Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Rough downshift in 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
NemesisG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough downshift in 5AT

Have any of you experienced rough and stumbling downshifts in your 5AT when downshifting from 2nd to 1st...mostly when comming to a stop?

Ive noticed that sometimes when you downshift into 1st the car can get really jerky and sometimes even sounds like a clunk....the down shift isnt as smooth as it is from 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd. 2nd to 1st is really rough.

Im downshifting at about 3-4k rpm.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Anecdoter

Cold Engine and Tranny?

I've noticed some rough shifting when the engine is cold and the outside temperature is 30 degrees fahrenheit or less. However, if you let the engine idle for two to three minutes before shifting out of park (like the manual recommends), the shifting is pretty smooth - even when the outside temperature is around 10 degrees.

Since the automatic G37's have a transmission cooler (or what appears to be one outside the radiator), there may not be enough pressure to execute smooth shifts when the fluid is extremely cold.

Of course, if you live in a part of the country that still has warm temperatures, then this obviously isn't the issue.

Originally Posted by NemesisG37
Have any of you experienced rough and stumbling downshifts in your 5AT when downshifting from 2nd to 1st...mostly when comming to a stop?

Ive noticed that sometimes when you downshift into 1st the car can get really jerky and sometimes even sounds like a clunk....the down shift isnt as smooth as it is from 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd. 2nd to 1st is really rough.

Im downshifting at about 3-4k rpm.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:39 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I only noticed that once. I reset the ECU and it hasn't done it since. It was not quite as abrupt as yours as described. The rev matching seemed like it engages a split second too late.

The old ones would do it because it didn't have rev matching. The remedy was to let the car downshift when stopping from 3 to 2 to 1. The car will actually skip 2 and go straight from 3 to 1 if you let it downshift on it's own.
The other remedy on the older G's was to blip the throttle a little on your own. But since this car has rev matching, you shouldn't be gettign that much shft shock.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I've noticed this, it actually made my car a little jumpy from 2-1. Nothing unusual I notice the Rev matching less and less when I downshift.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM
NemesisG37

ya, the first thing i thought was that it was a lot like my brothers G35 coupe. I guess ill have to get it checked out.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 AM
hankuknamza

I feel that too when i come to stop. let me know what it is if you get checked out nemesisg37.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

I wouldn't bother "getting it checked out." There is nothing abnormal about this and nothing Infiniti does can fix it.. Don't waste your time taking it in for service, you will get used to it perhaps give it a little gas when your going from 2-1. MM takes a little getting used to then you should be able to shift flawlessly.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 AM
NemesisG37

This problem only occurs when im comming to a stop. So giving the car gas doesnt solve my issue, as its the opposite of what im trying to do.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM
KAHBOOM

Well you wouldjust need to blip the throttle a little- not enough to accelerate.

The easier remedy which always works for me (in both this car and my previous G35) is to upshift to 3 just before reaching 10- 12MPH where the car automatically downshifts to 1. That will solve the shift shock.
I have noticed through the nears that the G never gives shift shock when it goes from 3-1 only from 2-1 .
Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one that has felt this.

If I am driving in the manual shift mode, I will not experince the rough downshifting. If I am driving, regularly (AT) that is when it comes through. I have honestly got a little dizzy from the jerk.

It sucks cuz I live in SoCal, and traffic is a daily activity. I usually go from 1 to 3rd gear then back down, and I feel the jerk. I commute about 1hr of traffice daily, and the ride isn't as pleasent.

Maybe resetting the ECU. I read a post that gave instructions on how to do that without disconnecting the battery.See how that goes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

While resetting your ECU is not a bad idea, I highly doubt this will solve a downshifting problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
K37

I had similar concerns as of recent and called up service in which they informed me that this is quite normal for the engine/rpms to jerk on downshift from second to first. So i guess get used to it folks or hope for warmer weather since this came about only when it got cold. Either way gotta love the ride. =)
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Gwhiz37

Junyea - I'm with you on the jerk and experienced a little motion sicness. Others - this is not right. I question it in earlier posts when I asked about trouble with the higher than normal RPM upon slowing down in AT and many of you experienced that. Now, this issue. Its not just something to get use to - it jerks and is jumpy, maybe in time right into the car in front of you. Ever drove the Audi w/ the surge problem? I did in my early years and it is a safety hazard, not just the "way it is". And, moving the gear to manual each time to avoid the jerk, only to have to put it back into AT to go back to DS (if you don't want to run in MT) is a pain in the a...

Let's see what the dealers do (not say) when you take the car in for service and have to check it out. A good dealer will call into Infiniti, register the issue, allowing Infiniti to start documenting the concern. Then, when enough items come in, they may look at the item in greater detail. Being silent does not help Infiniti look to the problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
KAHBOOM

Hmmm Now I have never ever experienced it in regular AT mode.
There is something wrong if it is doing that.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 AM
NemesisG37

never in AT only in MM downshifting myself from 2-1 comming to a complete stop.

Quick Reply: Rough downshift in 5AT