Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra (Costs/Locations/Type)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:58 PM
clokwork
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well folks, I will say that clear bra works. I scraped up against another car over the weekend and heard it. I thought my paint was ruined. I got out, and their car was fine, but had a whilte residue for my clear bra, but I couldnt tell if my car was actually damaged. I had the bra removed and it was flawless. the bra took the grunt of it all. I had it replaced yesterday and am back to normal. the one piece did cost me 250 though.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Proform

glad that worked out for you, 3M film is designed to dissipate impacts, not a sustained force, BUT it will work in many cases as stated above. I sponser all the cars for Team Lexus, and the Rolex SGS champions TPC racing in Jessup MD. I have seen many many times the abuse the film will take and still look good. If you have 3M film on your car and get in a situation as above, dont be afraid to use a light polishing compound and a soft rag to remove the paint that is on the bra, its worth a try and certainly less expensive than replacing. The clearcoat on the 3M is very similar to the clear on your car, the film can actually be sanded and buffed. I dont recomend that for the novice, but it is good info to know. I'm not an advertiser on here so I won't post my phone number, some one else already has, if anyone has any questions, regardles whether you are my customer or not, please feel free to ask...Rob
Old 07-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Benj

Anyone gotten a clear bra put on their car lately? How much is it running in the DC area and who would you recommend?

Thx!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM
SaltiDawg

Originally Posted by Benj
Anyone gotten a clear bra put on their car lately? How much is it running in the DC area and who would you recommend?
The following link is to a thread that talks to our experience with Rob Freeman at PROFORM in Ellicott City a month ago.. I had checked out a bunch of possibilities in VA and MD and I am so glad we found Rob! Rob's price for us is $100 off of his regular $1195 price = $1095

Contact info for him is at the same link.

We are 100% Happy with the install!

http://www.g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57502
Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Benj

Originally Posted by SaltiDawg
The following link is to a thread that talks to our experience with Rob Freeman at PROFORM in Ellicott City a month ago.. I had checked out a bunch of possibilities in VA and MD and I am so glad we found Rob! Rob's price for us is $100 off of his regular $1195 price = $1095

Contact info for him is at the same link.

We are 100% Happy with the install!

http://www.g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57502
Thx for the info thought it would be a bit cheaper by now but no big. Need to get it done to save the car. How long did it take? Cause I am pretty far from their shop. I would have to wait there for the car. Ellicott City is a haul!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Pratik

Yeah i think that price is kinda high but I guess when it comes to a clear bra, you get what you pay for as far as quality and install. Have you tried contacting say Passport? Or any other local dealer. Maybe they can hook it up for less.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Babacks_G

A-1 Tint...the place me and Lek and Arjunz got our tint done does Clear Bra too. It costs 900 bucks for the full package.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Benj

Originally Posted by pratik97
Yeah i think that price is kinda high but I guess when it comes to a clear bra, you get what you pay for as far as quality and install. Have you tried contacting say Passport? Or any other local dealer. Maybe they can hook it up for less.
Have not called anyone yet. Just wanted to see what people were paying these days and who they used. This is something I am going to try to do before winter.

Originally Posted by Babacks_G
A-1 Tint...the place me and Lek and Arjunz got our tint done does Clear Bra too. It costs 900 bucks for the full package.
Cool thx will have to try to find where they are at and give them a call.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:43 AM
mbq62

^ they are on rte 7 going towards leesburg. It's next to a 7-11.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Benj

Originally Posted by mbq62
^ they are on rte 7 going towards leesburg. It's next to a 7-11.
Sweet thx will have to drive up and check them out.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Proform

Originally Posted by pratik97
Yeah i think that price is kinda high but I guess when it comes to a clear bra, you get what you pay for as far as quality and install.
you're absolutly correct in this statement. If you guys need someone in NOVA, use Skip Vachon at PFT films in Herndon 703-944-7076. He is the only one in No. Va authorized to use the PROFORM design. the place on rt 7, I have to warn everyone, the person that does the installs there used to be affiliated with me, I wont go into detail but he was asked to leave Rosenthal Infiniti after some VERY bad installs.any questions feel free to call 866-PRO-3682...Rob
Old 07-14-2005, 08:42 AM
mbq62

