Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Weak Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 PM
S6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak Clutch?

For as long as I have been driving a stick I have used a "clutch slip" technique to launch the car off of the line.

It's a common technique that involves reving the motor into the higher power band and the letting the clutch out to a point where the car is accelerating, but the clutch is slipping to maintain rpm.

It's hard on the clutch, but clutches are cheaper than transmissions, and done properly, you avoid the bog that results from dropped the clutch. This results in quicker initial acceleration with reduced tire spin.

This worked great in my G35, but it seems to be a problem on the G37. It appears that the higher hp has outmatched the pressure plate, as the clutch wants to submarine and smoke.

This is disappointing since the G35 clutch had no problem with constant abuse over 45K miles.

Has anyone else stupid enough to have noticed this?

Does anyone know if the higher pressure NISMO 350Z plate will work on the
G37?

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by S6MT
For as long as I have been driving a stick I have used a "clutch slip" technique to launch the car off of the line.

It's a common technique that involves reving the motor into the higher power band and the letting the clutch out to a point where the car is accelerating, but the clutch is slipping to maintain rpm.

It's hard on the clutch, but clutches are cheaper than transmissions, and done properly, you avoid the bog that results from dropped the clutch. This results in quicker initial acceleration with reduced tire spin.

This worked great in my G35, but it seems to be a problem on the G37. It appears that the higher hp has outmatched the pressure plate, as the clutch wants to submarine and smoke.

This is disappointing since the G35 clutch had no problem with constant abuse over 45K miles.

Has anyone else stupid enough to have noticed this?

Does anyone know if the higher pressure NISMO 350Z plate will work on the
G37?

Thanks,

If you want to race then drop in a 6 puck racing clutch and don't slip! No matter how you look at it, either glazing over clutches pads, warping flywheels and getting them replaced several times or possibly wearing a tranny is going to cost you money. Unless you can do a clutch job yourself, you might want to reconsider which you are willing to wear as the tranny is covered under a driveline warranty. A clutch I think is a wear item!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Spazpilot

It does seem that the G37 clutch is weaker. At least compared to my 350Z I had. I will just wait till ACT releases a extreme pressure plate with a street disk, It worked great on my Z with the Greddy TT pushing 433rwhp.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
It does seem that the G37 clutch is weaker. At least compared to my 350Z I had. I will just wait till ACT releases a extreme pressure plate with a street disk, It worked great on my Z with the Greddy TT pushing 433rwhp.
I have always preferred RPS clutches with their replaceable insert flywheels. Have one on my 32Z TT along with the Max street clutch.

BTW, did you do any internal mods with that Greddy kit? what boost were u running?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Spazpilot

Originally Posted by dillyyo
I have always preferred RPS clutches with their replaceable insert flywheels. Have one on my 32Z TT along with the Max street clutch.

BTW, did you do any internal mods with that Greddy kit? what boost were u running?
No internal mods and was running 9psi of boost. Ran great till it overboost and shot a rod through the block. It happens. Looking forward to see if the greddy kit will be available for our G's.