Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help extreme hard water stains on windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 04:30 PM
bread
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy extreme hard water stains on windows

so i used the the Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover and it worked flawless on all my windows except my driver side. my driver side window has the WORST hard water stain, ive tried everything from a vinegar solution, alcohol/water/vinegar against cough(steel wool #0000), using more of the hard water spot remover (multiple layers), nothings working!? the surface feels rough (not from wool cause it was like that before), like if you were to glide a paper towel across it, you will feel a hesitation (which makes me believe maybe try clay bar), but they arent coming out? its insane, and yes its not on the inside. It wasn't there before but all of a sudden it appeared and its BAD, so visible in the sunlight even from a distance.

send help S.O.S its so bad
Old 12-13-2020, 10:22 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bread
so i used the the Chemical Guys Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover and it worked flawless on all my windows except my driver side. my driver side window has the WORST hard water stain, ive tried everything from a vinegar solution, alcohol/water/vinegar against cough(steel wool #0000), using more of the hard water spot remover (multiple layers), nothings working!? the surface feels rough (not from wool cause it was like that before), like if you were to glide a paper towel across it, you will feel a hesitation (which makes me believe maybe try clay bar), but they arent coming out? its insane, and yes its not on the inside. It wasn't there before but all of a sudden it appeared and its BAD, so visible in the sunlight even from a distance.

send help S.O.S its so bad
Claybar or if all else fails, use a razor blade to scrape it.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Zelf24
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem and purchased "Driven Extreme Duty Glass Cleaner":

Amazon Amazon

It's supposed to be the ultimate in water spot removal, and the ratings and before/after pictures are excellent.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:08 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
0000 steel wool. Spray some window cleaner and go over it with the steel wool then wipe it off.
Old 10-04-2024, 08:03 PM
Scott_442
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CERAMA BRYTE cooktop cleaner...has a little citric acid in it. Apply with DA if you have one, otherwise it'll take major elbow grease and maybe multiple passes....but worth the effort!
Old Today, 10:49 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 284 Likes on 238 Posts
How do you guys get these hard water stains? Sprinklers? Rain doesn't generate hard water stains based on my understanding.

These are actual deposits that sit on the surface of the glass correct? Seems that if this was the case, some glass cleaner and a razor would remove.

I clean the mirrors in my bathrooms this way and they look amazing when I'm done. Lots of splashes, hardwater spots, but they come off easily. We have very hard water, so I'm guessing sunlight is what sets the stain on the car vs. indoors.
Old Today, 11:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
How do you guys get these hard water stains? Sprinklers? Rain doesn't generate hard water stains based on my understanding.

These are actual deposits that sit on the surface of the glass correct? Seems that if this was the case, some glass cleaner and a razor would remove.

I clean the mirrors in my bathrooms this way and they look amazing when I'm done. Lots of splashes, hardwater spots, but they come off easily. We have very hard water, so I'm guessing sunlight is what sets the stain on the car vs. indoors.
I've always thought that air pollution of a variety of contaminants distill into droplets that bake under the sun, which is the situation bad for the clear coat.

Makes me think of trying to wash your car in 90°F temps under direct sunlight. It's a race with the chamois, LOL.
Old Today, 11:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Said Amir
0000 steel wool. Spray some window cleaner and go over it with the steel wool then wipe it off.
Same! Been using 0000 steel wool on glass and polished aluminum for years, when simple glass cleaner isn't enough to get the job done.

Four Naught FTW