Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GAS-Regular or premium? and GUMOUT-good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Mikerilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAS-Regular or premium? and GUMOUT-good or bad?

Im embarassed. The first four times I put regular in my tank. Then, after finding the sign that said "only use premium" I stupidly translated that as "only use plus" then two days ago i asked for "plus" and the he gave me "regular" so i was fuming (internally) about how that will mess up my car THEN i go to read the sign on the tank again and found out that i translated it wrong and that the entire 4600 miles of using my car i was using the wrong gas!!!!!

so i been reading about this online. and the general consensus is that the "idiots" say it doesnt matter (not my terms) and that the "chemical mechanics" say that it DOES matter and they reccomend a fuel cleaner such as GUMOUT . so i bought gumout but found a forum where people are claiming that it destroys their car.

So what does a true idiot like me do? should i worry?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Manufactures recommendation is 91, that's premium. There's a big debate on this though, just google premium gas. Some say you can run 89 safely when it's cold but should switch to 91 when the temp is above 90 degrees. The price differnce is neglegable for me and I'm betting you'll get better performance and fuel economy with Premium so I'm sticking with 91 or actually 93 at my altitude.

I wouldn't put any additives in your gas.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just start using Premium... I don't recommend additives such as Gumout, Marvels Mystery, etc. You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:00 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i wouldn't worry bout it too much...the car automatically adjusts itself with the octane used...just start using premium for now on
Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ +11
Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well - just to sleep better at night and make up for a little bit of possible build up I would maybe run a tank on good fuel system cleaner...Like Chevron Fuel System cleaner...kinda concentrated stuff but not as hardcore as Gumout - that's not necessary.

http://www.autobarn.net/ch65740t.html

^^^ that stuff is real good and u can get it at an awesome price online like 6 bucks....maybe 10 on foot at the store...pour in your next EMPTY tank and than fill up a 91-93 FULL tank as you are supposed to dilute it and drive the tank out all the way at that mixture (dont add more gas till it's empty again) and you should effectively reverse the little buildup if any...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
No gumout, fuel system cleaner, etc is necessary. The benefit to using higher octane gas is cleaner combustion and your car will make slightly more power. You won't have problems with knocking or pinging with higher octane either. You didn't damage your car but many fuel additives will. Just start using 92 or 93 octane and you'll be fine.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I use Chevron or Shell Additives about every 3,000 miles on top of Premium 93 Octane gas. Don't know if it helps but it sure can't hurt.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
3des

Ah, NJ, the wacky state where you can't pump your own gas. Read your manual! Front to back. You can use a lower grade petrol if no premium is available but only half a tank or less until you can make it to another station that has 91+.

*edit*
You will also see in the manual that Infiniti strongly recommends AGAINST the use of any fuel additives. Do not use gumout!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
No gumout, fuel system cleaner, etc is necessary. The benefit to using higher octane gas is cleaner combustion and your car will make slightly more power. You won't have problems with knocking or pinging with higher octane either. You didn't damage your car but many fuel additives will. Just start using 92 or 93 octane and you'll be fine.
+1
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Spazpilot

Like most have already said just start using premium and you should be fine and if you run shell, chevron, or exxon there fuel contains additives in them. At least in Dallas the do.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:42 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3des
Ah, NJ, the wacky state where you can't pump your own gas. Read your manual! Front to back. You can use a lower grade petrol if no premium is available but only half a tank or less until you can make it to another station that has 91+.

*edit*
You will also see in the manual that Infiniti strongly recommends AGAINST the use of any fuel additives. Do not use gumout!
you cant pump your own gas in NJ? wow...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
DoubleParadoxx

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
you cant pump your own gas in NJ? wow...
Nope. Its a total pain in the *** too.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
gas prices in ny, i think im going to have to go with reg.

Now, say i decide to put in reg, then i have to fill up not on e but close enough and i have a couple extra dollars in my pocket and i want to put in super, how would that effect my car if it has effect on it at all
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
3des

Guys...The octane rating of these and any performance motor is driven by the compression ratio. If you fill with sub 91 octane fuel consistently you risk knocking. Knocking = engine damage. If you cannot afford premium fuel for this car then you cannot afford this car. Sorry.

Quick Reply: GAS-Regular or premium? and GUMOUT-good or bad?