ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

My personal experience with both Uprev and EcuTek Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I think it's going to come down to the map options (Uprev) vs. more refined tune (EcuTek) for me. Let the headache games begin. Cost really isn't the issue, its versatility against performance. Jesus...... I was sold on Uprev too.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM
ClickClackSmack

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
If you are looking for versatility with maps then UpRev has the upper hand at the moment. However, if you're not in a rush my EcuTek tuner told me an update with some different map options is due out in a month or so.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by ClickClackSmack
If you are looking for versatility with maps then UpRev has the upper hand at the moment. However, if you're not in a rush my EcuTek tuner told me an update with some different map options is due out in a month or so.
Thats what I was told by the guys down in Miami at Dynamic Turbo. I just wonder if it will let you change maps on the fly like Uprev or if the car needs to be in park or somesuch non-sense. I was told the EcuTek map options will not be ready for a few months though. I'm not good at the waiting game, I always lose.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
anyone know of a shop in the scramento,ca area ? found two uprev shops in the bay area.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Visconti

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm the one who tuned the car, if you have any questions please let me know!

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Thats what I was told by the guys down in Miami at Dynamic Turbo. I just wonder if it will let you change maps on the fly like Uprev or if the car needs to be in park or somesuch non-sense. I was told the EcuTek map options will not be ready for a few months though. I'm not good at the waiting game, I always lose.
Back in June EcuTek dealers (me) were promising advanced EcuTek features and they've just taken longer to get done with all the other projects going on.

Right now EcuTek has most of the stuff done.

-Map Switching
-MAP Sensor Scaling
-Injector Scaling
-Extended Engine Load (for High HP Cars)
-VE Based SD
-Custom Maps
--ecu boost control
--Boost limiter
--flex fuel
--traction control

To name a few

Map Switching can defiantly be done on-the-fly on the manual cars, not sure on the auto cars just yet..
The following 4 users liked this post by Visconti:
Mik3G37S (01-26-2014), RexHavoc (01-19-2014), warpeacelove (01-19-2014), warped ideas (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

More info to chew, swallow, and digest! Thanks
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Visconti, can you please explain to us how someone would see better hp gains and firmer shifts with ECUTek over UpRev. This seems more of a matter of a tuner rather than a tuning tool.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
Ecu tek is made for real racing.
Ecu tek in UK is huge, & I can see why.
Drum and Bass is also large in the UK doesn't mean it doesn't sound like ****

Everytime there's a thread about ECUTek, you jump in and make misleading posts like these that add zero value to the discussion. Never did you post any comparison or solid data vs UpRev.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:51 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Drum and Bass is also large in the UK doesn't mean it doesn't sound like ****

Everytime there's a thread about ECUTek, you jump in and make misleading posts like these that add zero value to the discussion. Never did you post any comparison or solid data vs UpRev.
It sounds like you have personal knowledge on these platforms. I'm in need of some educated info on this subject. The only stuff I have to go by are what others have had done to the cars they drive, or what tuner shops say. Any help in this would be useful for me. From the looks of your car Sam, you know the ins and outs of these issues.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Visconti

Visconti, can you please explain to us how someone would see better hp gains and firmer shifts with ECUTek over UpRev. This seems more of a matter of a tuner rather than a tuning tool.
The smoothness of the shifting has to do more with the tuner than the tool.

HP gains and consistency is the tool

Other tuning solutions do not have complete control over of ignition maps on the factory ecu. Yes the other software has a few ignition maps but lacks all of them + the details of actually making the car do what you want everytime you hit the gas.

These cars have super crazy timing strategies ( yes more than one) that dynamically add and remove ignition timing based on a few things. EcuTek took what it learned on the much harder to tune GTR and put it to use on the 370/G37. Meaning we have a very simple ignition map to change ignition timing, no calculated burn time maps. I type in what I want and the car does it. EcuTek is able to do this while keeping all the factory knock control in place. Additionally they have a ton of advanced datalogging parameters , one allows you to log how much timing the car would be running if you allowed it to run the factory ignition timing strategy. It's light years ahead of the competition.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions

John
The following 2 users liked this post by Visconti:
conkus805 (01-20-2014), DJE44 (03-01-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 03:47 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by Visconti
The smoothness of the shifting has to do more with the tuner than the tool.

HP gains and consistency is the tool

Other tuning solutions do not have complete control over of ignition maps on the factory ecu. Yes the other software has a few ignition maps but lacks all of them + the details of actually making the car do what you want everytime you hit the gas.

These cars have super crazy timing strategies ( yes more than one) that dynamically add and remove ignition timing based on a few things. EcuTek took what it learned on the much harder to tune GTR and put it to use on the 370/G37. Meaning we have a very simple ignition map to change ignition timing, no calculated burn time maps. I type in what I want and the car does it. EcuTek is able to do this while keeping all the factory knock control in place. Additionally they have a ton of advanced datalogging parameters , one allows you to log how much timing the car would be running if you allowed it to run the factory ignition timing strategy. It's light years ahead of the competition.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions

John
Thanks for the valuable info John. I'm just curious though, GTM has been successfully able to use UpRev to tune unopened boosted VQ37's on 91 octane fuel and make decent power! I don't see how they can achieve that without proper ignition control, especially when at CR's that high it can come down to a degree of ignition advance to melt a piston or bend a rod.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Visconti

Thanks for the valuable info John. I'm just curious though, GTM has been successfully able to use UpRev to tune unopened boosted VQ37's on 91 octane fuel and make decent power! I don't see how they can achieve that without proper ignition control, especially when at CR's that high it can come down to a degree of ignition advance to melt a piston or bend a rod.
Making power and making consistent power are two different things.
The following users liked this post:
warpeacelove (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
ECUTEK HERE I COME. All good things comes to an end (UPREV).

Last edited by G37Sam; 01-19-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: No need to quote first post
Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by Visconti
Making power and making consistent power are two different things.
So you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong please) UpRev can be used to put down as much power as an ECUTek, it's just that the power will drop after a few runs due to the ECU's dynamic timing strategies? Whereas in an ECUTek tune you'll put down the same numbers all day everyday?

So theoretically speaking, one run vs one run, there shouldn't be any power difference?
Old 01-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Visconti

So you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong please) UpRev can be used to put down as much power as an ECUTek, it's just that the power will drop after a few runs due to the ECU's dynamic timing strategies? Whereas in an ECUTek tune you'll put down the same numbers all day everyday? So theoretically speaking, one run vs one run, there shouldn't be any power difference?
I've said the same thing over and over here and in other threads.

It's really as simple as I state it, you can choose to believe it or not. This past week I've provided additional evidence via data. The future of 370Z/G37 tuning is finally here and working great

John

Quick Reply: My personal experience with both Uprev and EcuTek Tunes