Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37S 6MT shifter stick vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
DOHCtah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S 6MT shifter stick vibration?

Hey guys,

Not bagging on the G37 of anything (I simply love the car!), but when I test drove the 6MT, I noticed a crazy amount of shifter vibration. When at idle, you can totally see the stick vibrating like crazy, as well as when you have it in gear and take your hand off the shifter. You can also totally feel it too when your hand is on it. While it is not a huge problem, it just makes the luxurious interior look cheap to see the shifter bouncing around. Heck, even low-end Honda's don't vibrate at all!

I know this is a "problem" that the G35C used to have. Has there been a fix for this in the past?

Have you guys noticed the same in the G37s? Does it seem to bother you guys as much as it does me?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 PM
RoCkY86

I notice it to when the car was stop but not engaging it into a dfferent gear. G35 does it so does the 350z but the 350z vibrates to much. Im sure it has to do with the drivetrain. I also wonder does it have to do with the fact its rear wheel drive and you said Hondas dont do it maybe its beacuse its front wheel drive. not sure though
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it is more of an Infiniti problem. I read in some mag review that they supposedly fixed the 6MT issues though.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:33 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Who cares? You shift and then you take your hand off the shifter, its just vibration. Its no big deal, its just vibration. I like the vibration, I can feel the car through my hand.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
DOHCtah

^^ Have you actually seen it? I seriously love the car, but the vibration looks terribly cheap and out of place in such a nice interior.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM
evicid

I actually prefer vibration. I currently own a 6MT 350Z which definitely has a lot of vibration in the shifter. When I test drove the 6MT G35 sedan, I felt so disconnected from the car because it had no vibration at all. The vibration just makes me feel more connected to the engine somehow. I think since the G37 is a sports car (like the Z), they left in the vibration on purpose. The sedan version had 0 vibration, so I'm sure they could take it out if they wanted to.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 AM
MaximaPower

thought they said they fixed that problem...and mag testers said the same thing as well

i hope it doesn't vibrate too damn much
Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 AM
LudwigB

Originally Posted by evicid
they left in the vibration on purpose.
This is the funniest thing I've read about the G37.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:41 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the problem was vibration but the non-smooth, sticky shifting that the old G35 coupe had.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's like having your hand on the pulse of the car. A great deal of that sports car feeling is "connectedness" to the road and the car. I would miss the shift vibration. That vibration is like having your arm around your favorite girl. Hopefully, the G37 moves like a mature woman.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 AM
GoofyG

Originally Posted by RedHerring
It's like having your hand on the pulse of the car. A great deal of that sports car feeling is "connectedness" to the road and the car. I would miss the shift vibration. That vibration is like having your arm around your favorite girl. Hopefully, the G37 moves like a mature woman.
But not TOO mature!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM
08_G37

I found much less vibration with the shifter this time around. The engagement is so smooth it's silly. This shifter itself is also a little different shape, but I find it more comfortable than the G35.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
RedHerring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GoofyG, you are probably a youngster, at least compared to me. Let me assure you that mature women know how to move. I didn't say elderly.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Sweeet P

I just test drove a 6MT IP last night. I was looking forward to comparing it to the 07 Sedan. The engagement on the G37 is sooo much smoother and engagement is lower, unlike the Sedan which had a awkwardly high engagement...seemed like you knee was half way to your chest before you can feel the clutch engage. Made you feel like you were doing the "Heisman" pose! With the coupe, shifting through gears is very easy, no vibration that seems to be out of the norm.

Funny though...when I ended my test drive, the salesman had me drive it up a steep ramp to their parking structure...which I did. At the top, their lot was filled with cars. He told me "if you don't feel comfortable parking it, I'll take it from here." I was like "ok...you take over." So he gets in and stalls twice! heheheh.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:47 AM
MaDd

^i woulda followed that up with a swift kick to the nuts for such disrespect to the car!

Quick Reply: G37S 6MT shifter stick vibration?