D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

removing dust cap from fogs need help now in process

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
abice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
removing dust cap from fogs need help now in process

need help now in process!
What's the best way to take off the dust cap from the wires going to fogs I need to put the new hid grommet through the dust cap?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
The rubber grommet pops out of the the dust cap. Some guys cut slits through the sides of the grommet to remove the oem wires and install the HID wires. I cut the oem wires to remove them and cut the HID wire to slide them through the holes. Then I soldered the wires together and covered the soldered wire with heat shrink tubing.

Edit: the guys who cut the slits use silicone sealant to keep moisture out of the housing.

Last edited by speedracer g37; 08-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
abice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
okay so you cut the oem wires, slid them out of the dust cap so you were just hold ing the dust cap in your hand, then you took the hid wires cut them fed it through the original hole in the dust cap,
you didn't cut the dust cap to fit the new hid grommet in it just left the original dust cap as is? my hid grommet is huge where the oem grommet in the dust cap is the size of a dime my new hid grommet is the size of a half dollar, understand where im coming from,

then once everything was through the correct holes you soldered back together you didn't splice and use electrical tape, right??
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Trash the HID grommet. If you cut th oem wires, the dustcap should come off in your hand. Make sure you cut the wires as close to the outside of the dustcap so that you have as much wire to work with as possible. Unscrew th dustcap and unclip the oem fog bulbs. This should leave the bulb and dustcap separate from the car.

Take this to a bench and slide the cut wires out of the dustcap. You should be able to pop out the oem grommet. Youl should also be able to slide the connectors on the HID harness through the hole in the dustcap where the grommet was sitting. Once you have both wires through the dustcap, make a slice on each side of the oem grommet to give acces to the two holes. Insert the HID wires, one into each hole and push the grommet back into the dustcap.