Car Care & Detailing Reviews of car care products. DO NOT USE THIS SUBFORUM TO PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCTS.

Review Race Ramps - Restyler Ramps

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 04:19 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Race Ramps - Restyler Ramps

I'll post this review in this section since it seems the most logical and realistically these ramps intended purpose is generally for detailing and wrapping cars, albeit not the main reason I bought them. Let me preface this review with the understanding this was far from the most practical purchase I could have made however when it comes to working on the G practicality went out the window a long time ago. So first some back story: I have become deeply enamored with my suspension, learning how each component functions both independently and in conjunction with one another and as such I am continually tweaking things and adding/upgrading components. This leaves me frequently needing to make sure that my alignment isn't jacked up and I've never had much desire to pay someone else to do something if I can learn how to do it myself. The biggest issues I've faced in wanting to make appropriate adjustments to the suspension is that it should be under load to get accurate measurements (I have the quick trick alignment system too, perhaps that'll be another review for another day). The cheapest solution to that is gathering a slew of 2x4's and making some wheel cribs. I went that route, but I don't have the most level driveway and while I have a variety of jacks I was always annoyed by the time it took to jack it up and let it sit on cribs, especially when I didnt want to chock the wheels too much that it created unnecessary load on the suspension but also didnt want the car rolling off on my head AND I needed a flat surface for the wheels to turn/shift while making adjustments. I also struggled with getting enough height to work under the car and feel safe about it. Plenty of research and contemplation of how I solve this problem and eventually I settled on the Restyler Ramps from Race Ramps. They're not cheap (unless my wife asks, in which case, I got a great deal!) however they accomplished the goal and then some of what I wanted.

Here is the quick specs to know: There are 8 sections, no section weigh's more than about 40lbs. I went with the 16" width, but they come in 20" also. Fully assembled they are 225" long and the ramp itself as a 10.36 degree approach angle which means even at my lowered height I can easy get up and down the ramp without scraping. It's close but no problems. In the even you're slammed they make extenders which allows for a much lower approach angle. In total they are rated to hold 6000 pounds and are stated to provide 14" of lift, which in reality as you can sort of see from one of my pictures for my car I have closer to 16". I know I mentioned a less than level driveway, so I just used some linoleum tiles to level out the uneven areas. Additionally the ramps and center section can be removed while working on the car for extra maneuverability or used as a step to reach the roof. There are also end caps that are designed to assist in keeping you from driving off the end. Each piece is cut to lock into the other so when applying force (like driving up) they don't shift or move. They're constructed out of some sort of reinforced foam with a rough under coat like exterior so they provide really good grip and feel well constructed.

So: Worth it?
To me, absolutely! I had a ton of room under the car and was able to dial in the rear suspension with ease. I felt very safe under the car and not hesitant to let my 9 y/o daughter crawl under with me to show her what I was doing, as she loves to wrench too. I didnt get the same sketchy and uneasy feeling I would always have when using a big floor jack to crank each corner in the air (which would invariably end up lifting most of the car) to get the height I needed for wheel cribs. I was able to level the surface more easily as well. For those of you that have a Quick Jack (I admit I also have one of those, I know I have a problem, don't judge me) it provides roughly the same amount of clearance under the car, the only difference is the wheels are planted with the Race Ramps. Also for the record, I had tried using my Quick Jack to lift the entire car then set it down on wheel cribs but I couldn't get the wheels high enough off the ground to get any more than about 9 inches (that was with stacking blocks which also gets sketchy) as there is a lot of suspension travel before the wheels actually start to move.

I hope you guys find this review helpful, I am sure it won't be a readily sought out product, but in the event anyone is giving consideration to this I would certainly recommend it. You could build something similar out of wood but it won't be as light and easy to maneuver and depending on the construction could get more costly than you think in a depending on length of ramps, length and width of wood and height off the ground.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:41 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
They look nice. How much?
Old 06-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I bought the Race Ramps model RR-56 a few years ago for $220 shipped. That seemed like a whole lot of money for a pair of car ramps, but I agree with your point that they are completely worth it. Taller, wider, longer and stronger than your typical set of ramps. A must have for a car that's lowered, or for wide rear wheels.

Can't imagine what you paid for that set-up, however. I bet it was a fortune.

What do you do with them when not in use, stacked alongside the wall there in your garage maybe?
Old 06-02-2020, 04:46 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I looked it up and they are $1500. For $1500 you could have gotten a quick jack and had a lot more versatility.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:06 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester

Can't imagine what you paid for that set-up, however. I bet it was a fortune.

What do you do with them when not in use, stacked alongside the wall there in your garage maybe?
Yeah they were expensive about $1500 shipped freight for free. For now I have the stacked along side my car at the wall. They stack nicely three rows high so they’re not particularly noticeable at my townhouse especially when I cover them.

