Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Coolerworx Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 05:15 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 168 Likes on 110 Posts
Small update to this review.

Coolerworx released a bulb/lightbulb style shift kn0b that works with their existing Z/G shifters. I went ahead and grabbed one to try, since the included one isn’t too comfortable for my larger hands.

Ordered directly from Coolerworx, showed up less than a week later from Lithuania. Great turnaround for an international order. Upon arrival, it came in a nice little Coolerworx box with some stickers, but I immediately noticed there was no adapter hardware of any kind included in the box. I was hoping it wouldn’t need anything since it just threads over the shifter like the included kn0b did (the included one just has an additional M6 bolt threaded through the top).

Sadly, the bulb-style kn0b sat too low when threaded directly onto the shifter - it essentially sat directly on the reverse collar, so no reverse. It needed to be pushed up a little to allow the reverse collar to move up and down enough to engage. Since the new bulb kn0b used the outer threads on the lever, I tried using the included M6 bolt in the center/top hole on the lever (same as the original setup), but it sat too high and could get stuck in reverse, even with adjusting lockout. I found a spare 10mm long M6 bolt I had laying around and threaded that in to try- it was better with a 6mm head height, but not close enough. Measured it out and it needed to be about 5mm further up. So I grabbed a 20mm titanium M6 bolt from Amazon, and a pack of nylon 5mm long (11mm diameter) spacers. The spacers had to be 11mm or less in diameter to allow room for the threads on the lever, for the kn0b to thread over it still. I chose nylon instead of using metal spacers/washers to help with NVH in the shifter.

It fits like a glove now, and no annoying rattles. The bulb style is much more comfortable for me personally, and can easily still be held pistol-grip style like the original, if wanted. It has a slightly heavier feel to it also, which I appreciate.

Coolerworx Bulb-Style Kn0b adapter:
+M6 bolt (15-25mm length)
+5mm spacer (diameter must be 11mm or less)

Absolutely still love this shifter. Will be trying out the pro version soon enough. Pictures below of the adapter and new style kn0b.

Last edited by goldbug; 07-20-2024 at 07:40 PM.