D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: HPAuto HID Fog Light Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 PM
G37_6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: HPAuto HID Fog Light Conversion Kit

Hello Everyone.

I did a quick and ROUGH writeup on installing the HPAuto HID Fog Light Conversion Kit. I am assuming the user have a good level of mechanical experience since I skipped many details. In the DIY I also included pictures on the location of headlight, turn signal, city light, and side marker bulbs if you wish to swap out those too. The location for the headlight and fog light adjustment screws can be found in the pictures as well.

1. Jack up the car, remove wheel.
I suggest you doing the passenger side first as you can easily test out if you install the kit correctly before moving onto the driver side. If you did the driver side first, you will have to complete the passenger side too in order to test it out.

2. Remove the fender well plastic guards. You will have to remove 2 pieces, one is a small one held by 3 clips right in front of you and the big major one.

3. Remove the top part of the washer fluid tank (sounds hard but it's just one plastic screw. Remove it and pull the whole thing up). Very easy.

4. Check the HID bulb replacement DIY thread, there is a small black bracket holding onto a huge wire bundle right in front of the cover, it will give more room if you remove the single screw that's holding it. Push that whole thing out of your way.

5. Remove fog light plastic cover, disconnect the yellow and black connectors you see right after removing it.

6. Un-clip the metal spring clip that's holding down the stock fog bulb and remove the bulb. You do not need to unscrew anything.

From now on it's my own installation method. Other members might have better ways of installing it.

1. Cut the yellow and black stock fog light wires closest to the connector and pull out the cover. Pop out the rubber gourmet using a screw driver.

2. Slice the rubber gourmet from top to bottom on each side with an X-Acto knife to essentially create a "C" and a reverse "C" openings.

3. Cut the new HID fog light wires 3/4 way from the bulb and 1/4 from the connectors that came with it. (Make sure you note which wire connects to which connector!!!!!)

4. Leave the HID fog bulb in the plastic tube it came with (for protection during the following installation) and pop the two wires into each side of the rubber gourmet.

5. Insert the rubber gourmet back into the plastic cover (this will be hard due to the thicker wires but it's doable, use a screw driver). Strip and install connector on the wires once the cover is back on.

6. Strip and install connector on the other ends of the cut wires.
(basically I cut and installed a male-female connection on the wiring that can be easily disconnected with the plastic cover now in between the bulb and the custom connection).

7. Remove the HID fog bulb from the plastic tube and install it back into the headlight housing (side with the brown tube covering a wire coming out of the bulb should be facing the bottom, it's a little tight but it will go in)

8. Clip the bulb back down. This will require a good amount of force!!!

9. Push and slide the plastic cover to about an inch left from the bulb base and install it back on!

***The rest is pretty straight forward.

1. Connect the cut yellow and black stock wiring to the white and black wires (respectively) on the relay wiring kit (supplied).

2. Route red wire to battery positive terminal. I have this red wire routed through the ground wire gourmet going into the battery box. DO NOT CONNECT IT YET!!!

3. There is a grounding point bolt around the power steering fluid tank holding a small ground wire. I connected the black wire to it. (indicated earlier in a picture)
4. I mounted my relay in the same area. Using a bolt on the air intake box. (indicated earlier in a picture)
5. Connect up the HID ballast and mount it at a secure place of your choice.

6. Now connect the red wire to battery positive terminal
7. Test it out!

***** Make sure you remove the red wire again before doing the driver side.
The driver side is basically the same procedure but there will be no use for the stock yellow and black wires. I sealed the wires' exposing tip with some Elmer's glue and use electrical tape to insulate it from each other.

HAPPY INSTALLING!

Finished!!!

Before #1

Before #2

After: All 5 bulbs are ON #1

After: All 5 bulbs are ON #2

After: Turn Signal OFF

After: Turn Signal and HID Fog Light OFF

After: All ON except HID Fog Light

Last edited by G37_6MT; 10-14-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for helping us out.. i want to try to do this soon..
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it would be easier with pictures but thanks for writeup
Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM
G37_6MT

Originally Posted by jnguyennikka
it would be easier with pictures but thanks for writeup
If you want to wait. I am getting replacement HID Fog bulbs (wrong color). After I receive those I can take apart everything again and take pictures. Probably another 2 weeks though. Meanwhile, I can draw out the part of my custom wiring installation.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_6MT
If you want to wait. I am getting replacement HID Fog bulbs (wrong color). After I receive those I can take apart everything again and take pictures. Probably another 2 weeks though. Meanwhile, I can draw out the part of my custom wiring installation.
pics would be dope!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:08 PM
G37_6MT

Anyone need me to draw it out in the meantime?

If not then I am not gonna bother and will just wait to take pix in about 2 weeks.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
pics would be dope!
yeahs picture would be dope! and um i doubt drawing will do it justice I think everyone could wait for pictures, that would be so much easier.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Skyline-LEXY

pic could of helped more
Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
obhaiv

Thank you so much for the write up again. I am ordering my lights today (capsule, fog, city and side markers) I hope by the time I get them you have the photos to make it even easier to install.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
fkat
Registered Member

I finally did this DIY for the HID fog install thanks to G37_6MT. My goal was not to cut the stock or HID wires and avoid drilling a huge hole on the fog resin cap. First remove the headlights by following the DIY here. Since I was also applying the Bats overlay this made perfect sence.

My eyes!

Remove the resin cap and disconnect the wires from stock then remove the seak packing gasket.

Using a 1/8" bit drill a hole from the back side at the location indicated. Note that LH and RH difference.

Using a utility knife cut a notch down to the hole, about 1/16" wide. Clean up and vaccuum as you go and be careful, don't cut yourself.

Pull the yellow and blcak stock wires from the cap to shorten it leaving about 1" and tuck it behind the cap as shown. Press the connectors down starting with black, then yellow just like the picture. If the wires are hard to pull you'll have to pry the seal out of the cap. Use a small screw driver from the front to and gently push around. After you pull the wires Remove the stock H1 bulb then put your HID bulb and secure it. Put the gasket through the HID wires and then push the wires down the notch.

Seal the notch with silicon sealant. Putting a dab of sealant before putting the wires in might help.

Replace the cap back and seal around the wires.

For the RH assembly connect the relay wires using two wire tap connectors. You can get these at a local hardware store/RadioShack, etc. Connect black with black and yellow with white. Now reinstall the headlights.

Now layout the wiring harness under the hood. Remove the clip by the battery compartment then push the red wire along with the fuse inside.

I zip tied the balasts under the fenders.

Route the harness for LH under the RH air box, through anod over the fans and along the coolant reservor and under the LH air box. Zip tie the rest of the harness and connect the relay wire and balasts.

Connect the ground wire on the RH tirewell just below the engine plate.

Finally connect the red wire to the battery.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

wow great diy! one of these days i'll give it a shot.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
370GT

Question, why use the HID kit with a WIRE Harness ? Why not the DIGITAL HIDs that plug directly to the stock H1 Harness ?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 AM
G37_6MT

OoooOOooo nice write up!

I actually liked your way of installing the HID conversion kit w/o cutting the stock wires better. However it seems like you will have to remove the entire headlight housing (not a bad idea actually) to have enough room to work.

I swapped out the bulb today from yellow to white... took some pictures... I will upload them tomorrow night...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
obhaiv

nice

Did you have to allign the headlights once you put them back on?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:16 AM
fkat
Registered Member

^ x-vert didn't say on his DIY but I guess it can't hurt. You can see the indentation mark once you take the bolts off so I just put them back and tightened the bolts more or less exactly where they were.

Quick Reply: DIY: HPAuto HID Fog Light Conversion Kit