So Rob do you guys operate on weekends? Also what do you guys do about the OEM lip? Are you able to clearbra over that? I've heard that you can't clearbra over the lip. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Proform

Skip works on the weekends, I am a full time single dad on the weekends. The way I had my designers do the kit its approx 1/16th away from the edge, we dont wrap edges as imho they tend to peel back. Our new kit also covers a full 24 inches on the hood and has a swoop design to aid in the bra being less detectable. Our fenders and mirrors are also one piece design with minimal stretching involved. Our Bumper covers from wheel to wheel with only two small seams in the bottom corners of the front vents.
the whole purpose of me designing my own kits was after 8 years and over 15000 installs using poorly designed kits, I feel you guys and gals as consumers deserve more coverage and a more appealing kit. As an installer, I got tired of having to fight each kit and knew there was a better way. There are many hard to install kits, BUT, we didnt need the kit fighting us as well. As my 3M rep can attest and others on the board, there are times where I have fought long and hard at a minimal profit (sometimes loss of) to make sure each customer has a pleasurable experiance with clear bra. I cringe at some of the horror stories and even more at some of the pics I've seen as what people deem acceptable all in the sake of a few dollars. there will be competition and some great installers will come along. Lord knows I am not perfect, but I'm smart enough to know that a happy customer is a returning customer. I'm a enthusiest myself, with a custom lowered dually, my Harley and 2 boats( a 42 foot Cigarette and a 33 foot furmula) as well as a supercharged pickup truck. WE all have worked hard to personalize our rides and we want the best for them. We all look for deals and thats great, the old adage comes to mind. "if it's sounds to good to be true, it usually is"
If you want to use a different installer, check references and if they cant provide pics or phone numbers, be leary. My phone line is open to anyone that has questions. my goal here is to inform people and help make an educated decision.......Rob

Last edited by Proform; 07-14-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:33 AM
SaltiDawg

Originally Posted by Proform
...My phone line is open to anyone that has questions. my goal here is to inform people and help make an educated decision.......Rob
As I stated in the other thread, I was particularly impressed with Rob's willingness to discuss with me and show me samples of the various competing film products out there. He was candid to the point of discussing the problem with the very film product he uses... orange peeling, just like the OEM paint job.

My wife's G35 has the OEM chin spoiler or lip and it indeed is covered with the clear film. Rob took a little less than three hours on my wife's car install and we waited there and ordered in lunch. Coffee and for us dog lovers a great dog on site.

I visited a half-dozen shops, including Rob's, before we decided on PROFORM. I could have got a complete Clear Bra for as low as $600, but settled on Rob's $1095. Part of my decision was based on my viewing him doing an install on a 350Z and also viewing a completed G35. I suspect you could call and ask if you could visit his shop during an install.

He may want to correct me, but it is my understanding that when a dealer does an install, in fact they sub it out to an independent installer. So, no matter how satisfied with a specific dealer's prices or repair capability, it may not be a strong indicator of Clear Bra quality as far as workmanship and material chosen. (Not to mention that the dealer presumably adds on his or her own markup.)

For the guys in VA, it's really not a bad drive - he's just off Rt 40 a couple of miles from I-70. Literally it was the first address my wife programmed into her Nav.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Jamaica2G
Florida G35 Club, General Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have been quite interested in these bras for a while now and I've finally read all 3 pages of this post... and I only have one question. How do I figure out which version of the 3M product THIS is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I know its cheap, but Im curious to figure out which version and what goes wrong with that version of the 3M film. Thanks a lot you guys

Adrian

Quick Reply: Clear Bra (Costs/Locations/Type)