Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37S 6MT shifter stick vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
My Grand Boss just got rid of his 545i due to continuous problems which had his car in the shop more than in his hands. The e46 M3s seem to have been built fairly well. Apart from the occasional engine blowing up, they have been reliable as far as I know. However, their build quality is not *amazing* -- my friend's e46 m3 convertible is a bucket of rattles and squeaks (most noisy car I've *ever* ridden in) and it is only five years old. I'll take my vibrating shifter and quiet, well assembled interior =)

Having a lot of electronics on a car is no excuse for it having problems, Infinitis and Lexuses (Lexi?) have plenty of electronics on them and generally do not experience issues.
thats not true at all. Almost all the early year LS460's where having major problems with their electronics especially the self parking system.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM
gundog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
do people not understand they are driving a nissan? your going to have issues like this. If you dont want them spend the extra money and get into a german car....
Toyotas, Hondas and to a lesser degree Nissans should be reliable, well-engineered cars; an issue like this is something I might expect from say Chrysler. While they won't match high-end German cars in numerous aspects, I would expect them to be superior in terms of quality control and reliability. So I'd have to agree with the respondent who mentioned the issues with German cars. I also don't disagree with the person who noted the reliability of the Porsche and BMW he has in his family, but 2-3 years is not a real great test - I'd be really disappointed to run into problems after such a short amount of time. It's 5-6 years and over 100 K miles that differences in durability and reliability should really show up. On a 3 year lease, a BMW should be fine, but I'm really nervous about buying one.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by gundog
Toyotas, Hondas and to a lesser degree Nissans should be reliable, well-engineered cars; an issue like this is something I might expect from say Chrysler. While they won't match high-end German cars in numerous aspects, I would expect them to be superior in terms of quality control and reliability. So I'd have to agree with the respondent who mentioned the issues with German cars. I also don't disagree with the person who noted the reliability of the Porsche and BMW he has in his family, but 2-3 years is not a real great test - I'd be really disappointed to run into problems after such a short amount of time. It's 5-6 years and over 100 K miles that differences in durability and reliability should really show up. On a 3 year lease, a BMW should be fine, but I'm really nervous about buying one.
i was the one who stated about the porsche and bmw. i dont have experience over 3 years on any of those cars because i have leased all my cars for 3 years. But i can state that I have had more problems with my honda S2000, 350z, and Evo over three years then i have had with both BMW's i have had over three years. i cant say anything about the infiniti as i have not had that three years. but if my nissan was anything to judge by i would say i should expect problems. Also all the japanese cars had the same shifter vibration issues as the g37....
Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 PM
carlo_amacio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also all the japanese cars had the same shifter vibration issues as the g37....
Thats pretty dumb to say
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by carlo_amacio
Thats pretty dumb to say
why would that be dumb? Its a fact all the japanese cars i have had all had the same shifter vibrations as the G is having. The S2000 did it, the 350 did it and also the evo. I dont see how stating facts is dumb.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM
carlo_amacio

why would that be dumb? Its a fact all the japanese cars i have had all had the same shifter vibrations as the G is having. The S2000 did it, the 350 did it and also the evo. I dont see how stating facts is dumb.
My 2006 SI doesnt have it. My dads 2007 S2000 doesnt have it. My neighbors RSX-S and my Co-workers IS300 doesnt have it. Basically what im saying is your generalizing and Im pretty sure you havent driven ALL of the japanese cars out there From what I know only Nissan and Infinity have this problem, and i do admit my 2004 350z had this problem
Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
UNV-IT46

[QUOTE=carlo_amacio;2230469]My 2006 SI doesnt have it. My dads 2007 S2000 doesnt have it. My neighbors RSX-S and my Co-workers IS300 doesnt have it. Basically what im saying is your generalizing and Im pretty sure you havent driven ALL of the japanese cars out there From what I know only Nissan and Infinity have this problem, and i do admit my 2004 350z had this problem[/QU

first off i didnt say all japanese cars have this problem. I said all the japanese cars I had had this problem. Its funny the cars you mention my neighboor has a 2007 Si and the first thing he complained about was how much his shifter vibrated, my dads paralegal has a 06 rsx non S and her's does the same thing also. She had me look at it because she thought there was something wrong with it. And one of my guys at my shop has an 03 is300 and his did the same thing also until we installed a sequential shifter. As far as the 07 S2000 i cant say anything because i have not driven one nor had one at my shop yet. But my 02 did it and every year up to 06 i have driven and they have all done the same thing.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
mal_TX

