Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Well... there's a picture of my 6MT leading into the new video. Unless they're also blocking YouTube.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:53 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I did just see that. it's stunning! seriously. is your rear bumper stock and just your diffuser wrapped? looks so good. maybe i'll check again but were your spokes "running" toward the rear?

while im at it, who is the avatar? I always pictured it being you so I'm sure my reality will be crushed in a second but it's ok.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by IracknBack
I did just see that. it's stunning! seriously. is your rear bumper stock and just your diffuser wrapped? looks so good. maybe i'll check again but were your spokes "running" toward the rear?

while im at it, who is the avatar? I always pictured it being you so I'm sure my reality will be crushed in a second but it's ok.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-26-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:28 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Well classy ride. even if the spokes are the wrong direction.

and careful now. i'll have you know I am a great stalker. a true creeper though has plenty of info from this site alone to show up on your doorstep with a plate of brownies.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by IracknBack
Well classy ride. even if the spokes are the wrong direction.
They sweep back... all four. With the staggered setup, that means I have 4 different wheels on the car at the same time.

It would look weird if they were swept forward. Even so, there is no right or wrong approach, but I suspect 99% of people with directional-spoked rims mount them so they sweep backwards.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

I believe you on that. never had directional spokes. I did see a guy on a local FB Nissan page that had one going on each direction on the same side. I asked why and he said "unique man, it's unique."

hard to argue with that.......
Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Roch - where did you get that collar? I want one!

I understand the growl.... I understand all aspects of what ppl are saying now... It's beastly.... I need more time with it. It's crazy. So much I want to say but I'm still unsure... It's definitely not for someone that wants to keep their car more on the luxury side. But man, it does sound mean.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
Roch - where did you get that collar? I want one!
You mean the trim ring between the shift **** and the boot? That also came from LatheWerks, in polished titanium.

Originally Posted by Sway_NV
I understand the growl.... I understand all aspects of what ppl are saying now... It's beastly.... I need more time with it. It's crazy. So much I want to say but I'm still unsure... It's definitely not for someone that wants to keep their car more on the luxury side. But man, it does sound mean.
I strongly recommend people give it some time before deciding for sure whether or not to ditch the mount. I went for a long, off-highway drive this morning, radio off, windows sometimes down sometimes up, thinking about this mount and my new STS. Then I hopped on the highway for another 15 miles back home. (I wasn't just driving aimlessly, LOL. Actually running errands, and picking up lunch.) Anyway, it really has become the new normal, where I can appreciate it all, but not be surprised by it any more.

It's just... normal now.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-31-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Think you could pm me some info? In super interested in that collar.

And I believe you... It's alarming at first, but it's only been 2 days and I'm already getting used to it. So yeah, I agree with you, I feel like you need to give yourself some time to adjust.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's just... normal now.
Dammit old man, why you gotta be right? After a week and a half with the VT mount installed and it truly has become just...normal. lol

Of course the growl is still there. Always present, always noticeable, but whereas when I first drove off with the mount installed I was always aware of it and it's all I could hear and think about. Now, I'm just driving and...that's it; I'm just driving as usual and enjoying the ride.

On my 25 mile commute home today, I had the radio off and alternated with the windows up and down, and that growl was neither a distraction or an annoyance. I may just keep it on after all.

In other news, I installed the TWM STS on Sunday. Took me about 2.5 hours, but that's only because I like to take my sweet time. Here are some pics:

Name:  DSC00789_zps8t6b8npa.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  265.5 KB

Name:  DSC00790_zpseoc7wqgi.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  212.7 KB

Name:  DSC00791_zps6c6wuwnq.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  227.4 KB

The TWM instructions were spot on. Nothing in the install was difficult, but there were a few items that took longer than expected. Some of them were:
  • Unplugging 3 connectors underneath center console
  • Removing shifter cup from oem shifter pivot ball
  • Removing/reinstalling shifter rod boot under the car
  • Replacing shift boot

If you've been following this thread, you'll know I purchased a shift **** extension from eBay:

Name:  DSC00744_zps9pj5rkwv.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  372.0 KB

The height is perfect IMO. It's probably higher than stock; I didn't take any before/after pics. But, the throws are still ridiculously short.

Name:  DSC00792_zps4oehfb8j.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  236.7 KB

Name:  DSC00793_zps52dffq2c.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  266.6 KB

I still need to tweak the fitment between the shift **** base and shift boot.

I'm absolutely loving this STS! Throws are short and crisp. Shifting effort definitely increased from stock, though. I need to apply more force when rowing gears, but the short throws don't make it a chore. Now I know what it means when automotive journalists describe a shifter as "snick-snick".

In summary: the combination of the Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch, Z1 Nodular Iron Flywheel, RJM Clutch Pedal, Vibra-Technics Transmission Mount and TWM STS equals driving bliss.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Dammit old man, why you gotta be right?
Glad you found some equilibrium on the mount, and are digging the STS. It seems your original linkage boot was trashed too, eh? And yes, a few of those wire harnesses are a b1tch to unclip, even for your dainty little fingers.

I'm kind of surprised you're keeping that standoff at 2" extension. All things like this being subjective, it looks just as goofy 1" higher than stock as it does 1" lower than stock. If you wanted to keep the height, you could use a smaller ****.

Have you seen Falker11's new shift ****? It's gorgeous in the pics. Looking forward to seeing it in August.

I still need to tweak the fitment between the shift **** base and shift boot.
You know that plastic disc that came on the shifter? It's supported on the shaft by 3 rubber rings on each side. If put 5 of them under the disc, and one above it, that should be enough to keep it fixed on the shaft and keep the boot pushed up to wherever you want it to be. If not those rubber rings, you can figure something out, I'm sure. I think that's what the disc is for... at least, that's how I'm using it.

I'm impressed by your DIY install on the shifter, without access to a lift. Heck, Liam, I've been impressed by your car all around since I first saw it last year. Only getting better, too, it seems. Looking forward to seeing it again this summer. And you too, I guess.

Shifting effort definitely increased from stock, though. I need to apply more force when rowing gears, but the short throws don't make it a chore.
Really? I swear, I haven't noticed that. Then again, I don't have the spindly arms of a 10 year old girl.

Old man? Oh noes!

Last edited by Rochester; 06-01-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

BTW, with the stand-off that LatheWerks made for me, my ti **** is about 1/4" higher than it was before the STS. However, the titanium **** itself sat about 1/4" to 1/2" shorter than the OEM ****, so everything is back to normal again. Almost perfectly so. You clearly can see the difference in that recent before/after video.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-01-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Well I've decided to remove the Z1 mount. I love the sound under acceleration, but it's too "there" for me on the freeway. I think maybe it's because my exhaust is rather mellow, so it's dominating the sound in the cabin.

Anyway, I'll let it go for a fair price. PM me if interested.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

I've been driving with mine for over a month now and at first was mesmerized. Anymore I'm annoyed and it makes me feel like my car is about to break all the time stripping all enjoyment out of it. Hell maybe it is though. Lol.

Likely selling mine soon too. Or swapping for stock + cash as I left my OEM one at the shop by mistake. Oops.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You guys need to do what's right for you. Props for trying something new.

If you need to figure out how you got here, remember... blame 4DRZ (LOL).

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount