Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Z1 rear differential and subframe bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:35 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
What do you need to know about them? I had both done, but I had a mechanic do it.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:40 PM
Oakenfire
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm just curious which is better the Z1 solids or a rear subframe bushing kit from whiteline. I like the firmness and durability you could expect from solid metal, but I'm curious about how much vibration etc there may be that some other users have mentioned.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:16 PM
Oakenfire
Registered Member

I've also come across some situations where people will get the whiteline poly bushings which are cheaper than the z1 alum, and then get z1 subframe collars? I assume this is to avoid taking off the subframe and saving yourself time(or labor costs)? I don't know enough to decide on this.

To be honest I'm leaning towards the solid alum ones but have yet to track down just how much NVH this might add. I've heard everything from not noticeable to OMG I CANT HEAR ANYTHING ELSE, so we'll see. I hope to make a purchase in the next couple days here.

Last edited by Oakenfire; 05-14-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:29 PM
ZontheRocks
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have only the subframe collars in on a stock diff bushing. The subframe collars increased rear end stiffness for sure. I can assume that fully solid bushings would feel even more stiff.

The labor of installing a diff bushing and subframe collars vs dropping the subframe and replacing all bushings is significantly different.
The following users liked this post:
Oakenfire (05-19-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Oakenfire
Registered Member

Yeah but my rear subframe bushings are cracked so they absolutely need to be replaced if I want the collars around them correct? Throwing on the whiteline ones or some others would just result in me breaking them again probably down the road. So if I want oem subframe bushings, then dropping the subframe is a must?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Dentt42
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakenfire
Yeah but my rear subframe bushings are cracked so they absolutely need to be replaced if I want the collars around them correct? Throwing on the whiteline ones or some others would just result in me breaking them again probably down the road. So if I want oem subframe bushings, then dropping the subframe is a must?
I highly doubt that Whiteline bushings would be nearly as close to failure as the OEM anywhere on the car, much less the subframe. The stock bushing design and material allow for a decent amount of movement, which is going to accelerate wear over urethane pieces like Whiteline or any other performance replacement.

Also, if you wanted OEM subframe bushings, it requires completely replacing the subframe with a good used one or very expensive new one from Infiniti. My personal plan as of now is to buy a used one, take the time to burn, press, cut, etc the old bushings out and install good ones from Whiteline or SPL, then swap the assemblies over. The idea is less downtime on the car, and no panicking if I run into a snag removing and installing the bushings.
The following users liked this post:
ZontheRocks (05-19-2020)