer reading the accelerator movement) have had this peculiar "rev-hang" attribute. It was much worse in my 2006 Civic Si but I can recognize the same behavior in the G. It doesn't bother me at all but it is not like the old days of cable throttles....
OK, makes me feel better after reading this. I thought this was the VVEL design and behavior. BTW, it still has a TB correct? I just wonder how it works with in conjunction with VVEL.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
cdebnil

So is rev matching always engaged on a 5AT or only when your are in manual mode? Is this whats happening?:

I'm in manual mode, in gear 1...acclerate to 5,000 RPM...shift to gear 2...and the throttle is automatically engaged (increased) so its already at approximately 5,000 rpm right after the gear change and no rpm blip down?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Throttle valve

Originally Posted by fkat
OK, makes me feel better after reading this. I thought this was the VVEL design and behavior. BTW, it still has a TB correct? I just wonder how it works with in conjunction with VVEL.
No TB as we know it. This is from an old Nissan press release.

"The first product to feature the VVEL technology is the Infiniti G37 coupe, scheduled to be unveiled at the upcoming New York International Auto Show in April, 2007.

While conventional engines control air intake using a throttle valve, VVEL-equipped engines do this directly at the intake valves, continuously controlling their valve events and lifts."

The accelerator pedal , as I understand it, is wired to the VVEL, changing the valve phase and lift, to speed up or slow down the engine.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
spyderbret

Originally Posted by cdebnil
So is rev matching always engaged on a 5AT or only when your are in manual mode? Is this whats happening?:

I'm in manual mode, in gear 1...acclerate to 5,000 RPM...shift to gear 2...and the throttle is automatically engaged (increased) so its already at approximately 5,000 rpm right after the gear change and no rpm blip down?
Actually it's the other way around. You are in third gear and you downshift to second. The computer figures out the engine RPM based on the current conditions and increases engine speed to match. For instance, you are at 3500 RPM's in third but when you switch down to second the engine needs to be at 5000 RPM's so that the shift is optimal and feels smooth. So the computer blips the throttle to increase engine speed to match the selected gear.

And it does only happen in manual or DS mode. Not standard D mode....

Make sense?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
soonerlm

Originally Posted by cdebnil

I was under the impression that rev matching would only happen during downshifts. I might be under the wrong impression though.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 AM
ELP_JC

Rev 'hanging' has nothing to do with performance engines; it's reportedly mandated by the EPA, but some cars have it much more pronounced than others, and don't know why. I've noticed 4 bangers on that group.
And it has nothing to do with throttle-by-wire either, although it's easier to achieve with those (ECU programming vs damper). Later.
JC
Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 AM
dillyyo

^^^ thanks. I know and do match manually myself. All I'm saying is that today I noticed the RPM went up as I pressed the clutch down to shift up. This is with my foot off the gas pedal. With all my other MT cars RPM needle sinks down. I'm going to take her for a spin again.

EDIT: I guess the engine must be under load for like 1/2 sec so even without any throttle it seems to jump just a little. My bad. I'm not used to this type of high performance machine.

Please don't take offense, but if you are asking a question like that, the rev matching that you currently try to do, is probably not good or correct. Unless you are heel-toeing and our pedals aren't really setup for that, it would be pretty difficult to down shift and match when you are suppose to. After reading some of the posts on this forum in regards to the FI G37 that was posted, I think most members should FIRST and FOREMOST invest 1000+ dollars into a quality driving class....and I don't mean defensive driving. I see a lot of G37's wrapped around poles in the future, if not.

Sounds like a lot of people don't truly realize how quickly a car with 5-600 RWHP can get away from you. Especially fat pigs like this. I see some members indicating they want a turbo kit and they just stepped up from a Honda civic to a G37 and now to almost a 4000 lb pig that will break the rear tires loose in probably 4 gear! Please be careful guys.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:01 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo
Please don't take offense, but if you are asking a question like that, the rev matching that you currently try to do, is probably not good or correct. Unless you are heel-toeing and our pedals aren't really setup for that, it would be pretty difficult to down shift and match when you are suppose to. After reading some of the posts on this forum in regards to the FI G37 that was posted, I think most members should FIRST and FOREMOST invest 1000+ dollars into a quality driving class....and I don't mean defensive driving. I see a lot of G37's wrapped around poles in the future, if not.

Sounds like a lot of people don't truly realize how quickly a car with 5-600 RWHP can get away from you. Especially fat pigs like this. I see some members indicating they want a turbo kit and they just stepped up from a Honda civic to a G37 and now to almost a 4000 lb pig that will break the rear tires loose in probably 4 gear! Please be careful guys.
I have to disagree with the pedal placement. I find it pretty easy to heel and toe with the current set up. yes they could be a little closer but it is by no means difficult to do if you have experience in this techniqe
Old 02-06-2009, 07:28 PM
palinka
Registered Member

This may be a dumb question but here goes. I've read here about 5AT doing rev match with some delays but does our MT do a rev match?
Now that Nissan has the automatic rev matching for downshifts feature on the 370Z, this question is not nearly as crazy as it was a year ago.
Who would have thunk it....
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know its been said already, but shouldn't the word "Manual," be self explanitory. As in you do it yourself. as apposed to automatic, we do it for you. Sorry had to take my shot.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
AndrewDDS

Way to revive an old thread Solution!! And since we're back on this topic, has anyone driven the new 370Z and tried out the "Synchro-Rev Match" transmission? I'm tempted to swing by a Nissan dealership just to try it out. If Infiniti adopts it in the 2010 model, I might be talked into upgrading!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Graham
I know its been said already, but shouldn't the word "Manual," be self explanitory. As in you do it yourself. as apposed to automatic, we do it for you. Sorry had to take my shot.
Not any more >>>

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Way to revive an old thread Solution!! And since we're back on this topic, has anyone driven the new 370Z and tried out the "Synchro-Rev Match" transmission? I'm tempted to swing by a Nissan dealership just to try it out. If Infiniti adopts it in the 2010 model, I might be talked into upgrading!!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody that actually uses the heel-and-toe technique in everyday driving, i applaud you. I rev match clutch and gas when I need to downshift, but to me the 6mt is hard to heel and toe because of the pedal setup.

Quick Reply: does 6MT rev match?