Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
South shore of Montreal? 3.5hrs with no traffic lol. Not sure what the issue is, I communicated via email before ordering... now the phone number doesn’t even get answered
Old 04-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Banshee
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is question for the group.

Do you all recommend the TWM STS or the Torque Solutions alternative? I noticed on TWM's website that they have a price match guarantee for "equivalent" products.

If the TWM is the preferred product maybe I can get it at the Torque Solutions price.

From the consistency in this thread, it seems the TWM is the way to go.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Don't forget, Stillen and B&M both make STS for our car.

I'm happy with the TWM, but if they are MIA and not responsive to calls and emails, I'd pick another one.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

There are a number of alternatives, B&M comes to mind. As noted earlier, I went TWM to avoid duty fees ^^. If you get a response from them on the price match, ask them for a status update on the order I placed in Feb lol
Old 04-10-2018, 11:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
B&M makes a great shifter. I have had mine in the car for quite a while now and it is awesome! Pair it with a nice weighted shift **** and you will enjoy shifting again.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 283 Likes on 233 Posts
I've been considering the Ralco shifter for a while and have been wanting to try it out. I'm going off of this review:

Review of ralco rz short shifter (spohn) - Nissan 370Z Forum

Probably going to be my next mod after my tune.

Latez
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Banshee
This is question for the group.

Do you all recommend the TWM STS or the Torque Solutions alternative? I noticed on TWM's website that they have a price match guarantee for "equivalent" products.

If the TWM is the preferred product maybe I can get it at the Torque Solutions price.

From the consistency in this thread, it seems the TWM is the way to go.
I have the Torque Solutions and love it! Zero issues, great quality build. Ball bearing pivot and all SS hardware
Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
I have the Torque Solutions and love it! Zero issues, great quality build. Ball bearing pivot and all SS hardware
It would be something to see the bearing design of both short shifters up close and in depth. From pictures and comments, the two sure seem similar. But I really don't really know, it's just an unstudied impression.

So let's just look at the two through pics, and eyeball the differences. Is the TS bearing section thinner, with those two fitted washers on each end? Did my TWM come with those same washers? (I don't remember.) And the weights on the stalks are clearly different. Seems perhaps the two shifters really are quite different. Sure would be fun to compare them side-by-side on the same car.

See that floating piece, held in place by three rolled rubber washers on each side? You might think that's a pretty clever way to offer a top-shelf to the boot and ****. But really, it sucks, and doesn't hold its position well. The only positive thing I can say about that design element is that it's better than nothing.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-12-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It would be something to see the bearing design of both short shifters up close and in depth. From pictures and comments, the two sure seem similar. But I really don't really know, it's just an unstudied impression.

So let's just look at the two through pics, and eyeball the differences. Is the TS bearing section thinner, with those two fitted washers on each end? Did my TWM come with those same washers? (I don't remember.) And the weights on the stalks are clearly different. Seems perhaps the two shifters really are quite different. Sure would be fun to compare them side-by-side on the same car.

See that floating piece, held in place by three rolled rubber washers on each side? You might think that's a pretty clever way to offer a top-shelf to the boot and ****. But really, it sucks, and doesn't hold its position well. The only positive thing I can say about that design element is that it's better than nothing.

John its been awhile since I saw it outside the car and to answer, yes those washers did go on the end of the bearing. Dont know if its thinner or not but I do have a few more close up pics of the STS in my build thread on post #3.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...bec-black.html
Old 04-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Calg37USMC
How close are you to TWM store, I wonder if any forum members are in the local area of them that can get some more info for us.
As luck may have it, I now have to leave Sunday for Quebec City for work... means that I should be driving through Montreal on my way home Tuesday during business hours. My goal will be to stop in at TWM and see what’s going on, fingers crossed.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
That would be awesome! I’ll hold of on canceling my order then.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Let’s just say I’ve filed claims with PayPal.... found a locked office door in a building they rent space in. I suggest you cancel.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Let’s just say I’ve filed claims with PayPal.... found a locked office door in a building they rent space in. I suggest you cancel.

Damn, that sucks.

PayPal should make it right. I had a long drawn out issue with a vendor on my LGT and PayPal refunded my money. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:13 PM
pri.g
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Wow, I guess I got im right before they went dark. Got my TWM STS in December.

Good luck man. Paypal is likely to make it right.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Fortunately there are other STS options out there.

Now imagine if RJM Performance decided to shut down while someone is sitting on the fence about his clutch pedal assembly.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount