Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
So... you bought, installed and un-installed the Z1 Transmission Mount. Then you bought, installed and un-installed the STS.

That's nuts.

Sell your Torque Solutions STS, buy the TWM or B&M, and take it to another shop. Get something done, man. You're 0 for 2.
Crazy, right?

I need a little break. I have mod PTSD lol. Plus what's the difference between the Torque Solutions and TWM? Isn't it the exact same components? It has to be the metal bushings at the bottom linkage, that's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Furlow that suck man, there would have been some words exchanged after their **** up. Curious why you didn't install it yourself? It's a very simple install and you know it would have been done right
Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
Crazy, right?

I need a little break. I have mod PTSD lol. Plus what's the difference between the Torque Solutions and TWM? Isn't it the exact same components? It has to be the metal bushings at the bottom linkage, that's the only thing that makes sense.
Nobody has had an issue with the TWM

And you need a new shop.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm not a grease monkey like I used to be, and I don't have any expensive hobbies so I spend what I have on my car. I figured "professionals" would do a better job. Lol.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the current set up with my exhaust (2.25", resonator delete and Tanabe), weight reduction (ditched the spare and 90 pound W7 enclosure), and Cusco strut bar. The car is so level around turns now. I'm good for a while like this. The eBay retailer authorized a refund of the shifter, so maybe I'll get the TWM. Does the TWM also have metal bushings at the lower linkage?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
So think I solved my TWM STS rattle issue. If you're not familiar with the installation, the reverse lockout plate can be moved slightly left to right. I adjusted the plate and then drove around and then repeated this process until I was satisfied the rattle went away.

The rattle in 1st gear when accelerating is now gone. The 5th and 6th gear rattle is mostly gone. You can hear it in this video when I shift into 5th. Once the rubber boots and console are put back together the noise is no longer apparent.

I also made sure I tightened down the three bolts holding down the lockout plate real good. Maybe I just didn't tighten it enough the first time I installed it. Regardless, I'm happy again.

It's really interesting driving around with a hole in your console lol; you can see and hear things you wouldn't notice otherwise. Such as the VQ hiss on deceleration. I never heard that noise until now. It was very slight, but easily discernible. Also, I could see just how much the transmission moves lol. In hindsight I would've loved to see how much the transmission moved when I had the VibraTechnics mount on.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Yesterday was the 2016 Third Annual MyG37 Meetup… (LOL, sounds like a real thing now, doesn’t it?) Anyway, I had the opportunity to sit behind a couple of 6MT’s with the OEM shifter. It was my first comparison of the shifter from the perspective of having had this TWM STS for the last couple of months. I didn’t drive any of the other 6MT’s, so the transmission mount wasn’t up for comparison. And RJM Pedal or otherwise, I was just rowing gears with the clutch in and the car off.

Sure, the throw length was different, but that isn’t what surprised me. And observing how the shifter click into place when you push into gear… that was different, but also not what surprised me. It was the amount of play when in any one gear. Wow.

With the OEM shifter, in any gear, there is a ridiculous amount of play. It's a rubbery, spongy experience. However, with the TWM, the **** is rock solid. And I don’t mean it’s just better, it’s a completely different thing. There is no play whatsoever, in any gear.

So there’s that.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:00 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
I personally had the opportunity to drive Rochester's car (thanks again John!) And I must say it was AMAZING! The
TWM Short Throw Shifter felt perfect and truly has me hating the fact I own a 7at till now lol
The following users liked this post:
IPL G37 (08-11-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:35 PM
PG-v36_6MT

So, I just sold my TWM STS to Mik3G37S. I'm looking forward to his feedback and I hope he doesn't experience the rattle issue I had.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
So, I just sold my TWM STS to Mik3G37S. I'm looking forward to his feedback and I hope he doesn't experience the rattle issue I had.
Oh wow. Hey Liam, I'm genuinely sorry neither of those things worked out for you.

Mike, huh? That's awesome.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:58 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Oh wow. Hey Liam, I'm genuinely sorry neither of those things worked out for you.

Mike, huh? That's awesome.
I have a B&M STS now lol. And yes, it still rattles, but not as bad as the TWM. Mike and I were having a conversation on FB Messenger and he was hoping he wouldn't have the same problem.

One thing I pointed out that I didn't realize before was that I have an 07 G35, whereas most people on here with this mod have a G37. The 07 was notorious for excessive NVH; this included an uber vibrating shifter. Apparently, Infiniti refined this problem over the years.

The point is, maybe there's just an inherent design issue on an 07 that causes an STS to rattle. Or maybe it's just my car that's the problem Either way, an STS just feels too good to give up regardless of the noise.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Either way, an STS just feels too good to give up regardless of the noise.
I bet Mike gets all excited reading that.

So... since you've got back-2-back experience with the TWM and the B&M, how would you describe the differences? I'd love to get your opinion on that.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 PM
PG-v36_6MT

I bet Mike gets all excited reading that.

So... since you've got back-2-back experience with the TWM and the B&M, how would you describe the differences? I'd love to get your opinion on that.
In terms of throw length, shift effort and just general operation, I can't tell a difference between the two. They're both high quality STS's that feel really solid. The TWM might have a shorter throw, but the difference is negligible.

The one area where they're different is in installation. The B&M has an integrated shifter pivot ball cup, so you don't reuse the OEM one. I really liked that part. Also, there's no circular spacer you put on the bottom of the shifter mount, unlike with the TWM. The integrated shifter cup on the B&M is higher than the OEM unit so it negates the need for a spacer. Again, I liked that part.

The one part of the B&M shifter installation that I didn't like was that you have to file down part of the shifter opening by a few mm:

This is done so you can engage reverse.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-21-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I have a B&M STS now lol. And yes, it still rattles, but not as bad as the TWM. Mike and I were having a conversation on FB Messenger and he was hoping he wouldn't have the same problem.

One thing I pointed out that I didn't realize before was that I have an 07 G35, whereas most people on here with this mod have a G37. The 07 was notorious for excessive NVH; this included an uber vibrating shifter. Apparently, Infiniti refined this problem over the years.

The point is, maybe there's just an inherent design issue on an 07 that causes an STS to rattle. Or maybe it's just my car that's the problem Either way, an STS just feels too good to give up regardless of the noise.
I have a '13 G37S with the B&M shifter as well as the Z1 trans mount and I have yet to hear it rattle so maybe there is something with the G35 like you said that causes the rattle.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Have everything in hand.
I've been curious for a couple months now what this would be like in the 7AT.

Can't believe you installed it and didn't say anything, so... Bump.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
The Vibra-Technics mount does indeed fit the 7AT. Installed it today. I have 56 miles on it so far, most of them freeway. Just puttering around it's as if one of the exhaust pipes is against a hard part of the body. Some light vibration and a little more exhaust noise. More vibration felt through the steering wheel.

One hard romp so far and there was a lot of drivetrain vibration felt. Much more visceral. More romping needed.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount