ECU Tuning / Dyno Data This subforum is specifically aimed at ECU Tuning reviews, questions, dyno charts, etc..

The Truth about tuners/piggybacks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM
marcopolo15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Truth about tuners/piggybacks.

Hey everyone, so I have been researching on the internet for days about tuners/piggybacks for my car! (2008 G37S 6MT) I have come up with 4 tuners:
1. Hypertech
2. Bully dog
3. Up-Rev
4. Cobb.

Now I cant seem to find which one is going to be best! When I go to look up Bully Dogs two come up:

This one is off of the actually Bullydog web. Now its different from the other one and does not give me any specs/dynos. It leads me to believe that it is just a universal tune.
WatchDog<sup>TM</sup> Multi-function Performance Gauge

Now this on is from a dealer for bullydog and offers great increases. But the stock Hp/TQ they post is no correct. Its also a completely different tuner.
Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Programmer Infiniti G37 Tuner Downloader

I went to Cobb's web site and there is no physical tuner/programmer for sale for my car. Just some software, but its listed at $0 ????

Next I went to Up-Rev...I was looking at the orius and it seems great! but do you have to pay for tunes? and how does it work?

Last...the Hypertech....I looked into these for my truck back in the day and they looked great! But seem to have little in increase.

I just want to know what everyone else out there is using and if they think its working/worth it!

Thanks all!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Dont get bully dog. Cobb unit is disscontinued so you can only find used units. The Hypertech overall a great unit but yes HP increase is minimal but will make your G run smoother. The uprev is a custom tune so yes will be most expensive but will give you the most gains. I personally went with hypertech. Plus if you have an aftermarket intake you cant use the cobb unit.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Correct. Cobb discontinued the tuning "program." UpRev is honestly the only integrated system that you should go with. Hypertech - members have reported loss in power; it's just an off-the-shelf piece of junk.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
marcopolo15

Thanks so much for the reply!! and ok..soo that explains sooo much! So I could go with the uprev! sweet! now with the uprev do I tune it my self? or need a dyno?

Thanks again!!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
marcopolo15

Also I was just looking and I think I would get the standard package...but I have the intake now...if I choose to purchase the tuner...then in the future do engine mods do I update it or have to buy another one?
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM
lilenday

i gained 17wtq with uprev tune. so i definetly recommend saving up and getting intake test pipe and catback and do uprev tune. its worth it
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
SpeedBump

Was 17wtq for just the tune, or the tune + intake + test pipe + exhaust?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Lukesky

That's a pretty good gain. I'm planning on the UpRev as well.. however living in Alberta, Canada there aren't many shops with the software.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
AustinG35

+1 on UpRev Osiris tune. My specifications are G35 specific, I have an '04 G35, the Osiris tune alone gave me a 7HP increase. With the intake and exhaust bolt-ons + tune = 50HP increase over stock. Not too shabby at all. UpRev will be quick to point out that no 2 cars will ever tune identically, besides engine mileage, wear and tear, etc, there are several factors that make it impossible to get the same tune on 2 different cars even with the same bolt-ons.

You will pay for the initial tune plus dyno time (~$575 including 3 dyno runs) and you get up to 5 maps incuded.
For any subsequent bolt-ons added after the initial tune, you only pay for the dyno time to add the new item to your existing tune, so you aren't dropping another ~$575 again.

Good luck with your tune option. Post numbers up when you get your tune.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Hypertech

Originally Posted by AustinG35
+1 on UpRev Osiris tune. My specifications are G35 specific, I have an '04 G35, the Osiris tune alone gave me a 7HP increase. With the intake and exhaust bolt-ons + tune = 50HP increase over stock. Not too shabby at all. UpRev will be quick to point out that no 2 cars will ever tune identically, besides engine mileage, wear and tear, etc, there are several factors that make it impossible to get the same tune on 2 different cars even with the same bolt-ons.

You will pay for the initial tune plus dyno time (~$575 including 3 dyno runs) and you get up to 5 maps incuded.
For any subsequent bolt-ons added after the initial tune, you only pay for the dyno time to add the new item to your existing tune, so you aren't dropping another ~$575 again.

Good luck with your tune option. Post numbers up when you get your tune.

Please post the dyno charts those are great gains.
What was the stock rear wheel horse on the dyno and what RPM showed a 50 horse increase?

eksigned,
"Hypertech - members have reported loss in power; it's just an off-the-shelf piece of junk."

I could not find these threads using the search menu. Can you post some links ?

Last edited by Hypertech; 01-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypertech
What was the stock rear wheel horse on the dyno and what RPM showed a 50 horse increase?

eksigned,
"Hypertech - members have reported loss in power; it's just an off-the-shelf piece of junk."

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...37s-dynos.html
Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM
anomalocaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Then of course there are two sides to every story....

Post #6: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...st-got-it.html

Post #48: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...amplified.html

Post #1: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...k-and-boy.html

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
AustinG35

Originally Posted by Hypertech

eksigned,

Admittently, I do not have stock dyno numbers for the same car, so I am basing stock whp of other '04 G35 coupes ('04 coupes are advertised at 280hp/270ft lbs torque, average dyno numbers: 225-228whp/212-218ft lbs torque.)
Dyno numbers including all bolt-ons plus Osiris tune: 270whp/249.7ft lbs torque.
Without tune but with all bolt-ons, it was 263.44whp/243.87ft lbs torque.

Bolt-ons:
K&N Typhoon CAI
Motordyne 5/16" isothermal spacer
Motordyne MREV2 lower collector
Berk HFCs
Borla dual catback exhaust
Attached Thumbnails The Truth about tuners/piggybacks.-uprev-dyno-chart.jpg  

Last edited by AustinG35; 01-16-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For a Nissan/Infiniti. Osiris Up-Rev. Period.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
For a Nissan/Infiniti. Osiris Up-Rev. Period.
What he said /thread

Quick Reply: The Truth about tuners/piggybacks.