Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch sounds like a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM
teedough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Its the nature of the beast. Ive driven an 04 G, my 06G, an 03Z, and an 06Z. Guess what? When coming to a stop and pushing in the clutch, you hear a loud clapping clank, on all of em. Simply the nature of the 6MT. Nothing is wrong. I promise you
PHEW~
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
ProstylezG37

have the same problem guys! got my appointment tomorrow so they can swap whatever they need to change....saw a post where someone got some things changed and everything was normal....so im a copy and paste that list of things he changed out and head in tomorrow for my operation!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
ProstylezG37

Originally Posted by ProstylezG37
have the same problem guys! got my appointment tomorrow so they can swap whatever they need to change....saw a post where someone got some things changed and everything was normal....so im a copy and paste that list of things he changed out and head in tomorrow for my operation!
HERES THAT THREAD I WAS TALKING ABOUT....

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...t=181811:NOOO:
Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM
G37MA

keep us posted
I sometimes get a noise when coming to a stop my clutch gets really loud in neutral, like a diesel or scraping noise. If I clutch in it goes away.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:55 AM
teedough

Who else is having this problem? I have it and its only been 500 miles.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Tarshi

Me too

I went dealer today but they say it is normal. They also said, "If you wanna check the crutch, yes, we can check but nothing about failure, you have to pay labor, it is $600". ....I can not say anything.....
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
teedough

I also went to the dealership today. I checked 2 other G37S 6MT and they all did the same. They said that 07 G35 had a throw out bearing recall but nothing they know about the 08 G37S. If anything it can't be the throw outbearing because it goes away when the clutch is engaged while in neutral. If the rattling noise is still there when you engage the clutch then you might have a problem. The rattling noise while clutch is not engaged can be because of the lighter flywheel. DISREGARD WHAT I JUST SAID. I HAVENT TRIED THIS ON A NEW G37 S THEY GAVE ME ONE WITH 5k MILES AND ANOTHER WITH 3k. SOMETHING IS DEFINATELY WRONG WITH OUR TRANSMISSION.

Last edited by teedough; 07-02-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by teedough
I also went to the dealership today. I checked 2 other G37S 6MT and they all did the same. They said that 07 G35 had a throw out bearing recall but nothing they know about the 08 G37S. If anything it can't be the throw outbearing because it goes away when the clutch is engaged while in neutral. If the rattling noise is still there when you engage the clutch then you might have a problem. The rattling noise while clutch is not engaged can be because of the lighter flywheel. DISREGARD WHAT I JUST SAID. I HAVENT TRIED THIS ON A NEW G37 S THEY GAVE ME ONE WITH 5k MILES AND ANOTHER WITH 3k. SOMETHING IS DEFINATELY WRONG WITH OUR TRANSMISSION.
Wrong, if the sound goes away when you push the clutch in, then it IS the throw out bearing.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
sharif@forged
Former Sponsor

You guys have very sensative ears.....you should listen to some of the aftermarket multi plate clutches and flywheels we install on the 350Z/G35....talk about a racket!!!

This is a high performance sports coupe...she's going to make a few noise.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
teedough

Originally Posted by sharif@forged
You guys have very sensative ears.....you should listen to some of the aftermarket multi plate clutches and flywheels we install on the 350Z/G35....talk about a racket!!!

This is a high performance sports coupe...she's going to make a few noise.
Bump ^ The higher percentage of people that say this is normal comes from people that have more than 150+ posts. So who am I to believe?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
teedough

Originally Posted by Staples
Wrong, if the sound goes away when you push the clutch in, then it IS the throw out bearing.
You should start a private conversation with people that say its normal. Have you gotten yours replaced?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM
totski

Exclamation NEW G37 does not make any noises!!

I have the same problem!! When i brought it to the dealership to have it check, they stated that this is normal But when i test drove another 6MT the car does not make any noise(s) what so ever. still this dint stop me to try another car JUST to make sure , after a day or two i test drove another one from a different dealership Guess what guys?? same no noise at all. So hmmmm!! im really confused now!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Tarshi

I tried another thing.

1. Keep about 3,000rpm at neutral, not engage crutch.
2. Then engage the crutch, drop immediately about 200rpm. also noise too.

Is it normal?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
ddominator1

guys... just spoke with my dealer in Sarasota, Fl and it it DEFINATELY a problem! To what extent they really don't know as their have not been any clutch failures as of yet. He discussed it with 3 top mechanics at Infinity and they all agreed it was the flywheel / bearing making sound when clutch is NOT engaged. They noted Infinity prob will not recall this due to fact that there are no major performance or blown out clutches reported, however it is SPECULATED that this may lead to performance and/or clutch failures w. higher mileage. My rep advised me to take it in so mechanics can look at it and (most likely) will change flywheel and pressure bearings... Just keepin u all informed on this POTENTIALLY disasterous situation...later
I would def contact your dealership about this...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddominator1
guys... just spoke with my dealer in Sarasota, Fl and it it DEFINATELY a problem! To what extent they really don't know as their have not been any clutch failures as of yet. He discussed it with 3 top mechanics at Infinity and they all agreed it was the flywheel / bearing making sound when clutch is NOT engaged. They noted Infinity prob will not recall this due to fact that there are no major performance or blown out clutches reported, however it is SPECULATED that this may lead to performance and/or clutch failures w. higher mileage. My rep advised me to take it in so mechanics can look at it and (most likely) will change flywheel and pressure bearings... Just keepin u all informed on this POTENTIALLY disasterous situation...later
I would def contact your dealership about this...

Great.....This is the behavior of EVERY SINGLE 6mt...U would think the engineers would fix something this idiotic by the new 2008 model....Mine makes the noise too and it's definitely more noticeable now at 4,250 miles then how it sounded back around 2,000 miles...and when the car was new it hardly made the noise at all. So just the fact that the noise is progressively getting louder negates that it's the "lightweight" flywheel. Gimme a break unless the thing is intelligently getting lighter as time goes on.

Infiniti isn't going to do anything about this because every car has it, it's too expensive. When my car is high mleage I will be out of warranty so we're getting d i c k e d either way cause the symptons are in warranty and the calamity as a result could be out of warranty.

If a TSB or recall came out for this I would be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Clutch sounds like a diesel