Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 12:14 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, absolutely. But it's awkward, and pretty much center to the car..
sold my lift and moved... ill be putting her on stands instead..
as far as the work.. ive removed and installed entire drivetrains.. motor swaps and such so this should be fairly simple...
just wanted to know the task at hand..
Old 05-22-2016, 12:40 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
This is what we're talking about. Are you sure it goes away? Doesn't matter how long I drive. In neutral at a stop, the cement mixer/diesel truck sound is there. Last night after some spirited driving, I pulled over and stoppped. Put it in neutral, opened my door slightly, and it sounded a lot like grinding. I revved the engine, drove forward a few feet, tested again. It didn't grind anymore, but the cement mixer/diesel engine noise was still there. I can definitely see this getting worse over time.

Which would be a shame because this is an EXCELLENT mod. The car feels more planted while accelerating through turns. The traction control doesn't engage nearly as much as before. Straight line take offs are much more smooth, no wheel/engine hop like before. And the sound (the good sounds) is just amazing.
I honestly believe it's just amplifying the stock noise. I hear it most when I'm at Duncan donuts drive through for my daily coffee.

Rochester, next time you're in a drive through of sorts, turn the music off and keep the AC on. After slowly creeping forward and let the clutch out again, pay attention to the noise. It's there, just may not notice it.

The first 6MT sedan I was going to buy had 26k miles on it. It made that noise and it freaked me out, so I went home and did research. Then, I drove a 6MT coupe, it made that noise as well . By the time I found my car with 18k miles, noise was there and didn't bother me.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
I went to look at the video in the OP, and got this:

This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
WTF? It was just the car's music box, and only a minute of each song. That is so stupid, it's beyond words. Now I have to re-do the video without an audio track. SONY can suck my *****. I will remember this the next time I want to buy music from the Sony label.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
^^^ yeah I never got to see it
Old 05-22-2016, 11:40 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
WTF? It was just the car's music box, and only a minute of each song. That is so stupid, it's beyond words. Now I have to re-do the video without an audio track. SONY can suck my *****. I will remember this the next time I want to buy music from the Sony label.
This happens all the time when you use music you don't have rights to. Either use royalty free, or create your own music.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
This is hopefully a decent capture of the noise. This is at idle with e brake on. Pushing in and releasing clutch at different rpm ranges.

Why can't I embed a video with photo bucket? Grrr

Last edited by IracknBack; 05-23-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

The custom stand-off from LatheWerks is in the mail as of this morning. More later in the next few days, when it arrives and I can experiment.

If it works out to my satisfaction, I'll re-shoot the after-component of the before/after video (without music ). And if it doesn't work out... well, I suppose I'll redo the video anyway with the original video stock.

Knock on wood.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
But if you sacrifice .5" of threads, doesn't that compromise the strength of the **** and it's connection to the shaft? Not that I'm slamming my shifts or pushing with tremendous weight on it, but it just seems like the threads are there for a reason...
Not at all if you use a different shift **** that is taller. Or maybe you were referring to my washer trick. On my B&M shifter the washer trick worked great because you can see that with a washer that is wide enough to go over the threads you can raise up the shift **** quite a bit before you lose any threads(see below). I cannot tell from Rochester's pic of the shifter if the TWM has the same gap below the threads before it widens so it may not be as effective with the TWM shifter.

Yes, absolutely. But it's awkward, and pretty much center to the car. Front ramps alone probably won't be enough, but I'm just making an assumption about that. However, if you're OK putting the whole car up on stands and rolling underneath, you'll be fine. Putting your car up on a lift is obviously better. And paying a trusted mechanic is best, but certainly the lazy and more expensive approach.
You can also jack up one side of the car and put jack stands on just that side. That angle gave me enough room to do the install pretty easily in my garage.

Rochester- I am surprised to see how many people want to do the trans mount after your review. I think I installed mine last October and you were the only one who got one off of my review. The "reviews only" section where I posted must be crap!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Rochester- I am surprised to see how many people want to do the trans mount after your review. I think I installed mine last October and you were the only one who got one off of my review.
I've noticed that, too. IDK what to tell you. Your review was fine. Maybe it just needed a little more talk and a little more enthusiasm?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...g37s-6spd.html

But hey, you got my attention, and I'm grateful for that. You're a trend-setter!
Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I've noticed that, too. IDK what to tell you. Your review was fine. Maybe it just needed a little more talk and a little more enthusiasm?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetr...g37s-6spd.html

But hey, you got my attention, and I'm grateful for that. You're a trend-setter!
Clearly no one reads the reviews section compared to this section when my review from 8 months ago has 1,000 less views than your post from 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:04 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I just saw your review 4DRZ after a google search for an alternative to the TWM STS...... so I read it. It was a good review but agree in a less traveled area. I had never heard of this mod until Rochester mentioned it. I figured for $200 it couldn't hurt so jumped on it....... and here we are. :-D
Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Shop just called; the Vibra-Technics transmission mount is installed! But, due to work I won't be able to pick up the car until tomorrow morning
Old 05-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Rochester- I am surprised to see how many people want to do the trans mount after your review. I think I installed mine last October and you were the only one who got one off of my review. The "reviews only" section where I posted must be crap!
I saw your review too but I've wanted some more opinions before jumping on it.

I also know you track your car, so you might have a higher tolerance for NVH than those of us who mostly shuffle around suburbia.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by IracknBack
I just saw your review 4DRZ after a google search for an alternative to the TWM STS...... so I read it. It was a good review but agree in a less traveled area. I had never heard of this mod until Rochester mentioned it. I figured for $200 it couldn't hurt so jumped on it....... and here we are. :-D
No doubt that area sees a lot less traffic. I think the trans mount is one of the better mods for this car for the money.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I saw your review too but I've wanted some more opinions before jumping on it.

I also know you track your car, so you might have a higher tolerance for NVH than those of us who mostly shuffle around suburbia.
Good point. I am getting older though so my tolerance for that kind of thing is not what it used to be. I used to daily drive a track rat on full race coilovers, race clutch, and AP racing brakes. Now just the thought of that car makes my back ache and my fillings shake.

Back to your idea of the trans mount for track cars. I think it is just fine on the street if you have an aftermarket exhaust for NVH. A subtle, but nice increase in noise- accents the exhaust growl. Not sure about running it on a daily driver on stock exhaust though.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Back to your idea of the trans mount for track cars. I think it is just fine on the street if you have an aftermarket exhaust for NVH. A subtle, but nice increase in noise- accents the exhaust growl. Not sure about running it on a daily driver on stock exhaust though.
Completely agree with this. If you have an OEM catback (or a Tanabe axle-back), I would not recommend replacing the transmission mount. Pretty sure people wouldn't like the NVH unless they were already used to it because of a loud exhaust.

Super curious what this would be like on the 7AT Journey.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount