Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

When does the G37 get some mild cams?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When does the G37 get some mild cams?

Had a 03 350Z and this was the only thing missing from that car. I had headers, exhaust, intake, plenum, crank pulley, reflash/tune, etc. I really wanted cams to liven up the VQDE up top.

just wondering how great it would be to have some mild aftermarket cams that would improve mid and high end and net around 10-15whp.

If i ever mod my car the cams and reflash would e the only think on my list.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
Had a 03 350Z and this was the only thing missing from that car. I had headers, exhaust, intake, plenum, crank pulley, reflash/tune, etc. I really wanted cams to liven up the VQDE up top.

just wondering how great it would be to have some mild aftermarket cams that would improve mid and high end and net around 10-15whp.

If i ever mod my car the cams and reflash would e the only think on my list.
The labor and price for cams is seriously not worth the small increase in power. If I had a G37, id save all my pennies and get a FI system in the future. Intakes, Exhausts, do nothing for VQ's
Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
cvt

of course F/I is best bang for buck....but some people (like me) prefer n/a due to reliability and the way it delivers the power.

some people don't want HP monsters...but want to accentuate what the car already has.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:50 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with the VVT, I dont see any cams in the near future...

if anything we will see some kind of cam control box or ecu tune...

afterall, changing cams will adjust cam lift / duration... but so does the VVT... so in essance, its already like installing cams but having on the fly adjustability controled by the ecm...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by SLaPiNFuNK
with the VVT, I dont see any cams in the near future...

if anything we will see some kind of cam control box or ecu tune...

afterall, changing cams will adjust cam lift / duration... but so does the VVT... so in essance, its already like installing cams but having on the fly adjustability controled by the ecm...
are you saying because the car has variable valve timing it does not need cams? what about K20A2s on RSX-Ss?

that just doesn't make sense...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

Originally Posted by cvt
are you saying because the car has variable valve timing it does not need cams? what about K20A2s on RSX-Ss?

that just doesn't make sense...
do those motors have adjustable lift as well?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

What I am saying is... If the motor already has variable Lift which will also change duration of the cam, wouldnt just programming it to adjust at different rates across the powerband benifit the same if not better than a cam upgrade... hence being able to adjust the amount of lift / duration through the power band...

Name:  cv36130.jpg
Views: 4849
Size:  99.1 KB
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM
SLaPiNFuNK

I know you from the my350z forum... you know me too...

the VQ37VHR is a bit different from the VQ35DE or even the VQ35DE Rev-UP motor...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
tabbott

Yes, that's what is so cool about the new VVEL system. Variable valve event and lift. Aftermarket cams are not necessary because the ecu controls the valve timing and lift now. It was mentioned about that a reflash of some sort could be created to tell the ECU to open the valves more just like some aftermarket cams would do.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
cvt

i see what you are saying...yes the car has variable lift but only within the spec of the duration of lift in the cam itself. i am speaking of more aggressive cams with higher lift.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 PM
cvt

...wait...now I'M confused....i need more readin'...LOL
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But don't all car manufacturer's have some sort of VVEL?

Acura/Honda = VTEC
Lexus/Toyota = VVTI
BMW = Valvetronic Valve Management/VANOS
Etc etc...

Why would VVEL prevent Infiniti/Nissans from getting aftermarket cams?...They have cams for every other manufacturer. Maybe I'm missing something something here...
Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
3des

VTEC simply engages an alternate cam profile (more aggressive lobes) at a certain RPM. It's literally a single cam with 2 profiles. VVEL uses output cams who's profiles can be adjusted independently by changing the fulcrum of the links that close the intake valves. There may be no benefit at all to changing cams in this motor. Like SlapinFunk said, a tune will likely be the best bet.

http://www.nissansportmag.com/newsno...echnology.html
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3des
VTEC simply engages an alternate cam profile (more aggressive lobes) at a certain RPM. It's literally a single cam with 2 profiles. VVEL uses output cams who's profiles can be adjusted independently by changing the fulcrum of the links that close the intake valves. There may be no benefit at all to changing cams in this motor. Like SlapinFunk said, a tune will likely be the best bet.

http://www.nissansportmag.com/newsno...echnology.html
But isn't VVTI and VANOS more similiar to VVEL?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM
3des

Yep Vanos is very similar to vvel but goes a step further. The new BMW V8 uses double Vanos which controls both the intake and exhaust cams which are variable across the motor's entire RPM range. The DME controls it and it's based on oil pressure and pedal position. The end goal is the same (valve event control) but the use of special cam grinds will probably be left to the domestics.

Quick Reply: When does the G37 get some mild cams?