[QUOTE=UNV-IT46;2230483]
My 2006 SI doesnt have it. My dads 2007 S2000 doesnt have it. My neighbors RSX-S and my Co-workers IS300 doesnt have it. Basically what im saying is your generalizing and Im pretty sure you havent driven ALL of the japanese cars out there From what I know only Nissan and Infinity have this problem, and i do admit my 2004 350z had this problem[/QU

first off i didnt say all japanese cars have this problem. I said all the japanese cars I had had this problem. Its funny the cars you mention my neighboor has a 2007 Si and the first thing he complained about was how much his shifter vibrated, my dads paralegal has a 06 rsx non S and her's does the same thing also. She had me look at it because she thought there was something wrong with it. And one of my guys at my shop has an 03 is300 and his did the same thing also until we installed a sequential shifter. As far as the 07 S2000 i cant say anything because i have not driven one nor had one at my shop yet. But my 02 did it and every year up to 06 i have driven and they have all done the same thing.

WTF a Civic Si with a vibrating shifter? That's a cable shift FWD transmission. What's making the shifter vibrate? Same goes for the RSX.

Inlines run smoother than V's. If the shifter is mechanical linkage, it will vibrate in sync with the engine. This should hold true for all front engine/rear-drive cars. The VQ is especially rougher than your typical inline in terms of idle. This is what makes most of your BMWs and your S2000s have less vibrating shifters.

IMO, Heavy duty transmission + rougher engine + direct linkage stick = vibrating stick
Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 PM
carlo_amacio

Also all the japanese cars had the same shifter vibration issues as the g37....
first off i didnt say all japanese cars have this problem. I said all the japanese cars I had had this problem.
What??
Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM
UNV-IT46

What??
its real easy to cut one sentence out of my whole post and say oh oh look you meant this... why not post the whole post. here i will save you time and do it for you

"was the one who stated about the porsche and bmw. i dont have experience over 3 years on any of those cars because i have leased all my cars for 3 years. But i can state that I have had more problems with my honda S2000, 350z, and Evo over three years then i have had with both BMW's i have had over three years. i cant say anything about the infiniti as i have not had that three years. but if my nissan was anything to judge by i would say i should expect problems. Also all the japanese cars had the same shifter vibration issues as the g37...."

Once again i never said ALL JAPANESE CARS HAVE THIS ISSUE... If you know how to read its pretty clear i was talking about the cars in my post which i have owned....
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
carlo_amacio

ok not really worth arguing over

Last edited by carlo_amacio; 10-10-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, I don't know about the rest of you but I have reached 1700 miles on my G37S 6MT. I had a lot of vibrations in the first few hundred miles and as time and miles built up, the vibration has seem to go away more and more. Just the other day I was at a light in neutral and I could have sworn that I thought the car was off. My shifter was still. I

I think with the improved shifter for the 08s, the vibrations will minimize as the miles+engine+transmission breaks-in.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:49 PM
mal_TX

I think most of it is you getting used to it.

Some of it might be engine running smoother. I think it is what it is -- the shifter is hard connected to the engine via the tranny.. it will shake if the engine is shaking and not shake if the engine is not shaking. That will vary day-to-day, car-by-car.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mal_TX
I think most of it is you getting used to it.

Some of it might be engine running smoother. I think it is what it is -- the shifter is hard connected to the engine via the tranny.. it will shake if the engine is shaking and not shake if the engine is not shaking. That will vary day-to-day, car-by-car.
Probably so, or maybe my day-to-day city driving has broken in my tranny. I do hell of alot of city driving (stop and go) and very little beltway driving in MD-DC-VA. I drive 12 miles to work through back roads with a lot of stop lights and stop signs. I have had the car for 3 months now and I drive everyday.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
sharif@forged
Former Sponsor

My shifter has always had a slight vibration to it. So does my 350Z, so I am not too concerned with it.