D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

An excellent overview of 6MT driving technique. Courtesy of a G35 Veteran!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 AM
goomba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shmad
the point of my original post was to correct what somebody else said that was blatently wrong...

but u can double clutch for two reasons--1. lining up the gears so they dont grind when u downshift and 2. spinning the trans/clutch at the same speed as the engine so the clutch doesnt have to bite hard to match engine to trans speed.

i do it for reason #2. clutch is basically a super duty brake and wears out....use ur brakes less/not as hard, ur gonna replace them less...use ur clutch less/not as hard, ur not gonna have to replace it. simple as that
And this is where you lose all credibility. I'd rather replace brake pads than replace a clutch or synchros in a transmission.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 AM
shmad

Originally Posted by goomba
And this is where you lose all credibility. I'd rather replace brake pads than replace a clutch or synchros in a transmission.
go back and read my original post. ^^this is exactly what im saying. thought it was pretty clear....

Originally Posted by shmad
clutch is basically a super duty brake and wears out. use ur clutch less/not as hard, ur not gonna have to replace it. simple as that

Last edited by shmad; 07-16-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
shmad

Originally Posted by goomba
This is wrong. you can double clutch on up shifts as well... Driving stick for 8 years doesn't mean you know everything.
please explain the reason for double clutch upshifting. where have u READ the need for double clutch upshifting.
the reason for double clutching is to match engine and trans speed for a lower gear in relation to a constant speed. the rotational force of both the engine and trans will decrease as soon as u press the clutch to upshift. when i do a 2 to 3 shift, by the time i get into 3rd my revs have dropped appropriately. engine and trans speed have already slowed down, by sheer friction, to the correct rpm in 3rd.
why would u double clutch on upshifts?

Last edited by shmad; 07-16-2008 at 07:55 AM.