ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

Do I need a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 PM
nycty

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do I need a Tune?

Hey guys, Ive recently installed an Ark CBE and R2C Intakes on my 11' Sedan(Sounds AMAZIIIINNNG ). It seems alot of people on the forums get an uprev tune after they get there bolt-ons. I don't plan on getting a HFC anytime soon, it is already loud enough for me and i don't want the extra drone that some people are talking about with the HFC. The exhaust itself has somewhat of a drone already around 1300-2000 rpm but not much after that and hopefully after break-in, the drone will mellow away a bit more. My question is, is it absolutely necessary to get a Tune, will my A/F ratio and other stuff be ok without a tune with the new bolt-ons installed? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
HFC aren't just for sound. the cats are the biggest loss for our N/A car. if you're happy with the way it sounds and runs, i would hold off on the tune until you're ready to get HFC. that way you're not spending the money twice.

that's what i would do anyway.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No, it's not absolutely necessary to get the tune but it does help maximize the gains from your bolt ons. The Uprev tune runs around $550 so be sure you're completely done with your mods before getting it.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
BKG37X

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R2C intakes sound amazing, but you will not gain any hp from them, you might even lose 1 or 2. Only gains I got were from my Berk hfc, although the Ark CBE might help a bit.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake and exhaust are purely horsepower for your ears.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 PM
nycty

hahas my butt dyno is telling me the car feels a bit more responsive during mid-high rpm range. I was contemplating on the HFC because someone told me it would make my exhaust drone a bit more, is this true?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by nycty
hahas my butt dyno is telling me the car feels a bit more responsive during mid-high rpm range. I was contemplating on the HFC because someone told me it would make my exhaust drone a bit more, is this true?
Depends on what exhaust yu go with and what HFC you choose. Idk if this is coincidence, but people that mix and match brands are getting drone and hiss.

Again....depends on what you go with.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 AM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the same exact mods on an 09 awd sedan. Was in the same boat as you about a tune and HFCs, actually was 100% sure that i didn't want HFCs. Berks sound a little raspy with ark. Spoke with Tony at Fast Intentions about HFCs and he couldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be any drone or rasp, but he recommended resonated HFCs. Ended up going with 2.25" piping for resonated HFCs and it sounds absolutely amazing. Tone got deeper, there's less drone and although the car's probably a little bit louder, the drone is reduced so significantly that that's the only thing you'll notice. I'll upload videos at some point, but definitely worth looking into. According to the butt dyno, car pulls a bit better at mid range too.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am in the same boat too. I am going to be installing my 2.5" exhaust depot y pipe and my 2.5" HFC from fast intentions next week. I will be holding off on a tune till about June if possible. I am hoping that i wont need the tune right away. I can't see it being necessary with just these exhaust modifications though.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM
nycty

Originally Posted by sammy917
Have the same exact mods on an 09 awd sedan. Was in the same boat as you about a tune and HFCs, actually was 100% sure that i didn't want HFCs. Berks sound a little raspy with ark. Spoke with Tony at Fast Intentions about HFCs and he couldn't guarantee that there wouldn't be any drone or rasp, but he recommended resonated HFCs. Ended up going with 2.25" piping for resonated HFCs and it sounds absolutely amazing. Tone got deeper, there's less drone and although the car's probably a little bit louder, the drone is reduced so significantly that that's the only thing you'll notice. I'll upload videos at some point, but definitely worth looking into. According to the butt dyno, car pulls a bit better at mid range too.

Yes, i also heard about the drone and hissing from the Berk and Ark combo, whats the difference between resonated and non-resonated HFC? For the resonated HFC which brand did you go with? I know berks has the part that is a little longer then usual for the sensors to stop it from throwing CEL's, does the resonated HFC have the same?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
nycty

Originally Posted by DeepRumble
I am in the same boat too. I am going to be installing my 2.5" exhaust depot y pipe and my 2.5" HFC from fast intentions next week. I will be holding off on a tune till about June if possible. I am hoping that i wont need the tune right away. I can't see it being necessary with just these exhaust modifications though.
Its gonna sound BEAST!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
DeepRumble

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its gonna sound BEAST!
I hope so. All the parts should be installed by the 14th!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 AM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, i also heard about the drone and hissing from the Berk and Ark combo, whats the difference between resonated and non-resonated HFC? For the resonated HFC which brand did you go with? I know berks has the part that is a little longer then usual for the sensors to stop it from throwing CEL's, does the resonated HFC have the same?
not sure who, if anyone, else makes em. tony at fast intentions did them for me. and a high flow cat is part cat and part just regular piping. a resonated high flow cat puts a resonator where the regular piping is making the setup quieter. I don't think berk offers this option. Check out Fast Intentions website under the coupe exhaust options for the resonated cat.