Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Burning smell when I gas hard

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
jnifong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Burning smell when I gas hard" - me too....Bean-o or Gaz-X will fix you right up, tho.

I know, that was corny as hell, but I couldn't pass it up. haha. Once again, I bring nothing to the table.

Jon
Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Degenerazn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^lol

The last couple of posts have been very helpful. Perhaps I should've used a better title.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
I hear bad things about oil change places like that.. i would take it to the dealer and get it changed again.. and have them look over the entire car
Many times when I change my own oil in my Honda Accord and get a little bit of oil in the motor outside of the oil reserve - I get the burning smell from that oil burning. However usually when I got the oil change at the dealership professionaly that smell is not there.

Just some thoughts - it could be excess oil on your metal parts from the change. Any way to clean around it?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Degenerazn
Everybody's saying its the new car burn. I have 7300 miles on it and its about 5 months old. Its also an AT.

Could it be the oil? I got it changed at some 10 minute penzoil place, not the stealership.

Also its a slight smell, not burning sensation smell. Just wondering if anyone experienced this before.

And the fresh air button is always on, get some better air circulation for better MPG

New car burn! LOL Most likely some dip****z didn't clean oil up when he took the oil filter off and it was just burning off. Don't see how he could have spilled any putting it in from the top as it is essentially spill proof. If you keep smelling it or it gets stronger, you should bring it in as it could be leaking someplace else you can't see ie valve covers, rear seals etc
Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Degenerazn

Originally Posted by dillyyo
New car burn! LOL Most likely some dip****z didn't clean oil up when he took the oil filter off and it was just burning off. Don't see how he could have spilled any putting it in from the top as it is essentially spill proof. If you keep smelling it or it gets stronger, you should bring it in as it could be leaking someplace else you can't see ie valve covers, rear seals etc
Well, I hadn't noticed any burning smell since I got it changed about a month ago. The burn smell only came when I pushed the car over 100mpg. Could it be just bad oil?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

i wouldn't imagine it being bad oil already. are you driving super hard? any smoke coming from motor? pop the hood see if their is oil on the block from spillage?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the smell is going i would say i was oil that leaked down....
Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
I have an 06 6MT Coupe, and after a night of hard runs, continuous redlining and downshifting, I receive a distinctive smell in return once I park her in the garage. My friends Z has the same smell after some hard runs. In short words, its the smell of the VQ. If you run her hard (the way its supposed to be), you will always smell it. It doesnt quite go away. Even after 2 years, mine is still there after spirited driving. There is nothing wrong with your car sir.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:03 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by chilibowl
I have an 06 6MT Coupe, and after a night of hard runs, continuous redlining and downshifting, I receive a distinctive smell in return once I park her in the garage. My friends Z has the same smell after some hard runs. In short words, its the smell of the VQ. If you run her hard (the way its supposed to be), you will always smell it. It doesnt quite go away. Even after 2 years, mine is still there after spirited driving. There is nothing wrong with your car sir.
I just cleared the 1200 mile break in period and the past 2 days when I ran my G hard for a few runs I experienced the exact same smell as you guys have described. It was even more noticable when I put her in the garage as
Chilibowl has described.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought i noticed this as well i Checked all over the car wife told me i was nuts.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM
palinka
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Degenerazn
Everybody's saying its the new car burn. I have 7300 miles on it and its about 5 months old. Its also an AT.
Hard to guess without experiencing it in person, but sounds like you gave your car an "italian tuneup". If you don't run you car to redline on a regular basis, you will get carbon buildup in your exhaust. Then when you give the car a couple good runs, you will burn off this excess carbon buildup, thus the smell.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I had that burning smell when I first brought home my G (April 21st). At first, I thought it was from the ginormous brakes. Which I hope it is.
Now I think I really suck at driving a stick and burning off my clutch.
Can anyone tell me the difference??
BTW, I can smell it from the brakes. And I sometimes smell it in the cabin at a stop light or soon after I've parked.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 PM
ucla bruin

^clutch burn smells pretty bad. Not just a regular "oh, is something burning on the stove?" smell. There's an element of stink in the burnt smell.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
stevenmeister

U guys are driving toooooooo fast.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by stevenmeister
U guys are driving toooooooo fast.
your just driving too slow... lol

Quick Reply: Burning smell when I gas hard