D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Installing springs(question)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a few places in Philly area that install for $200, PM me if you want the shop names, not sure if you want to drive all the way down here though.

You do not need the camber kit with the prokit, just go to a good alignment shop (NOT pepboys or NTB)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i thought you're selling your car? now you want to lower it? wait till after next week please.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this idea yesterday on removing the front springs from the struts. Tell me what you think.

1. Raise the car and put it on jack stands.
2. Raise the front suspension with your jack.
3. While the car is still all together get your air gun and remove the main nut (that is on the damper shaft) that holds on the top plate. You do not need to remove the top plate.
4. Then lower the front suspension until the spring is no longer compressed.
---Then you can remove the spring and damper.
5. Replace spring and reinstall damper. Just align the damper shaft with the hole of the top plate and jack up the front suspension.
6. Reinstall main nut.

I haven't tried it but it might save on the spring compressor and possible injury.

What do you think of that idea?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
I had this idea yesterday on removing the front springs from the struts. Tell me what you think.

3. While the car is still all together get your air gun and remove the main nut (that is on the damper shaft) that holds on the top plate. You do not need to remove the top plate.
5. Replace spring and reinstall damper. Just align the damper shaft with the hole of the top plate and jack up the front suspension.
6. Reinstall main nut.

I haven't tried it but it might save on the spring compressor and possible injury.

that'll actually work and you'll bypass the use of the spring compressor.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

6. Reinstall main nut.

LOL! that's how we compressed the springs when we installed my Eibachs.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 PM
sick6speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a hard time in envisioning this...could someone post pix of this? If this is legit...it would be GREAT.

My confusion is if you don't unbolt anything at the bottom and just the main screw on top...where do you have room to remove the spring?

6. Reinstall main nut.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

did mine myself also. first suspension i have ever done. its an easy job. you just need a little muscle for the fronts.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Dieseldoug22

Originally Posted by sick6speed
My confusion is if you don't unbolt anything at the bottom and just the main screw on top...where do you have room to remove the spring?
You do remove the bottom bolt. You still need to remove the whole strut. Which entails removing the bottom bolt and bracket. You will have the damper and spring in hand after the removal. You will just have a more controlled release of the spring, and technically the top plate can stay installed. So basically you are using the car as a spring compressor.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
sick6speed

Have you tried your theory yet? Haven't purchased springs yet but can't wait to!

You do remove the bottom bolt. You still need to remove the whole strut. Which entails removing the bottom bolt and bracket. You will have the damper and spring in hand after the removal. You will just have a more controlled release of the spring, and technically the top plate can stay installed. So basically you are using the car as a spring compressor.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Dieseldoug22

I haven't tried it in the G yet, but that is how I remove the springs in my full size truck. Basics are the same I just don't know the specific instructions in order. The springs don't really have much preload on them so they shouldn't pop off or anything. But getting off the main center nut is a PITA. I have done that, but I used a spring compressor and air gun.

Basically the same process a shop with a hydraulic press would do, but using the car as the press.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is pretty straight forward...

Infiniti G37 Coupe Tein H-tech spring installation steps

Last edited by Infinite.G; 10-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6. Reinstall main nut.

The removal I get... should work just fine. But to install, the spring needs to be compressed about 3-4"

Are you really saying to compress in place with the jack when re-installing? Is it stable enough to work?

If it's workable, sounds like a great idea because one of the biggest PITA is getting the top nut-plate perfectly aligned to allow for re-installation...

Last edited by Infinite.G; 10-11-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM
sportsdude512

Lol you should probably just make a new thread for shops in ny area... There definitely are guys that have lowered their cars at a shop around there...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 AM
substanceB

Does that bracket need to be removed? I have been looking at the FSM and it doesn't say to remove the bracket. I am planning to install my coilovers myself soon so this would be good info. Is this way easier than then way the FSM shows?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 PM
use2vw

No spring compressor...

6. Reinstall main nut.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY on a G? SOunds great in all, but would hate to get stuck or bust something while working...

Quick Reply: Installing springs(question)