D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
kai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just pulled my spring out, actually it just fell out onto the floor and I just left the top part in there. Definitely a little harder to press the clutch in but it feels way better now. I don't know if it's psychological or the free play at the top but the clutch travel definitely feels shorter to me now.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
blegthbloo

After reading about how much everyone likes this mod I decided to go out and do it myself, even though it was pitch black outside lol... my pin had very little grease and took FOREVER to come out, but eventually it did, after being like a contortionist for 5 minutes like someone earlier said.

Then I went out for a test drive and wow... just wow. +1 for this mod. Feels like the clutch in my old civic
Old 05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Silver_HR
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Super Easy

I was very angry with my clutch after trying to drive my car quickly through some twisties, came onto this forum, found this thread and ripped that stupid sucker out.

I LOVE THIS FORUM.

WARNING: Its not that the clutch is suddenly a magic wand that now makes you a shifting god, its just that it now feels like a normal clutch, and all the skills you've built up on other cars are suddenly applicable again.

Whereas before, despite driving stick well, for 7 years, between two different cars, I felt like a complete hack.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So i pretty much have to do this mod immediately? Overall positive responses from everyone?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM
blegthbloo

After I did this my pedal started losing pressure and a month later my clutch is blown and flywheel is trash.

Despite this, I don't think the mod had any effect on that. Just bad coincidence.

However, if you have the same symptoms and have to pump the pedal a couple times before it'll engage, I encourage you to research an aftermarket clutch and flywheel the same day, find one you'd be comfortable with and buy it, then take it somewhere to install it. Otherwise you'll be like me, getting hit with a dead clutch and being rushed to make a decision. OEM clutches are lame anyway so you'd do well to research the clutch stuff asap. Btw I went with ClutchMasters Stage II (kevlar) and CM Aluminum flywheel. Hopefully getting it installed and back to me today.....
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Chomponthis
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im a try this, it says this is the second mod. What is the first one?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM
DustinEarnhardt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is clutch fix #1: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...al-travel.html

It has a much much better effect than clutch fix #2 did. I did them both and I finally like my clutch now.
The following users liked this post:
handleandrew (05-04-2014)
Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
andrew3306

I did all three mods liked it for a while until I went to the dealership test drove the IPL. After finding the IPL's clutch easier to work with than my G, I was thinking the 2011 series clutch action was improved. Then it came to me that I had taken out my spring; I put the spring back in and took off the stops (fix one).

I still have the rod adjustments in but now I am completely happy. I am thinking it maybe psycological, the car felt better with the spring in, but when I took it out it felt better with the spring out. I did get used to not having the spring but when I test drove the IPL I was amazed how easy and refined the clutch movement and feeling was. Funny!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:19 AM
jplebeouf

Just did this. Car drives like a dream now. Had a hell of a time getting the pin out, though. My only concern is that all the pulling and wrenching I did down there might have loosened something up. The pedal seems to have a little play now, including some lateral instability (not really noticeable while driving, but when I put manipulate it with my hand). Also, can I leave the upper part in there, or should I remove it when my knees recover, lol? I just pulled the bottom part out and the spings slipped off.

Thoughts?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:52 PM
blegthbloo

I left mine on there. Made it easier to replace it when my clutch blew and I had to put it back in to cover myself in case they wanted to say it was my fault lol... but it's a clutch, so they said that anyway. sigh.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:19 AM
DustinEarnhardt
Registered Member

I went the route of putting a looser spring in like Jatt suggested. It helped with remove the play without removing any of the benefits of this mod. It was cheap and easy to do.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 PM
blegthbloo

I still haven't found a looser spring that's the right size I'll have to keep looking. I even went to Ace Hardware like one guy said earlier... but they didn't have anything like it
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
DustinEarnhardt
Registered Member

I bought mine in a two pack and I've got an extra if you want it. The pack was $5, so $2.50 + ship. PM me and we'll talk.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
nrp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try a bump stop at the top of the pedal, it should take all the play out.

Originally Posted by jplebeouf
Just did this. Car drives like a dream now. Had a hell of a time getting the pin out, though. My only concern is that all the pulling and wrenching I did down there might have loosened something up. The pedal seems to have a little play now, including some lateral instability (not really noticeable while driving, but when I put manipulate it with my hand). Also, can I leave the upper part in there, or should I remove it when my knees recover, lol? I just pulled the bottom part out and the spings slipped off.

Thoughts?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM
blegthbloo

So I got the spring from DustinEarnhardt, and got to test it out this evening. Soooo much better now... And with my new clutch as well? ...

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Fix #2 - Oh what a feeling :)