Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 06:11 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
I have the ARK exhaust but I wouldn't call it loud unless I'm abusing my gas mileage with the windows down.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:57 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
i have just the tanabe and the trans mount (until I work up the courage to have a shop do my Berk HFCs in my trunk) and I think it's excellent. aside from the newfound rattle that gives me nightmares...... But I'm also wondering if I'm just hearing more because I have my entire dash / gearbox area ripped out as I work my next mod myself..... hadn't really thought about that until last night as I was mocking up the template for my carbon piece....... oops.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Completely agree with this. If you have an OEM catback (or a Tanabe axle-back), I would not recommend replacing the transmission mount. Pretty sure people wouldn't like the NVH unless they were already used to it because of a loud exhaust.

Super curious what this would be like on the 7AT Journey.
Perhaps this is why I said I felt like the increase in sound was so significant (I have Tanabe mufflers). Now I'm wondering if I should get louder mufflers and do away with the mount. I do like it, but it's ALWAYS loud. With an exhaust, at freeway/cruise speeds, you can still enjoy a peaceful ride.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
Perhaps this is why I said I felt like the increase in sound was so significant (I have Tanabe mufflers). Now I'm wondering if I should get louder mufflers and do away with the mount. I do like it, but it's ALWAYS loud. With an exhaust, at freeway/cruise speeds, you can still enjoy a peaceful ride.
OEM cats, OEM resonators, and a Tanabe axle-back? Yeah, that's probably why the change was so dramatic for you, Furlow. My advice: give it time, enjoy the mod over the summer. If you feel discontent down the road, swap the OEM mount back in.

Or... wait and see what Liam has to say tomorrow about this British mount.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Furlow

OEM cats, OEM resonators, and a Tanabe axle-back? Yeah, that's probably why the change was so dramatic for you, Furlow. My advice: give it time, enjoy the mod over the summer. If you feel discontent down the road, swap the OEM mount back in.

Or... wait and see what Liam has to say tomorrow about this British mount.
OEM cats, 2.5" piping and custom resonators back to the Tanabe mufflers. When I had just the Tanabe's, it was whisper quiet. The piping helped it tremendously. But still a very mild exhaust set up.

I'm curious about this other mount, as well.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The 2.5" pipes... custom? Interesting setup you got there. Sorry man, it's hard to remember what configuration all the regulars here have. Shame you're way out in CA and won't be at the August meet-up. Events like that are a great opportunity to compare things first-hand.

Oh hey... the video loads again! That's weird. Denied yesterday, available today.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Furlow

Yes custom from a shop here in SD. I wanted to do Tanabe all the way back, but sedan... So instead of getting rid of the Tanabe's and starting over, I went with custom piping. That made a big difference, and it sounds good at WOT. But SO mellow otherwise, and not much "feel." It would be nice if this mount wasn't so apparent at cruise/freeway speeds, but it's really THERE all the time.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
Yes custom from a shop here in SD. I wanted to do Tanabe all the way back, but sedan... So instead of getting rid of the Tanabe's and starting over, I went with custom piping. That made a big difference, and it sounds good at WOT. But SO mellow otherwise, and not much "feel." It would be nice if this mount wasn't so apparent at cruise/freeway speeds, but it's really THERE all the time.
That's not how I would describe it on my car. It's noticeable at idle and climbing up the lower gears, but at cruise/freeway speeds I'm just not aware of it.

It's all so subjective, and becoming more normal with every passing day. I swear, lately I've been wondering what all the fuss was about two weeks ago. Similarly, when you had this installed a few days ago you seemed head-over-heels about it. But instead of becoming the new normal, now you're having second thoughts.

There really is no right or wrong... it's a personal thing. I hope you figure out where you want to be with this mod, Furlow.

And tomorrow we're going to hear from Liam about his Vibra-Technics. I wonder what he's going to say?

Last edited by Rochester; 05-23-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
I just drove 50 miles from the shop to work in a good mixture of stop and go and Highway driving and here are my initial thoughts.

NVH
Zero perceptible increase in vibration or harshness. Seriously, I don't feel anything different. If there is any added vibration I probably don't notice it because I'm preoccupied with the new sound. Speaking of which...

There is a very noticeable increase in noise, but in a good way. There's now a definite growl from the car when you step on the throttle. Like Rochester said in his review, the car sounds beastly. However, this growl is constant and it's volume is in direct relation to throttle position. Floor it and the car gives a loud roar. Cruise at highway speeds with moderate throttle and the car provides a constant, throbbing growl. Time will tell if I get sick of this constant growl or if I continue to love it as I do right now.

Performance
This topic will have to be re-visited as I'm still in the break-in period of my southbend stage 2 clutch, so I can't really push the car yet. Initial thoughts are that the car feels more solid and shifts feel crisper, but this could just be a placebo effect.

Will report back...
The following 3 users liked this post by PG-v36_6MT:
Furlow (05-24-2016), Lego_Maniac (05-24-2016), Rochester (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

So... based entirely on hearsay, and with respect to NVH, would you think this hard-rubber mount from Vibra-Technics is a middle-ground choice between OEM and Z1? I've been suspecting where the three would compare on that scale. Really difficult thing to say, because all we have to go by is somebody else's opinion of one mount compared to OEM.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:33 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
If we're strictly talking NVH, then yes, absolutely this falls between OEM and and Z1 mount. The natural rubber and/or synthetic rubber composition of the VT mount is doing its job of isolating vibration, but the stiffer construction than OEM is transmitting more noise between the engine/transmission and chassis.

Does that assessment seem reasonable?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Does that assessment seem reasonable?
It certainly does. Another way to look at it is this: you just swapped out a 9 year old transmission mount for a brand new one. IDK how that comes into play (no pun).

Either way, I think you just pushed Lego over the fence.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts

Either way, I think you just pushed Lego over the fence.
I was already over the fence

Now I just have to decide how to fund this since I already spent most of my June allowance and it isn't even June
Old 05-24-2016, 02:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Unless the manual and auto trans use the same isolator, this is a non-start for autos. Discountinfinitiparts.com isn't the easiest to navigate.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Unless the manual and auto trans use the same isolator, this is a non-start for autos. Discountinfinitiparts.com isn't the easiest to navigate.
Pretty sure this mount is the same for both RWD configurations, regardless of manual vs. automatic transmission. The difference is in the AWD version.

REAR INSULATOR for 2011 Infiniti G37|11320EG800

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount