D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Remote Starter: 6spd MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:11 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rrrevin
Wow.. how do you manage to pass anyone on the highway?
Ride at redline
Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
619G-ride

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TomG37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrevin View Post
Wow.. how do you manage to pass anyone on the highway?
Ride at redline

hahaha! .... dont wanna jump that beautiful G into a fence, wall, or who knows what else
Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Frank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to leave my car in neutral.. until some theifs cut the e-brake line on my old car (Integra) while I was sleeping and rolled the car out of my driveway.
I'm guessing that's what they did.

Now I always leave it in gear.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Damb thiefs. I bet you posted your plate number online and they found you that way.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Frank

Originally Posted by shumby
Damb thiefs. I bet you posted your plate number online and they found you that way.

Nope...never even put pics of it online. I'm thinking someone was keeping an eye on it.
Not trying to hijack the thread... just stating why I no longer leave my car in neurtral while it's parked.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I can not think of one good reason why you would ever leave a manual out of gear when parked.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can:

You have a remote starter.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Graham
Premier Member

It can be done, you'll need an aftermarket alarm system. Most shops don't like doing manual vehicles because of the risk of drivers leaving the car in gear and it jumping, so how some one could put the liability on the shop that installed the starter. But it just bypasses the typical pressing in of the clutch to start. Granted you do know what will happen if you accidentally leave the car in gear. It will jump through any parking blocks and if it gets a good enough launch it could just start ghost idling forward until you hop in and push the clutch or disengage the gear. Meaning any other cars it damages will be your responsibility to fix along with the damages to your own vehicle.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
frcefed

I've had a remote start in both my STi's. The car is left in neutral, e-brake on, feet off the gas and brake, remove key get out and close the door. The minute you open the door, take off the e-brake, hit the brake etc the remote start is dis-engaged. No chance of you starting your car and it jumping, rolling away etc.....Maybe in old remote starters but not the new ones.

I'm looking at getting the connect2car for my G in the summer.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by frcefed
I've had a remote start in both my STi's. The car is left in neutral, e-brake on, feet off the gas and brake, remove key get out and close the door. The minute you open the door, take off the e-brake, hit the brake etc the remote start is dis-engaged. No chance of you starting your car and it jumping, rolling away etc.....Maybe in old remote starters but not the new ones.

I'm looking at getting the connect2car for my G in the summer.
Well its typical of remote starters to shut off without the key when you hit the brake. My truck was that way, but that's just to keep some jackass from jumping in your remote started ride and taking off. You can drop the vehicle in drive without pushing the break, also if they rev'd the engine passed a certain amount of RPM's without a key it would shut off.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 AM
frcefed

Originally Posted by Graham
Well its typical of remote starters to shut off without the key when you hit the brake. My truck was that way, but that's just to keep some jackass from jumping in your remote started ride and taking off. You can drop the vehicle in drive without pushing the break, also if they rev'd the engine passed a certain amount of RPM's without a key it would shut off.
True but the point it there are so many fail safes that your vehicle will not move, cause it won't start if it's in gear, the e-brake is off. The one I had would disable even if I open my door after the remote start is set. I would have to start my car again and go through the whole process to set it in the remote start mode. Kind of a PITA but that's to joys of owning a manual transmission and wanting a remote starter.

I'm pretty sure compustar would be compatible with our cars. But if I do keep my car the connet2car if defenitly going on my car this summer.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Graham
Premier Member

I would have thought they'd be able to make something, obviously these sophisticated vehicle computers can tell when a car is in gear or not, most automatics actually display the gear # in certain sport modes (not our G's though.) I've been out of the car audio industry for about 4 years now so I'm sure a lot has improved.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
frcefed

I just got off the phone with the guy that did the install on both my STi's and he said that they have done several G37's and that it would cost about 1100-1300$ (canadian $$) and that it takes about 5-6 hours(double the average install). I would have to have my intelligent key and the 2 way remote key fob with me at all times. I think he said the brand was auto start, I asked about the compustar and he said that they go with the auto start brand cause it's easier to intergrate with our vehicles.