D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Laser Inteceptor Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
tquill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laser Inteceptor Install

Well I got started installing the LI on my fiancee's G37 this weekend and here is some pictures that might help anyone installing one on their own car.

First I removed the radiator cover and grill:

Since I plan on mounting the LI heads on the aluminum bar behind the grill, I checked the level of it. This step is important because the LI heads need to be both level with the ground and facing straight forward.

First check the level of the garage floor:

Then the center of the aluminum bar:

Since the heads won't be mounted on the center of the bar... I check the outside of the bar to see if it remained level:

Ouch... not even close... It seems the bar twists as it moves towards the headlights. Well the brackets the LI heads are mounted on will obviously have to be bent to account for this.

Since the heads will be sticking through the grill... I have to cut a piece of the grill out to let the heads stick through. I want to get the heads as close as I can to the headlights and as low as possible in the grill so they're centered towards bumper.

Using a dremel... I cut out once small piece from each support bracket on either side of the grill. The piece is circled in red:

After cutting the grill, I mounted the heads using the provided metal brackets, and also aluminum brackets I bought from the store. The hardest part about this was getting the heads both level and at the correct height to fit through the grill without touching it. Here is a pic with painters tape over the heads to prevent from scratching while I put the grill back on:

Now for the wiring... DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

I used an add-a-circuit for power. It lets you give power to the jammer without cutting any wires. I plugged it in the to the mirror fuse:

Cut a hole for the button... mine's kind of ugly but I'll fix it with a bit of flat black touch up paint later:

Connect the heads and button to the CPU:

Zip tie it all under the steering wheel column:

And here's the finished install:

I know was pretty concise for a lot of the instructions... so let me know if I need to expand on any of it.

Last edited by tquill; 08-25-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI for your DIY.....don't post a DIY until it's finished and ACTUALLY INVOLVES WHAT YOU POSTED IT DID. Nowhere in these pictures do I see a Laser Interceptor. Until you finish this newbie:

Just joking man Hope to see the finished product.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:57 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Subscribing to see end product, nice write up so far!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go around speeding near places you know cops uses laser and come back to tell us how it works. i wouldnt mind getting this...i-12 are filled with cops with lasers.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
tquill

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
go around speeding near places you know cops uses laser and come back to tell us how it works. i wouldnt mind getting this...i-12 are filled with cops with lasers.
The LI itself works great... though the actual performace depends on the installation quality and type of vehicle. I'm hoping the former is pretty good, and I know the latter isn't that bad.

As for testing, flying by the police shooting laser won't be necessary. I know someone who owns a number of different laser guns and I'll test my setup with those once the installation is finished.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Wouldn't cutting through your grille make them visible somehow and attract cops attention?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Wouldn't cutting through your grille make them visible somehow and attract cops attention?
Possibly, but they're still not that noticeable unless you're looking for them. It's very rare for cars to have these and I doubt many police know... or even care to know that these exist. Those that do know about them usually assume they don't work. Regardless they're legal here in most states so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM
tquill

Updated and finished
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 AM
TheDuke

Nice job. I just had the Blinder M27 installed on my G37 today. I noticed on yours (mine are like this too) that the heads aren't sticking out from the grill, from what I've heard they need to stick out and have a clear line of sight to work best. It's almost impossible to get them stick out the way our grill is though.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Great job! I see you get carried away and painted your grille while you were at it eh? haha
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Nice job. I just had the Blinder M27 installed on my G37 today. I noticed on yours (mine are like this too) that the heads aren't sticking out from the grill, from what I've heard they need to stick out and have a clear line of sight to work best. It's almost impossible to get them stick out the way our grill is though.
Ideally you'd probably like them to stick out a bit to help protect from wide angle shots but I think our setups should be sufficient because they still have a decent view from the side and the grill doesn't obstruct their view at all.

As mentioned in the other forum, I suppose extreme over the hill shots could be a problem but I'll have to look at my setup to check and see how much the grill may obstruct the view of the heads looking down on the grill.

Last edited by tquill; 08-26-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM
tquill

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Great job! I see you get carried away and painted your grille while you were at it eh? haha
Well I took the pics at night so the flash made it seem like I may have painted the grill but I didn't. It's still the stock chrome.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
TheDuke

Originally Posted by tquill
Ideally you'd probably like them to stick out a bit to help protect from wide angle shots but I think our setups should be sufficient because they still have a decent view from the side and the grill doesn't obstruct their view at all.

As mentioned in the other forum, I suppose extreme over the hill shots could be a problem but I'll have to look at my setup to check and see how much the grill may obstruct the view of the heads looking down on the grill.
Ya a guy from the RD forum had the Blinder M27 installed just like mine and tested it. Jammed to gun every time, but I don't think they tried overpass shots, that would be the biggest concern. Let us know how the test goes. Getting mine tested in Oct.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
tquill

I moved the heads out of the grill a little more to protect against overpass shots. Also, I ran the sensor wires under the rubber grommet behind the battery rather than through a hole I drilled through the firewall on the driver's side.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 PM
TheDuke

Ya I had my heads put out further also. Haven't gotten it tested yet though.

Quick Reply: DIY: Laser Inteceptor Install