Originally Posted by stealthee
I looked it up and they are $1500. For $1500 you could have gotten a quick jack and had a lot more versatility.
I agree the quick jack is more versatile, if you read my review you'd see I have one. I use it a good bit. It just doesn’t serve all the purposes I needed. Safety is everything especially when I have a daughter who wants to learn and help, so that alone makes these worth the cost.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Gorgeous Coupe. Sexy exhaust. Spot-on fitment.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:13 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Gorgeous Coupe. Sexy exhaust. Spot-on fitment.
Thanks Rochester. Admittedly I can be a little OCD sometimes when it comes to that stuff. Especially ever since the G became the pleasure car. I’m not rushed through mods like I used to be so I can take my time and when I invariably become frustrated, I have learned to take a break for the day and come back to it later. I used to rush through then I’d make mistakes, break something, or hurt myself (or all three). Perhaps I’m finally learning patience as I age. Lol
Old 06-04-2020, 02:52 PM
Dentt42
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KidJai06
Yeah they were expensive about $1500 shipped freight for free. For now I have the stacked along side my car at the wall. They stack nicely three rows high so they’re not particularly noticeable at my townhouse especially when I cover them.

I agree the quick jack is more versatile, if you read my review you'd see I have one. I use it a good bit. It just doesn’t serve all the purposes I needed. Safety is everything especially when I have a daughter who wants to learn and help, so that alone makes these worth the cost.
Serious question: How are these safer than a Quick Jack that has bars to mechanically lock it in place once raised? I love the ramp arrangement, but can't seem to justify their cost in comparison.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:25 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dentt42
Serious question: How are these safer than a Quick Jack that has bars to mechanically lock it in place once raised? I love the ramp arrangement, but can't seem to justify their cost in comparison.
I would say they are equally as safe as the Quick Jack. The safety issues I was citing was more as it pertains to the sketchy feeling I got from jacking my car up to put it on wheel cribs and in doing so didnt get nearly the same height of the ramps. It can be done and is way cheaper but its just a pain to do and has more potential for things going sideways. The ramps take 5 minutes to setup, drive up, leave the car there as long as I need, drive down, and 5 mins to put away. The key for me is that I wanted to have my car higher off the ground but still have the suspension evenly loaded and wheels on. I absolutely know that the cost is high and not a practical choice for most people. I also know that I could have bought a number of parts for the G instead of purchasing these. All that said I do enough work on my cars and cars of family and friends they'll get used plenty. I will also still use my Quick Jack plenty.

I think it would be really cool, if Quick Jack made an alignment rack attachment whereas the car could be lifted by the wheels.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Dentt42
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KidJai06
I would say they are equally as safe as the Quick Jack. The safety issues I was citing was more as it pertains to the sketchy feeling I got from jacking my car up to put it on wheel cribs and in doing so didnt get nearly the same height of the ramps. It can be done and is way cheaper but its just a pain to do and has more potential for things going sideways. The ramps take 5 minutes to setup, drive up, leave the car there as long as I need, drive down, and 5 mins to put away. The key for me is that I wanted to have my car higher off the ground but still have the suspension evenly loaded and wheels on. I absolutely know that the cost is high and not a practical choice for most people. I also know that I could have bought a number of parts for the G instead of purchasing these. All that said I do enough work on my cars and cars of family and friends they'll get used plenty. I will also still use my Quick Jack plenty.

I think it would be really cool, if Quick Jack made an alignment rack attachment whereas the car could be lifted by the wheels.
That's all good info thanks, and I agree 100% on that last part.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I get genuinely anxious crawling underneath the car, no matter how secure it is. I feel it right in the pit of my stomach, and it takes a solid, conscious effort to push through the discomfort. Now, if the car is up on a lift, and I'm standing underneath, then I'm OK. (Of course, at that point there's someone else working on the car, LOL)

Anyway, squeezed between two tons and the garage floor... Don't like it.

And I'll admit to a rationale used when buying Race Ramps, assuming they're stronger than the cheap Rhino Ramps I used to own.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Mylicari_IPL
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Race ramps are awesome for lowered cars. Used them a few times for certain cars that were too low to put a jack under. And they look cool.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:34 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dentt42
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've seen posts of those quikjacks shooting out from the sides of cars because the pads weren't aligned properly. I also have completely crushed pinch welds so I couldn't use the pinch weld pads, how exactly are you lifting the car up with the quikjacks?
Old 06-09-2021, 06:26 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've seen posts of those quikjacks shooting out from the sides of cars because the pads weren't aligned properly. I also have completely crushed pinch welds so I couldn't use the pinch weld pads, how exactly are you lifting the car up with the quikjacks?
Most any tool used improperly can hurt you. If you take your time when lifting your car there is little to worry about with the QuickJack. I generally only lift my car with one set of blocks, my assumption is that posts about having the blocks shoot out is because they're stacking blocks on top of each other, which if done as directed is safe. The other key is to lift on level ground so that both sides lift evenly and don't put more force on one side of the car than the other. My car is lowered so I can't fit more than just the pinch weld blocks under my car so it's never been an issue.

In your situation I would try and fix your pinch welds enough to use the pinch weld blocks. A little time spent with some pliers, mallet, etc.. you can likely correct them enough to be used again. If you have a pair of ramps that should buy you enough room to do some work on the pinch weld area.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:15 AM
graimesrick
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Race Ramps Restyler Ramps are really convenient for working on your car. They make it easy to get under your vehicle without any hassle. The design is sturdy and reliable, providing great support. For guys who also need new tires, check out simpletire for a wide assortment. Generally, these ramps are a great investment for any car enthusiast.

Last edited by graimesrick; 07-16-2024 at 06:51 AM.