Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Cold start noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:48 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
OK I am gettin really confused about this whole exhaust issue...When I start my car cold it rumbles louder and is pretty throaty for about 15-20 seconds and then it calms down and becomes normal but are you guys sure this isn't normal? Are people actually getting replaced mufflers out of this and cold starts are getting quieter?

So let me get this straight - with a "perfect" muffler does that mean that after our cars are left in the cold overnight (in currently 15-25 degree Northern weather) and we start her up the next day - the 1st 15 seconds or so should NOT be louder at all? I thought it was natural...! What's the truth on this? Maybe Jason@Riverside could shed some light as to how our stock mufflers are designed and supposed to behave on a cold start.....
the issue is not the cold start noise. its the fact that no matter how much you drive or how warm the exhaust gets the noise does not go away. I can drive for an hour straight get out of the car and go to the rear and the noise is still there.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ahhh interesting. I get it. So the cold start throaty rumble for 15-20 secs when turning her on is normal but many of you are experiencing a metal clanging/rattle every second the car is on? But I thought some of you were mentioning it goes away when the car warms....? Or does it just get better?

Anyhow I dunno why this exhaust thing is happening in some cars....I wonder if Im not driving my car hard enough to get it lol. Cause if mine is in remission I want it to come out so I can fix on warranty...
Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
ahhh interesting. I get it. So the cold start throaty rumble for 15-20 secs when turning her on is normal but many of you are experiencing a metal clanging/rattle every second the car is on? But I thought some of you were mentioning it goes away when the car warms....? Or does it just get better?

Anyhow I dunno why this exhaust thing is happening in some cars....I wonder if Im not driving my car hard enough to get it lol. Cause if mine is in remission I want it to come out so I can fix on warranty...
my sound does not go away. and if you have the broken exhaust issue it should not go away for you either.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Britelite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throaty Rumble Normal

Joe,

the throaty rumble and roar is normal, I had a horrible crappy tinny noise that also went away like the throaty rumble. the master tech said he'd had a few in and it was a baffle issue. BTW I love the throaty rumble!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Had the same problem on my G. on cold starts my muffler would rattle like krazy. took it to the dealer and they replaced my muffler. now sound is gone
Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 PM
spyderbret

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
Had the same problem on my G. on cold starts my muffler would rattle like krazy. took it to the dealer and they replaced my muffler. now sound is gone
+1

Same thing happend to me. Definately get it checked out...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Trader_J
I was wondering if anybody else has seen this with their G37. When I start my car in the morning (especially on a rare cold So. Florida morning), my car make a nasty (valve?) rattle noise for the first 20-30 seconds. I have no idea what it is but it is definitely in the engine area. I tried to blip to throttle from 1k to 2.5k rpm's and it almost stalled while making this noise. It's really pissing me off now. After the car warms a bit, it goes away. I took it to the dealer and they could not duplicate. I'm going to record it when its cold one morning to prove it to them. Please chime in, because I'm at a loss here. The guys in 08' Altima's seen to have the same crap as well (I don't know if it applies b/c our motors are slightly different)...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...postid=3075759

Let me know what you think.
JK
Are you running thicker than required oil? The rattle is most likely valve or lifter tap. If it goes away and it's under the hood then I would not worry to much as it is going away because oil is making it's way up through the heads. You need to open your hood on a colder FL morning, have your wife stat your car and listen right over the intake plenum. Sometimes exhaust rattles can be transmitted up through the mani's and sound like they are coming from the engine. If it is lifter or valve tap then you will hear it at the top of the engine. If it goes away it is not something I would sweat as even if their is something detrimentally wrong with the engine, it's guaranteed for awhile. If it persists and gets worse, tell Infiniti you want them to document it just iin case, later on a issue shows up with a rod bearing, excessive valve wear, bad guides etc.

Ok, just checked and they are hydraulic lifters. Notorious for some early startup rattle noise. Have heard them so bad that you would swear you had rod knock.

Last edited by dillyyo; 01-28-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Ahujadaddy

I think i was one of the first, if not the first on these boards to have this issue.
Got the muffler replaced, problem was corrected. Now... a good few months later the horrible sound is starting to return. Gonna nip it in the bud this time and call them right away.

>_<

At this rate i should just ask for an aftermarket axleback exhaust, or the optional one they get over in Japan for the 370 GT
Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
teamepic12

if u run a low octane in the car it can make a noise like that
Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Ahujadaddy

perhaps.

nuthin but shell V power for me 93 all the way
Old 03-05-2008, 07:04 PM
teamepic12

yeah 93 is the best to run in all infinti's
Old 03-06-2008, 12:29 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
good thing cali sucks ***** and i have to run 91 MMMM RACE GAS!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:43 AM
ELP_JC

Sounds like one of 2 things: piston slap or 'collapsed' lifters, since they're hydraulic indeed. It's very hard to tell them apart: same rhythmic (and loud as heck) 'clak, clak, clak', but lifters 'pump up' rather quickly, whereas piston slap usually takes 10 to 20 seconds to go away, as piston(s) heat up and expand. The good news is neither one reportedly causes any damage, even in the long run. My F150 had piston slap, and Ford offered to rebuild my engine at no cost, but I refused since it happened just a few times a year.

My '06 LS2 GTO had that nasty noise twice when new (there were 4 clacks each time), but it didn't happen this winter, even though it was colder. And yes, these engines are legendary for piston slap, but I don't think mine has it due to the fact it doesn't go away (AFAIK). But I'd gladly trade 10 or 20 seconds of noise for the constant hot valve clatter of this engine. Heavier oil helped (5/40 vs 5/30, due to mild winters and brutal summers), but it's still there.
I can't stand engine noises either, but after listening a cold G37 sound very 'unflattering' as well, am getting used to them before I go nuts. Good luck.
JC
Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Ahujadaddy

baffles in the muffler gone bad. Remedy: New muffler

Are there any Axle-Back exhausts out there? Or just CAT-Back

Hmmm, *searches*
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Trader_J

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Sounds like one of 2 things: piston slap or 'collapsed' lifters, since they're hydraulic indeed. It's very hard to tell them apart: same rhythmic (and loud as heck) 'clak, clak, clak', but lifters 'pump up' rather quickly, whereas piston slap usually takes 10 to 20 seconds to go away, as piston(s) heat up and expand. The good news is neither one reportedly causes any damage, even in the long run. My F150 had piston slap, and Ford offered to rebuild my engine at no cost, but I refused since it happened just a few times a year.

My '06 LS2 GTO had that nasty noise twice when new (there were 4 clacks each time), but it didn't happen this winter, even though it was colder. And yes, these engines are legendary for piston slap, but I don't think mine has it due to the fact it doesn't go away (AFAIK). But I'd gladly trade 10 or 20 seconds of noise for the constant hot valve clatter of this engine. Heavier oil helped (5/40 vs 5/30, due to mild winters and brutal summers), but it's still there.
I can't stand engine noises either, but after listening a cold G37 sound very 'unflattering' as well, am getting used to them before I go nuts. Good luck.
JC
This is exactly what I'm thinking. It stops after 20 seconds at most once everything gets heated up and lubed. Just really annoying. People walking their dogs look over like WTF? I had my dealer tell me that most G37's do this on startup. It's a lease and under warranty, so what the hell. I'll live with it until it blows up or something.

I also had the muffler rattle issue and had it replaced. That took care of the tin can in a garbage disposal noise issue but not the cold startup noise.

Overall though, I'm still happy with my car. It's a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Cold start noise