D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY Help: Where is Automatic Transmission Fill Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 AM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gogetter
yes, after you do a drain and refill. you then go and disconnect the trans line coming from the radiator just before it goes into the transmission. Hang in down into a drain pan. Then start the engine. and run it at IDLE only. The pressure is low enough that it will come out in a steady stream. Once you get clean fluid or about 4-5 quarts out then shut the engine off. Reconnect the line and then run the engine up to operating temp and recheck the fluid level. You should be pretty close to the full mark, if not top it off.
This step by step job is listed in the G37 service manual that can be downloaded on this site. P.S. just make sure you get the line that returns from the radiator , not the one going out to it...
I have the manual and haven't looked at it in this respect, but I will. For clarity sake why would I drain 5 quarts and then refill 5 quarts and then from what I gather in your post drain 5 quarts again and then I assume fill back up with 5 which your post didn't exactly say? Is this a dilution method (dilute old fluid) and just has you replacing in 5 quart increments?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 AM
gogetter
Registered Member

dillyyo, this is for the 5at only. Manual trans gets a drain and refill only. To answer your question. You do a drain and refill because once you start the engine to flush out whats in the torque converter. the fresh fluid is taken from the fluid pick up in the pan. Then pumped through the converter and out to the radiator to be cooled before it comes back into the pan. So you get the other 5 qt from whats in the converter and through out the system. As i stated in the previous post. All this is in the G37 service manual that is easily downloaded in a PDF format. hope this helps .....
Old 07-08-2011, 10:35 AM
abice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is an Old thread, but I was just at my dealership and I have a 7at for a G37x, I was going to get my ATF drained and refilled, but decided against it for the time being, I was thinking maybe I could do some research and do it myself, as I found three DIY for changing both differentials and my transfer case fluids. My tech at Infiniti pointed on the two plugs on the bottoms of the oil pan on the transmission like the Illustration earlier in this post, that is the correct process, where they have to use a machine to heat up the fluid and maintain the temperature and fill it with a hose, what I don't get is both plugs are on the bottom of the car facing down, even if they stick a hose inside how will they fill it, I feel like the new fluid will just fall out. I guess it is kind of a let down to doing it on my own, and changing the fluid to a different fluid will probably not fly. I plan on changing the differential fluid to Royal Purple Max Gear, and I want to change the transfer case oil to Royal Purple ATF, if I change these fluids and have the dealership service my 7at and use the S-matic fluid will it cause an issue because the fluids are different?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
It's at 65k miles and I waived the service for 60k. I talked to a service tech aty local dealer and was instructed on how to flush it out.

There's a dipstick/fill tube behind the engine towards the passenger side.
its been almost an year, just wondering. did you diy the automatic transmission fluid flush? what were the steps? sorry for the bringing up the dead thread but i just hit 65k and looking to do mine as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I did, actually. There's a drain nut at the bottom of the tranny case - after you remove the under-tray of course. I drained through there. There's then a fill port behind the engine accessible from the engine bay. It's sort of hidden between the rear of the engine and the cowling. I called my service adviser and asked how much fluid I needed to put in, but for the life of me, I can't remember the amount.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't listen to him. He left us for a dumb bummer
Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by finagle69
Yeah I did, actually. There's a drain nut at the bottom of the tranny case - after you remove the under-tray of course. I drained through there. There's then a fill port behind the engine accessible from the engine bay. It's sort of hidden between the rear of the engine and the cowling. I called my service adviser and asked how much fluid I needed to put in, but for the life of me, I can't remember the amount.
thanks alot!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM
dudegetalife

How often are you supposed to change it out on a 08 g37s?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

is there a step by step on how to drain and refill on 08 gcoupe 5at?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by trulegend
is there a step by step on how to drain and refill on 08 gcoupe 5at?
Here's a simple one.
gshack » Quick ‘n Easy ATF Drain & Refill
Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soundmike
thx bro, i am at 60k right now, when is ideal to drain and refill at fluid?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Welcome. I have to double-check the manual, but i've done it at every 30k mark.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
NCHIINFMNGR

Usually i check the fluid at 30k and go from there, most of the time i do it at 60k, the 5at and a fill at the dipstick tube behing the intake manifold, behing the pass side tb, the older modles have a 10mm bolt holding it in, as far as the 7at we flush it with a machine, there is a tool to fill the pan from underneath that we have at the dealer, but basicly you want to keep pushinf fluid into the pan untill it is so full it pours out then finally will stop, like if you fill a diff with too much fluid and let it drain out, that is what the inf procedure is for the 7at
Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM
sanjay.radia

7 Speed Auto Tans is maintainance free but dealers will ask you to change the fl

I have 2009 G37 with 7speed auto.
3 of the 4 dealers in the bay area strongly recommended me to change my transmission fluid at 30K miles. Only one told me that it is sealed transmission and that
a fluid change is not needed.
(This is even when i told them that I drive about 40 miles a day ont he highway).
The rip off dealers are Infiniti of Pleansonton, Frontier Infiniti, Peninsular Infinity. Only Beshoff infitiniti told me that it was a sealed transmission.

sanjay