ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 11:14 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Methanol Injection

Morning Everyone,

I have the stillen SC kit w/ the garbage water cooler, I upgraded to a frozen boost but as it expected it did little to nothing to help. In the summer I'm getting 160+ IATs after a few pulls, etc.

I had a lot of stupid **** come up along the way that I've had to redo over or be overly complex with that have cost me a lot of my budget and an A2A conversion is not in my cards right now. I was going to run E85 but I lost a station by me and the only other one is almost an hour away now. So I'm turning to Meth lol. Someone else by me has a 370 w/ a similar setup on meth and has had good results.

I have some concerns about how this works and I can't really seem to find a good answer. I would like to take advantage of the timing you can get with meth but I want to do it safely and it seems all the flow monitors available for creating a failsafe are awful and either dont work or they're not meant for methanol and fail prematurely... like within months of installing.

I'm trying to understand the capabilities of this so I can have more productive discussions with my tuner about it. The mere advantage of air charge cooling is more than significant in my case, but I'm reading that depending on flow rate and methanol ratio, it could raise octane up to 116. How do you take advantage of the colder air charge without adjusting for the change in octane? In my thought process the ECU would be constantly making some crazy live adjustments to accommodate for a change in octane like that. Is there a threshold that you could take advantage of the extra timing without having flow failure be a concern for detonation?
Old 04-19-2021, 11:53 PM
Broken_2008_G37
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
Morning Everyone,

I have the stillen SC kit w/ the garbage water cooler, I upgraded to a frozen boost but as it expected it did little to nothing to help. In the summer I'm getting 160+ IATs after a few pulls, etc.

I had a lot of stupid **** come up along the way that I've had to redo over or be overly complex with that have cost me a lot of my budget and an A2A conversion is not in my cards right now. I was going to run E85 but I lost a station by me and the only other one is almost an hour away now. So I'm turning to Meth lol. Someone else by me has a 370 w/ a similar setup on meth and has had good results.

I have some concerns about how this works and I can't really seem to find a good answer. I would like to take advantage of the timing you can get with meth but I want to do it safely and it seems all the flow monitors available for creating a failsafe are awful and either dont work or they're not meant for methanol and fail prematurely... like within months of installing.

I'm trying to understand the capabilities of this so I can have more productive discussions with my tuner about it. The mere advantage of air charge cooling is more than significant in my case, but I'm reading that depending on flow rate and methanol ratio, it could raise octane up to 116. How do you take advantage of the colder air charge without adjusting for the change in octane? In my thought process the ECU would be constantly making some crazy live adjustments to accommodate for a change in octane like that. Is there a threshold that you could take advantage of the extra timing without having flow failure be a concern for detonation?
When I had methanol on my EVO i went with the Snow performance stage 2 kit "with" the snow performance failsafe. I had no problems/issues with it. I loved it and if I didnt have a million e85 stations near me I would do it again.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:00 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Broken_2008_G37
When I had methanol on my EVO i went with the Snow performance stage 2 kit "with" the snow performance failsafe. I had no problems/issues with it. I loved it and if I didnt have a million e85 stations near me I would do it again.
Awesome! That's the same kit I got, although I think it's a "2.5"? It uses a gauge with a digital controller built in, instead of the manual controller with the *****. They no longer offer the failsafe but the gauge is supposed to be able to sense a leak or pump failure on it's own by monitoring the voltage and draw somehow and then flash a warning. I'm a bit skeptical so I'm going to tune it more for cooling than pushing the timing to it's absolute max. I put the nozzle a bit farther back on the charge pipe away from the TB's hoping that would help it evaporate more before it gets to combustion. Installed it along side custom radium surge tank system