D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Stillen Gen3 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good write-up VIP G! You did well for doing it yourself.

Just a question, but is it possible to remove the two parts that everyone cuts?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
pfizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid-Life Crisis, Unfortunatly I do not have any close up pictures. My bumper is going to be removed this Saturday, when it is I'll post up some close ups.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
akuma_83

Great DIY ! For those of you going to do the install yourself and have no knowledge on modding what so ever... then seek help from a shop, cause the instructions itself is pretty blunt... and the fitment isnt 100%, it took alittle fighting with, for those of you who did the intsall themselves know what i mean !

As far as cutting of the holes... i did mine just like VIP G's... but if your more into attention to detail, then the basic Dremel kit comes with everything to make the opening into a circle, rather then squared out... just measure up the piping to the opening, draw your perfect circle and cut away ! the only downside to it, is that its gonna take some time, which was something that i didnt have, was getting it done before the wife came home to see me ripping apart her $40K baby ! which she did come home to see ! long story short, she was shocked to see the car in pieces, but was more shocked and satisfied on performance of the car afterwards !

Good luck with your installs and you wont be disappointed with this Mod ! IMO ! Oh and dont forget to reset your ECM ! shoots !
Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly due to the fitment of the tube the perfect circle wasn't possible without cutting the metal. The metal on top of the hole needs to be cut in order to allow for better fitment and I didn't have the tools to do that

Still its in there now and I was running out of time due to darkness and perfects arn't going to make the intake funtion any better. I guess if your someone whos **** about stuff like that then take 2 hours and make perfect circles. How I make the holes was hard enough and annoying enough so no way I'd go for perfect holes.

Yes fitment on this intake is terrible and lots of modifying is needed
Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM
JuztaJ

Ive been iffy if to go with the Gen3 or Injen.. I think the injen is a better bolt up and less hassel. Is the power difference really that big of a deal to go through so much trouble?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Both are similar, its personal preference which ones you want..I just feel you get better air flow in the front grill
Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. what a hassle. totally reconsidering the stillen gen3. i got the stillen gen 2, but like u said, its the airflow. nice job and nice diy instructuions.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
sbmwg37s

Do you have a closer picture of the splash guard installed?
The reason is I installed the G3 intakes at Amplified motorsport, but the splash guard was not installed securely. I checked and found there is no nut or nothing to secure the guard, so it droops aside to the floor.

Mine looks like this
Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sbmwg37s
Do you have a closer picture of the splash guard installed?
The reason is I installed the G3 intakes at Amplified motorsport, but the splash guard was not installed securely. I checked and found there is no nut or nothing to secure the guard, so it droops aside to the floor.
that doesn't look right. not second guessing Amplified at all, but I know that the Gen 3 comes with the nut for the splash guard. You can probably just get a 1/2" or 3/4" or whatever it is and just put it on yourself.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 PM
sbmwg37s

I couldn't put a nut because something doesn't seem right to me.
Is the splash guard installed in the right place?

Everytime I go through a rainy day, the air filter get soaked like today (it's raining in Ca)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:43 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
saw this in you tube. it's a stillen 3 gen intake install on a 07 G35. it seems very similar install right down to the dremel use...plus it looks like he only took the grill out to install the filters rather than taking the bumper out.

excuse the music...i don't know about you but it drives me crazy, strongly advised to watch in mute until the last minute

YouTube - Stillen Gen3 Ultra Long Intake installed on 2007 G35 Sedan V36 (VQ35HR)
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

I couldn't put a nut because something doesn't seem right to me.
Is the splash guard installed in the right place?

Everytime I go through a rainy day, the air filter get soaked like today (it's raining in Ca)
it's in the right spot but if your filters are getting soaked by the rain then it's definitely wrong. they shouldnt get wet at all (im guessing because its slanted to the side like in the pic) i would seriously just go to ace hardware or home depot and buy a single nut and straighten it out
Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 AM
sbmwg37s

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
it's in the right spot but if your filters are getting soaked by the rain then it's definitely wrong. they shouldnt get wet at all (im guessing because its slanted to the side like in the pic) i would seriously just go to ace hardware or home depot and buy a single nut and straighten it out
Yes it's slanted so that the driver side filter is exposed, but it's kinda impossible to secure it with a nut when it's installed like the picture. It drives me crazy right now. I wanted to install perfectly so i got the intakes installed at Amplified, but now the filters are getting soaked when it rains and it seems like I have to disassemble everything and make it fit again.
Is it risky to drive with soaked filters or in a rainy day by the way?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You definitely should put a nut on there--stillen includes a nylon nut for locking it in place. It will be a tight fit so you must pull back the filter to get the nut in that tight space and then gently insert the filter end while tightening. The filters should not be soaked but without a nut on tight, the filter shield will just drop down. tighten it up so that the front and a bit of the top are covered by the shield.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Yes it's slanted so that the driver side filter is exposed, but it's kinda impossible to secure it with a nut when it's installed like the picture. It drives me crazy right now. I wanted to install perfectly so i got the intakes installed at Amplified, but now the filters are getting soaked when it rains and it seems like I have to disassemble everything and make it fit again.
Is it risky to drive with soaked filters or in a rainy day by the way?
Yeah it's not a good thing to have those filters getting wet...if it's not a huge out of the way drive (or if it is, more time in the G ) I'd head back to Amplified and ask them to fix it up. I am sure that Lou and the guys will take care of you and fix it for you

Quick Reply: DIY: Stillen Gen3 install