Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

5AT problems: clutch slip in MM, redline in D

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
G-imp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT problems: clutch slip in MM, redline in D

I've been having a few problems with my G37's 5AT and wanted to check the forums to see if anyone else had noticed similar issues.

I first started noticing a problem when I would shift into MM from D during hard acceleration (at various speeds). I would move the shifter over to the DS position then backwards in one movement to drop 2 gears. Problem is that revs would approach redline very fast (from normal driving revs between 2-3k) without my speed increasing much at all - while accelerating.

It seemed as if the clutch were slipping or it was in neutral, which can't be normal. At this point I would try to use the +paddle shifter to upshift: one time it didn't do anything, I had to lift off the accelerator and throw the shifter back into D while it took a few seconds to settle back into gear; one time the paddle did make the shift.

So then I stopped using this method and would just leave it in D mode and accelerate using the throttle alone (wanting to avoid even DS mode). Hard acceleration using this method has consistently produced redlines (without the clutch slipping effect, thankfully) where I either have to paddle-shift up or lift off the accelerator -- all in normal D mode -- to avoid bumping into the rev limiter. I can't imagine any normal auto D shift pattern (even under hard acceleration) where it would even approach redline, let alone hold it there until I do something about it.

I'm taking it to the dealer soon, but wanted to share/hear about any similar experiences.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
G-Pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow we both have similar user names- lol
Old 02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Jkg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine has exact same problem... took it to dealer today... didn't do it there...

pissed.. but mechanic there told me it rev match and safety mode.. car doesn't want you to slip that might be why its doing it