Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine questions before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
ELP_JC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine questions before I buy

Hey gang, would appreciate some answers on the VQ37 engine. Guess am paranoid after buying a GTO and finding out it ticks like a 150K-mile old truck. HATE that. Never thought an engine (especially an old bastard with pushrods) with hydraulic lifters would tick when new. They blame it on the aluminum block. None of my many DOHC V8 engines have made a sound like that, but am ready to have my first V6 car (thanks to fuel costs, and their superior performance).

Anyway, on to the questions:

- Does the 3.7 have chain or belt-driven cams?

- Does it have hydraulic or mechanical valve actuators?

- Does the engine is supposed to audibly tick at idle? I don't mind engine noise as long as it's not the 'tack tack tack'

- Does it have variable valve timing on the exhaust or not? Brochure only mentions both variable valve timing AND valve lift on intake, but nothing on the exhaust.

- Premium or regular fuel? I'm afraid it'd be premium, but just want to make sure.

Thank you folks. Have a great day.
JC
Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Almost all nice cars are 91 oct prem or +...
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
- Chain
- No idea
- Never
- Sounds like it does..
- Premium is recommended, especially if you don't want the engine coughing like that GTO.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
- Chain
- No idea
- Never
- Sounds like it does..
- Premium is recommended, especially if you don't want the engine coughing like that GTO.
Thanks man. And the GTO requires premium as well (10.9 compression), so doesn't cough. Runs like a beast, and drives really nice, but can't stand the ticking at idle. Last pushrod engine I EVER buy, and last domestic (and any subsidiary) as well. This car looks like a European car inside (that's why I traded my Vette for this), you can see GM's hand (not a good thing) all over. Much rather have less power but more refinement. I'm done with V8s and expensive cars. With something like the G37, it's a waste of money. Thank you for your comments again.
JC
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Thanks man. And the GTO requires premium as well (10.9 compression), so doesn't cough. Runs like a beast, and drives really nice, but can't stand the ticking at idle. Last pushrod engine I EVER buy, and last domestic (and any subsidiary) as well. This car looks like a European car inside (that's why I traded my Vette for this), you can see GM's hand (not a good thing) all over. Much rather have less power but more refinement. I'm done with V8s and expensive cars. With something like the G37, it's a waste of money. Thank you for your comments again.
JC
No prob, while the G lacks a bit of power compared to the GTO you will be very pleased with its style and interior refinement. Head over for that test drive!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
LAZY TURBO

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
premium gas forsure, its better to pay an extra $2-3 to get what the car needs.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM
raptorius

The ticking sound on some new cars can be attributed to direct fuel injectors, such as can be found on the Lexus IS and the GS
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 PM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by raptorius
The ticking sound on some new cars can be attributed to direct fuel injectors, such as can be found on the Lexus IS and the GS
That's perfectly normal indeed, and I know how that sound like. I'm talking about valvetrain tick. But thanks for making the comment.

Hey, drove a 6MT this afternoon. Didn't really get on it since it was new, but drives very nicely, and don't see all the criticism of the engine not being smooth; smooth enough for me. However, there was a real downer for me, and it was the damn center console (too low and far back) and door armrest (too low). Didn't enjoy driving with my right arm hanging; HATED that. What the hell was Nissan thinking? Geez. And my left arm wasn't comfortable either. Bummer. Don't know what I'll do, but the fact car is first model year and dealer wants sticker, it's looking doubtful I'd be an Infiniti owner. Will depend on the competition. Will keep you posted.
JC
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Carlitos_SS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ELP_JC
That's perfectly normal indeed, and I know how that sound like. I'm talking about valvetrain tick. But thanks for making the comment.

Hey, drove a 6MT this afternoon. Didn't really get on it since it was new, but drives very nicely, and don't see all the criticism of the engine not being smooth; smooth enough for me. However, there was a real downer for me, and it was the damn center console (too low and far back) and door armrest (too low). Didn't enjoy driving with my right arm hanging; HATED that. What the hell was Nissan thinking? Geez. And my left arm wasn't comfortable either. Bummer. Don't know what I'll do, but the fact car is first model year and dealer wants sticker, it's looking doubtful I'd be an Infiniti owner. Will depend on the competition. Will keep you posted.
JC
I know what you mean about the ticking in your GTO. I've got a 1998 Camaro SS that does the same thing. There is an easy fix for that problem, though. Put a cutout on the exhaust and leave it open! You'll never hear the ticking again! j/k I've got the same complaint about the center console being too far back. I would have given up one of the cup holders to extend the center console a bit. As far as the door armrest... did you try lowering the seat? The up and down function on the seat has quite a bit of travel. As far as the dealer not budging from MSRP, F**K him! Lot's of dealers out there are willing to come down. I bought mine a week ago for about $600 over invoice.

'Los
Old 02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Carlitos_SS

Just checked the Car and Driver Spec Sheet. Chain driven cams, hydraulic lifters, variable timing and lift on intake, variable timing on the exhaust.

'Los
Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 AM
ELP_JC

Originally Posted by Carlitos_SS
Just checked the Car and Driver Spec Sheet. Chain driven cams, hydraulic lifters, variable timing and lift on intake, variable timing on the exhaust.
Great news; thanks a lot. And good to hear some dealers are actually dealing on these cars; that's what competition does, but there's nothing of that here. Maybe I'll have to buy out of town yet again.

And yes, I put the seat all the way down, and felt too low. Didn't adjust it up while test driving it (was a short one), but I'd certainly do that if I owned it, leaving the armrests practically useless. I'd need to drive the car again, but don't know how dealer would take that. HATE to feel pressured, but there's no other dealer around for 300 miles. That's one thing I like about Lexus; they always turned me loose on their cars, and alone. Even before I bought my first. After the 4th I could take it home if I wanted to (I didn't). Thanks again; appreciate it.
JC
Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
majin ssj eric

The door seems a bit low to me but the center console is the perfect height for my arm to rest on....