Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Something underneath the rear section of car rattling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Something underneath the rear section of car rattling.

I have noticed early morning starts in my garage, that the car's mufflers or something in the rear under the car rattles pretty bad. Sounds like metal banging against metal. At first I thought it was my intakes but, a friend that was helping me listen said it was the under the rear of the car. Has anyone experienced this? When the car is warm, the rattle goes away. It's kind of annoying now since I park in my parking garage and the noise echoes.

I heard someone else had the same rattling noise issue and was wondering how the dealer fixed it.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:30 PM
bran1093

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. Usually just until the car warms up. Exactly the same thing man!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Ahujadaddy

Guys.... you're gonna love me.

I kno EXACTly what you are talking about... got my issue fixed. Did post about this in another thread... the thread about the chirping/pinging noise.

We can add this as another problem noise to the list.

You pretty much need a NEW MUFFLER. Plain and simple.
If its like mine... something has broken in the muffler (can't rmbr what he said it was, i'll hafta check... i think he said "bolster" ??).

They will put new muffler, and noise will be gone!

I'm going to get my 2nd replacement muffler soon, cuz the 1st replacment has a slightly bent chrome tip.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Ahujadaddy

Oh yea... good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
bran1093

Figured it was the muffler. Nice stuff man thanx! Ill tell the dealership when i go pick up my tags this week!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what it might be is, on the muffler in the back, there is a plate there..sorta like a wind deflector, it might be loose...2 or 3 10mm bolts...might save ya trouble..have someone start it and go back there, touch that part im talking bout and see if the noise goes away...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Ghost Light

Anyone getting a rattle on the passengers side of the car in the dash??

I can hear it when the car is cold in the morning once it watms up it is gone. I had the same thing with my Z and it turned out to be the air vent hitting the frame of the airbag inside the dash. Could it be the same designe as the Z?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Light
Anyone getting a rattle on the passengers side of the car in the dash??

I can hear it when the car is cold in the morning once it watms up it is gone. I had the same thing with my Z and it turned out to be the air vent hitting the frame of the airbag inside the dash. Could it be the same designe as the Z?
it might be the seat belt hitting the plastic side. i was having that issue till i moved the seat belt holder up and away. The only other rattle i get in the car is from the subs in the doors.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Ghost Light

I will try and move the seat belt but thats not what it sounds like to me. On the other hand I havnt heard the rattle when someone is in the passengers seat.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Light
I will try and move the seat belt but thats not what it sounds like to me. On the other hand I havnt heard the rattle when someone is in the passengers seat.
I had the same sound too. I thought it was the moonroof so I put my hand on the plastic and then the glass to see if that was what the sound was but the noise would continue. It would do it at random times but only when I was in motion. I got a little worried about it after reading some of the problems on this forum but yesterday it came to me that maybe it was the seatbelt on the passanger side. Moved it so it wasn't hitting the side of the car and no more noise.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM
bran1093

i checked again its def the muffler.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this problem too. Getting it into the dealer monday to fix the muffler.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:09 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So have you guys concluded that this problem is definitely the mufflers?

I am not going to the dealer to fix just one muffler, and then wait for the other muffler to do the same thing later. I would rather have both mufflers fixed at the same time.

Ahujadaddy - What dealer do you go to, Sheehy, Jim Coleman or Passport? Do you mind me using you as a reference so, they will not give me the run around trying to duplicate the noise. PM me please, Thanks!!!

Around lunch time today, I went to my car in the parking garage at work, started the car up and the noise was ridiculous. Just so happen my buddy (crap talker) with his 328i coupe was there with me to check out the LEDs I put on my car. Talk about embarrasing.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Ghost Light

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I had the same sound too. I thought it was the moonroof so I put my hand on the plastic and then the glass to see if that was what the sound was but the noise would continue. It would do it at random times but only when I was in motion. I got a little worried about it after reading some of the problems on this forum but yesterday it came to me that maybe it was the seatbelt on the passanger side. Moved it so it wasn't hitting the side of the car and no more noise.
If thats all it is great, only problem I have now is waiting for my car to get back from the body shop. they ordered the wrong part to replace. I kept telling them it is not a G35.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
ctc0503

Originally Posted by leeI35G35
So have you guys concluded that this problem is definitely the mufflers?

I am not going to the dealer to fix just one muffler, and then wait for the other muffler to do the same thing later. I would rather have both mufflers fixed at the same time.

Ahujadaddy - What dealer do you go to, Sheehy, Jim Coleman or Passport? Do you mind me using you as a reference so, they will not give me the run around trying to duplicate the noise. PM me please, Thanks!!!

Around lunch time today, I went to my car in the parking garage at work, started the car up and the noise was ridiculous. Just so happen my buddy (crap talker) with his 328i coupe was there with me to check out the LEDs I put on my car. Talk about embarrasing.

yo did you end up taking yours in? i have the SAME EXACT issue with my AB g in the morning when i start it up but it goes away after about 3 minutes of sitting idle. i bought mine at the fin of chantilly but live right around the corner from passport......

Quick Reply: Something underneath the rear section of car rattling.