Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

MT vs. AUTO, feels like 2 different cars??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 AM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MT vs. AUTO, feels like 2 different cars??

While having a loaner for a few days while my G was in for service I was amazed at how different the auto sedan feels compared to my manual coupe. The loaner they gave me was an 08 G35 sedan with auto tranny, and it felt like a totally different car than my G37 manual. The sedan felt jumpier off the line, actually felt faster and more responsive to me at first when I barely pushed the gas, it took me a little bit to get used to, however the great pull that I feel in my G37 was completely missing and the G35 seemed to get stuck between gears many times. Not sure if any others have driven both, but if so, is this more a difference between coupe and sedan, or the fact that it's an auto and a manual tranny?? It was just weird that the 2 felt like completely different cars entirely. I guess the other factor could be that I'm still in my 1200 mile break in period on my G37 and have really never punched it much over 4000 RPM's, just seemed the G35 sedan jumped faster from a stop when barely pushing the gas pedal compared to my G37 coupe.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you are still in your break-in in period and you haven't pushed your G37 yet, how can you compare the two?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
spyderbret

No, your correct. My wife drives a G35 sedan and they do feel different. Especially if you drove an 07. The gas is touchy due to the drive by wire system and software. There is an update but it does not make that much difference.
I have a little over 7000 miles on my G37 now and it is starting to loosen up a bit. Well that's the way it feels. It could just be in my head...
It's definately going to feel different since it has an automatic transmission but the biggest difference I notice is the acceleration. I guess they havent totally fixed that issue on the 08's....
I really like both cars, and I appreciate the differences between the two. At least to me it does not feel like having 2 cars that are exactly the same....
Old 02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
palinka
Registered Member

You are still in the break in period and the car is already in for service? What happened?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by solution
You are still in the break in period and the car is already in for service? What happened?
Time still ticks even if your miles don't..

The Sedan is lighter so it deffinately feels quicker off the line. Don't know how it will hold up in the end compared to the 37, the 37 should pull on the 35.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
TyChee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I got our cars at the same time a few weeks ago. I got the g37 and she got the G35x. The 35x is the most fun sedan I have ever driven. I can't wait until the coupe gets AWD.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Orbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is one of the largest differences I noticed when I test drove the G35 sedan and G37. The G35 sedan has a very VERY touchy throttle, as spyderbret mentioned I believe it's actually in the way the car is setup, particular with the VQ35HR engine and it's drive by wire system. The VVEL setup of the G37 virtually eliminates the throttle plate. While a touchy throttle is great when you're in a racing mood, it's not so fun when you're in backed up stop and go traffic. This was a huge gripe with the G35 sedan, with both magazine reviews and actual owners. When I drove the 37 I noticed right away they had tried to fix this, this makes the 37 a lot more friendly in normal city driving and winter driving which I appreciate, but it definitely doesn't have that immediate jump the sedan has (for good or for bad).

Last edited by Orbie; 02-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by solution
2x for service engine soon light coming on, computer flagged a "small vapor leak", most recent time was due to a small water leak on passenger window during heavy rain, rubber molding was defective.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by Orbie
That is one of the largest differences I noticed when I test drove the G35 sedan and G37. The G35 sedan has a very VERY touchy throttle, as spyderbret mentioned I believe it's actually in the way the car is setup, particular with the VQ35HR engine and it's drive by wire system. The VVEL setup of the G37 virtually eliminates the throttle plate. While a touchy throttle is great when you're in a racing mood, it's not so fun when you're in backed up stop and go traffic. This was a huge gripe with the G35 sedan, with both magazine reviews and actual owners. When I drove the 37 I noticed right away they had tried to fix this, this makes the 37 a lot more friendly in normal city driving and winter driving which I appreciate, but it definitely doesn't have that immediate jump the sedan has (for good or for bad).
Your explaination better describes what I was trying to say about how I felt about differences of the two cars. And you're right, he G35 was no fun in stop and go traffic, to damn touchy, and if I am ever in a racing mood, I will have no problem hammering the much more predictable pedal on my G37. So I guess the auto G37 isn't like to G35 sedan as I originally thought it would have been, seems to just be a G35 sedan thing.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:13 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG37
While having a loaner for a few days while my G was in for service I was amazed at how different the auto sedan feels compared to my manual coupe. The loaner they gave me was an 08 G35 sedan with auto tranny, and it felt like a totally different car than my G37 manual. The sedan felt jumpier off the line, actually felt faster and more responsive to me at first when I barely pushed the gas, it took me a little bit to get used to, however the great pull that I feel in my G37 was completely missing and the G35 seemed to get stuck between gears many times. Not sure if any others have driven both, but if so, is this more a difference between coupe and sedan, or the fact that it's an auto and a manual tranny?? It was just weird that the 2 felt like completely different cars entirely. I guess the other factor could be that I'm still in my 1200 mile break in period on my G37 and have really never punched it much over 4000 RPM's, just seemed the G35 sedan jumped faster from a stop when barely pushing the gas pedal compared to my G37 coupe.
completely explains this and the related 3 vids.

Last edited by DiamondGCoupe; 02-22-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
berzerko

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree about the feel of the throttle of the G35 sedan, I drove two different G35x loaners when I dropped off my G37 to get my spoiler installed and to have my clutch inspected and my wife and I both thought the throttle was too touchy and unpredictable on both of them. I thought this was most noticeable starting from a stop, it seemed like there was no way to get off to a smooth 'medium' speed start. You either got going slowly but steadily to your cruising speed or you'd have to jump the car off the line. Maybe this is the result of customers driving the loaners hard and the ECU adjusting to an aggressive profile?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 AM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by speedracerg35
completely explains this and the related 3 vids.

disclaimer: do not try this at home.
Nice vid, guess the lighter G35 accounts for the edge off the line, but the extra power in the G37 really kicks in toward the end of this race, if they kept going it seems the G37 would continue pulling away from the G35. Good Stuff speedracerg35!!

Last edited by DiamondGCoupe; 02-22-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Buddy Revell

Yeah, I noticed how much quicker the sedan felt off the line than the coupe also. Compared to my girl's IS350, the G sedan is not nearly as smooth, but felt alot more responsive, almost too much as some here have said. I drove an '07 sedan loaner and then test drove an '08 G37. I told one of my buddies about this and he said I was trippin'. Haha, good to know I'm not the only one who noticed this difference.