D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Anyone Actually Install OEM Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Can't seem to find any posts from someone who installed the OEM spoiler themselves. Mine will be arriving in a few days and I'm really comtemplating doing this myself. I'm handy and know my way around the tool box. I know I want to get some new, sharp drill bits as mine have seen better days,

If anyone has done this, please comment. Hard/Easy, Gottcha's? I bought touch up paint and plan to paint any exposed metal caused by drilling and use silicone to help seal against leaks.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 AM
jjyellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man

Can't seem to find any posts from someone who installed the OEM spoiler themselves. Mine will be arriving in a few days and I'm really comtemplating doing this myself. I'm handy and know my way around the tool box. I know I want to get some new, sharp drill bits as mine have seen better days,

If anyone has done this, please comment. Hard/Easy, Gottcha's? I bought touch up paint and plan to paint any exposed metal caused by drilling and use silicone to help seal against leaks.
Ive installed one for my friend(his sn is INTRICATE on this forum). It not that hard to do. Instead of using a drill bit you should get a bit(forgot whats it called) thats shaped like a cone to cut the holes(dont want to mess this up b/c this is what lines your spoiler up. Ill see if I can get a pic of the tool i used. Just make sure to line the templates up correctly
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 AM
jjyellow

Irwin 3-Piece UNIBIT Set With Bonus #2 Titanium Step Drill Bit - 15506SM at The Home Depot

This is what i used
Old 04-18-2010, 10:59 AM
2008G-Man

Actually I have one of those already. When you drill in metal you should use a set tap to make a small starter indentation then start with smaller drills and work your way up. Do you remember what the final hole size is?

What did you do about the rear deck and the back window break light? Oh, and thanks for responding BTW. I'm about 99.9% convinced to do it myself and save a few hundred bucks.

I assume it also uses double sided tape for the install. Do you know if your friend can handle the touchless car washes that use the big blowers at the end to dry the car? I see they have a warning at the car wash.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 AM
jjyellow

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Actually I have one of those already. When you drill in metal you should use a set tap to make a small starter indentation then start with smaller drills and work your way up. Do you remember what the final hole size is?

What did you do about the rear deck and the back window break light? Oh, and thanks for responding BTW. I'm about 99.9% convinced to do it myself and save a few hundred bucks.

I assume it also uses double sided tape for the install. Do you know if your friend can handle the touchless car washes that use the big blowers at the end to dry the car? I see they have a warning at the car wash.
Oh the new spoiler will come with directions on how to disconnect the light and how to place the rear camera(if you have one). I forgot the size, but I did use a small bit to make the first hole then I used that other drill adaptor set. The templates that come with the spoiler tells you how big to make the hole. Just triple check before you start drilling. and it does use double sided tape too
Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
2008G-Man

thanks man!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
P15-D24
Registered Member

Anymore first hand experience on this?

Getting a '08 Journey tomorrow and the wife wants to add a spoiler to her new car!